PDA

View Full Version : Look what I found in my local classifieds!

bluejazzer
09-03-2011, 11:21 PM
a NEW pair of JBL T205 automotive speakers (1985). I couldn't believe it, he bought them back in the mid 80's and just never got around to install them. very impressive die-cast frame, ribbon-wire voice coil, the look and feel is typical JBL. the logo's just have to reattched. what a score!!!

Eaulive
09-03-2011, 11:35 PM
a NEW pair of JBL T205 automotive speakers (1985). I couldn't believe it, he bought them back in the mid 80's and just never got around to install them. very impressive die-cast frame, ribbon-wire voice coil, the look and feel is typical JBL. the logo's just have to reattched. what a score!!!
:useless:

lgvenable
09-06-2011, 05:10 PM
My favorite speakers for in the car were the old school Boston Acoustics. I dont know JBL for the car, but as anyone here knows I believe in their great home and pro level stuff, but my 2 sets of Boston Acoustic 3 ways are still kicking a$$ all these years later. They're my second set, as the original 2 sets of 3 ways are in my Mitz 3000GT VR4.

I built a second system with the better equalization in the late 90's, but have 12 of the old school z-220's which are 0.05% THD, 115 wpc 8 ohm, and are 2 ohm capable. Into a 8 ohm sub they deliver 325 wpc.

Each system is driven by 4 of the Zapco Z-220's at 115 watts per speaker, using two 10"Boston Acoustic pro level subs.

The original system won Dallas Crank it Up 1989 Stealth Install Mode (as it looked totally factory). Each system used Audiocontrol EQX's for signal processing; and a 5V headunit (Pioneer DEH800 PRS).

And now you know the reason I have a 35 dB hearing loss, as car stereos played at stratospheric levels are hazardous to your hearing. BTW the Zapco Z220 was the foreunner to their studio series amps.;)

Eaulive
09-06-2011, 05:15 PM
And now you know the reason I have a 35 dB hearing loss

OUCH! :crying:

bill8888
09-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Nice to see pictures of the old T series automotive speaker. I believe the T-205 is the smallest of four models that were produced around 1983 (maybe earlier), which included a 5 inch round and two 6X9 elliptical speakers (I don’t recall the model numbers). The T series was engineered by Dennis Crosson, and the industrial design was by Doug Warner. Except for the tweeter and midrange which was purchased from China, the rest of the speaker was manufactured in the Northridge plant alongside all the professional speakers.
The T series weren’t produced very long because of several problems. They were expensive to manufacture, they were bulky and heavy and took a lot of room to install, and the four mounting holes for the screws were too small and didn’t conform to any standard mounting pattern. Originally, they didn’t even include a mounting template to guide the consumer, which caused a lot of complaints. You needed to do a lot of cutting to fit most cars. Worst of all, they didn’t really sound that good. In the end, only the 6X9 three-way was produced for diehards. The T series was JBL’s first effort in automotive sound, and I don’t think they really understood the market at the time.

baldrick
09-09-2011, 01:24 PM
The T series weren’t produced very long because of several problems.

I thought T595 (6x9) was the best selling carspeaker JBL ever manufactured? It came out early 90s and has been for sale for aprox 15 years :) But I did in fact prefer the original T545 over the newer T595!

I had a bunch of T, TM and TL eary 90s, the T series also included subwoofers, up to 18"! It was the premium series until the GTI series arrived.

1audiohack
09-10-2011, 08:06 AM
I still have a bunch of the T series drivers.

In use, two T100's, two T80's.

On the shelf, three T150's, two T100's and four T65's. All need refoamed and one T150 needs to be reconed.

What I like about the T series subs is they don't take a ton of power to make them bark and the tweets in the 65's really sparkle.

elshout
03-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Just wanted to add some more pics for those who like this line. I had two pair of T545's in 1986 in a Chevy S-10 and they were nice. People thought I had several 10 inch subs, but no, just the 4 - 6x9's.

I now have a pair of the T595's and a pair of Cerwin Vega CS-18A in my listening room just for nostalgia. The very best 6x9's ever were the JBL t545, the Cerwin CS-18A and the Magnums(not sure who made these).

Pics are:
JBL T205
JBL T420
JBL T425
JBL T540
JBL T545

elshout
03-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Here are the Cerwin Vega CS-18A.

KenL
03-13-2016, 10:56 AM
In the early 90's I had a set of t545's mounted in speaker boxes and
a pair of 8" bazooka tubes stolen out of my car at a bowling alley one night.
Recently while cleaning out my garage I found the amps that I used with this
system. Now 20+ years later I am in the process of using these old amps to
rebuild a system similar to what Is once had. I loved the t545's. A friend had the
Cerwin Vega 6 x 9's around the same time and they were great too.

KenL
03-13-2016, 10:57 AM
These were nice too!

Cozmo
03-13-2016, 08:00 PM
I've got a pair of old school TL 900 in my garage still pumping away. Refoamed and mounted in boxes with my old alpine car stereo driving them. 65 watts per channel seemed pretty big back in the mid 80's.:p

elshout
04-16-2016, 12:14 PM
Any pictures of the TL 900?

I've got a pair of old school TL 900 in my garage still pumping away. Refoamed and mounted in boxes with my old alpine car stereo driving them. 65 watts per channel seemed pretty big back in the mid 80's.:p

DanMan
04-16-2016, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the pics and memories! The first time I heard the T545 was from a car passing me in 1985. I turned around and followed the guy home to find out what speaker he had. I thought for sure he'd shoot me or something. Of course, he said JBL. :)

Eviltreebz
06-17-2016, 02:04 AM
What are they worth? They are of no use to me as I have a full audio system and may sell these and upgrade my sub
brand new in box
never been used
Jbl t545 6x9 speakers

Eviltreebz
06-17-2016, 02:07 AM
What are they worth? They are of no use to me as I have a full audio system and may sell these and upgrade my sub
brand new in box
never been used
Jbl t545 6x9 speakers
Here's a couple pics

mech986
06-17-2016, 03:54 AM
Here's a couple pics

Worth may be difficult, coupled with the fact that you're not in the continental US? That makes shipping a cost issue as well.

Eviltreebz
06-17-2016, 04:14 AM
Here's a couple pics

Worth may be difficult, coupled with the fact that you're not in the continental US? That makes shipping a cost issue as well.

i ship this to the USA a lot so not a problem I have just had these out to test them and they sound amazing so got me thinking should I sell them haha n what would something like this go for roughly? They are brand new only time of use is when I tested they worked today

MiddleClassic
06-19-2016, 12:28 AM
SWEET! I have not seen these speakers since I owned them in the mid '80s. I had them installed in the rear deck of my '68 Dodge Dart. And as I remember, a tiny amp that somehow pushed tons of power drove them. Everybody who took a ride in my car was blown away by how loud and clean sounding those Cerwin Vega's were. I eventually blew them out ... or they wore out or whatever and I replaced them with newer Cerwin Vega's, but it just wasn't the same. And I also remember getting the CS-18A's for very cheap because my friends knew someone who worked at Cerwin Vega and he got them for me. Hot no doubt. I wouldn't buy them now knowing they were hot, but back then I just wanted to save a buck so I could buy more beer ... or something.