PDA

View Full Version : Modding JBL Lancer L55 speakers?

workaround1
09-06-2011, 01:59 PM
I've got four L55's in my 4.1 home theater/music system.
Two in fantastic condition.
Two with just slightly sunken in spiders and one bad tweeter or crossover. Haven't troubleshot that yet because the dang tweeter cover wouldn't pop off when I tried using a small flat blade screwdriver to pop it.

Anyways, I looked at the crossovers. They are what appears to be a couple capacitors covered in a pool of melted wax. Then a few resistors. So I'm thinking replacing the caps is out of the question.

What are some good, inexpensive mods to perform here?

First thing I'll do is replace the lansalloy surrounds with foam. But what else?
Can't afford to put big bucks into this right at the moment.

Just want to fix the tweeter/crossover issue and then apply light mods.

Don C
09-06-2011, 06:23 PM
The tweeter usually has a foilcal on it, a thin sheet of doughnut shaped aluminum backed with adhesive, this covers the mounting screws. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to remove it and put it back without wrinkling the metal. It's just cosmetic though. A hair dryer, or better, a heat gun, will soften the adhesive so that it will peel off. I wouldn't try to modify these, just fix them and enjoy them for what they are. JBLs later designs were usually three way, so that would make a logical mod. But I don't think that you have enough room on the front to place a midrange speaker.