PDA

View Full Version : 240Ti facelift...upgrades.....

Rex Everything
09-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Looking for some input form the experts here on the forum.

I have a pair of 240Ti's that I just sent the woofers and tweeters off to Upland for refoam and a general check up. I figure while I have the cabs apart now would be a great time to recap the cross overs, do any other mods needed to the networks and refinish the cabs.

What are your suggestions for the networks. I'm looking at replacing the four large caps with Gen I SoniCaps and bypassing them with Gen II Sonicaps. Any caps suggestions out there? How about inductors, should they be upgraded or left alone? How about all those big sand resistors?

On refinishing them, they are in fairly nice condition with a few bumps and dings but nothing that is to terrible. The front is faded pretty good with under the grills being much darker. Would you suggest just a light sanding (what gritts....) and teak oil (brand...?) or more? I need a lot of help here as this will be my first speaker refin project. The grills are pretty darn nice but I may consider replacing the brown cloth. Anybody have a line on original cloth?

Audiobeer
09-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Show us some pics of what you have in way of the cabinets. :)

rdgrimes
09-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Usually, the only way to "fix" sun fading on the baffle is by sanding then staining the faded part to approximate the un-faded part. It's not perfect and also not for the faint of heart since you can make it look worse if you're not careful.