PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see the new JBL commercial?

JBLAddict
09-01-2011, 11:39 PM
just watching TV, and Maroon 5 is featured talking about their music and quality sound as they pan around to them docking their iPad in a JBL docking station, and show JBL speakers being loaded on stage pre-concert, etc

best I can recall this is the only JBL commercial I've ever seen :dont-know:

svollmer
09-02-2011, 04:39 AM
There's a few on You Tube, but I've never seen any while watching TV. A couple of them are from outside the USA.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jbl+commercial&aq=f

JBLAddict
09-02-2011, 08:49 AM
and the fact that it wasn't a Harman commercial, but a JBL commercial specifically. The end showed an Orange JBL triangle with the "exclamation point" but not the letters J-B-L, and in small font below it said, I think, "by Harman"

advertising, what a great concept :banghead: Wonder what is prompting this campaign now after all this time.

Guy in WNY
09-02-2011, 12:17 PM
M O N E Y
And how to make more of it!:applaud:

Rolf
09-02-2011, 02:23 PM
'i remember, it had to be in mid 80's at a FZ Concert in Drammen, a small town 40 miles from Oslo, FZ used only JBL speakers. I think about 48 075 (24 on each side) a lot of mid and woofers. Perfect sound. It was the first concert he played "Bobby Brown". (As far as I know). THAT was the days. Old, and new commercials does not matter any more. If I can find the money, I believe my last JBL's will be the DD66000. I will get a good price, but it depends if I can raise the money. One month from now will tell,

Eaulive
09-02-2011, 03:28 PM
best I can recall this is the only JBL commercial I've ever seen :dont-know:

And on the other end we are bombarded by "Bose :barf: wave radio" ads :banghead:

grumpy
09-04-2011, 12:15 AM
saw it. I was surprised (a TV speaker ad!?), but meh... I had almost forgot about it already.

BMWCCA
09-04-2011, 06:59 AM
Wonder what is prompting this campaign now after all this time.
Looking at it optimistically I'd have to say someone at Harman must have awakened to the value of the JBL name and legacy.

The realist in me would counter that it's too little, too late.

Perhaps a new group of bean-counters were trying to figure out just what has gone wrong and how all the money dumped into the group (even beyond executive compensation) has not produced any tangible financial upturn. Leveraging the JBL name in such a way as this commercial does should be encouraging to JBL aficionados such as those here at LH. Until we realize even if it revitalizes interest in JBL, it is no longer the JBL we knew and loved. And never will be again.
:banghead:

cosmos
09-04-2011, 07:24 AM
Looking at it optimistically I'd have to say someone at Harman must have awakened to the value of the JBL name and legacy. :banghead:

In reality, it is likely the marketing department trying to capitalize on the remaining value of that history with what remains of JBL. Let's face it, JBL walked away from anything remotely approximately high end consumer market in the US years ago. Just try to go find consumer high end JBL in the States...

Now that products have been moved offshore, they need to promote the brand that sold itself before. Bose on the other hand, has always known that it needed to promote the brand, something JBL took for granted since the 70s.

The realist in me would counter that it's too little, too late.

Perhaps a new group of bean-counters were trying to figure out just what has gone wrong and how all the money dumped into the group (even beyond executive compensation) has not produced any tangible financial upturn. Leveraging the JBL name in such a way as this commercial does should be encouraging to JBL aficionados such as those here at LH. Until we realize even if it revitalizes interest in JBL, it is no longer the JBL we knew and loved. And never will be again.

Unfortunately, unless JBL becomes a phoenix, it is too late. The damage has been done, the edge of the sword has cut through the arteries of blood supplying viable life (in our area of interest). It remains to be seen if they can remain viable commercially and in Pro Sound. From our perspective (mine at least), it seems doubtful. From my consumers' point of view, what remains of JBL is fond memories of vintage products. If you want the good stuff, you either have to go to Japan or buy 20+ year old stuff..

BMWCCA
09-07-2011, 01:23 AM
http://reviews.audioreview.com/harmans-%E2%80%9Chear-the-truth%E2%80%9D-campaign-top-musicians-who-want-fans-to-listen-to-music-as-it-was-intended-to-be-heard

Though it makes me cringe to see this a-hole's name attached to anything mentioning integrity and JBL in the same sentence:
"The JBL brand is renowned worldwide by musicians and sound engineers, and our mission is to ensure their musical integrity is faithfully recreated through JBL products,” said Dinesh Paliwal, chairman, president and CEO of HARMAN.

svollmer
09-07-2011, 04:29 AM
Last night we saw the JBL commercial with Maroon 5 on an episode of Burn Notice (USA Network) that I had recorded. Here's a link FWIW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYGMBP0WWyA

BMWCCA
09-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Here's a link FWIW:

Or why not go directly to the source? http://www.jbl.com/beta/about/content.jsp?id=hearthetruth

Lee in Montreal
09-08-2011, 04:45 AM
Last night we saw the JBL commercial with Maroon 5 on an episode of Burn Notice (USA Network) that I had recorded. Here's a link FWIW:

What a lame commercial. They could have advertized any product, like diapers for oldies, a bank or soap, in the same exact manner. The way a message is conveyed is part of the message and how it is perceived. If you are a real leader, you speak like a leader. Not the case in this commercial.

JBL is to speakers what BMW or Mercedes are to cars. I didn't feel it in the commercial. No legacy, no brand equity. Just bland blabla. Was it a McDonald commercial I've just seen?

hjames
09-08-2011, 07:34 AM
What a lame commercial. They could have advertized any product, like diapers for oldies, a bank or soap, in the same exact manner. The way a message is conveyed is part of the message and how it is perceived. If you are a real leader, you speak like a leader. Not the case in this commercial.

JBL is to speakers what BMW or Mercedes are to cars. I didn't feel it in the commercial. No legacy, no brand equity. Just bland blabla. Was it a McDonald commercial I've just seen?

Nah, MackieDees has jingles, friendly username, and (often) a pretty face for their target audience ...
JBL ads have been like ads from accountants ... blah blah blah! no ZING to 'em!

spkrman57
09-09-2011, 09:29 AM
I think the legacy of what we refer to as "JBL" left us a few years ago.:(

Now, it's just about the $$$!:banghead:

Ron sends...

Titanium Dome
09-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Legacy can mean a lot of things, but it comes from the idea of money that a deceased person leaves behind to the succeeding generation. Over time it has become generalized to mean something handed down by a predecessor, not just money, but things, ideas, processes, etc.

I know for some fans, JBL is already dead and buried, and its legacy is in past excellent, favored, or revered products; storied names in audio history and the brilliant engineering and design they brought forth; painstaking craftsmanship in American and European factories; and leadership in technical innovation and implementation.

However, I still hold a different view, that JBL is not dead, its legacy is not completely wasted away, and its brand is not completely robbed of its value. As long as people like Devantier, Moro, Toole, Olive, Timbers, etc., are still affiliated with the brand (or the parent company) either on a daily basis or more informally in "retirement" contributions, excellent products in the JBL tradition will still be made (whether in China or Mexico or wherever), a lot of consumer-level, commoditized stuff will be made, and Harman will struggle with its management and marketing.

So I am glad to see the commercial. If the goofy-looking but ostensibly good sounding speakers sell, then there just might be a K2 S9900-SE or 250Be.

JBLAddict
09-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Yes, the commercial is not the ideal message and content those on this forum would like to see NOW, but it's a LONG AWAITED START toward getting the name back in the psyche of the purchasing public.

Plus starting with the theme of "hear the truth" of music the way it's meant to be heard begins with the exact correct theme (quality audio) and is IMO world's better than the alternative reentry theme of "hey buy our $99 iProduct docking station"

at least focusing on QUALITY SOUND, and inserting the word "audiophile" into the message opens the door to continuing that theme with reintroduction of the high end line up at a later date. Maybe going after the younger generations by initially appealing to their sense of portable music and relevent musicians, can pull them later to the bigger and better stuff. Note that the ad campaign ends by appealing to those already on this forum with Night Ranger and Styx :D

Rolf
09-10-2011, 06:25 AM
Take a look at this link.

It's in Norwegian so most will not understand the words.

Regarding the prices you can divide by 5.5 to get the approx in $US.

http://www.lydogbilde.no/nyheter/nye-jbl-klassikere

Eaulive
09-12-2011, 06:38 AM
Take a look at this link.

Regarding the prices you can divide by 5.5 to get the approx in $US.

http://www.lydogbilde.no/nyheter/nye-jbl-klassikere

Are those current available models or is this NOS? :blink:
Is there a difference in line-up between America and Europe? If so, why?

more10
09-12-2011, 07:47 AM

Google translate (http://translate.google.se/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lydogbilde.no%2Fnyheter%2Fnye-jbl-klassikere). Norwegian "nok" is badly traslated to NOK (norwegian money), but should be "only". Unfortunately google will not do currency conversion :-)

herve M
09-12-2011, 12:59 PM
New in France: 4312E and 4429:):)
video link:
http://www.cinenow.fr/articles/25163-jbl-4312-et-4429-des-enceintes-mythiques-ressurgissent-du-passe

Titanium Dome
09-12-2011, 03:41 PM
New in France: 4312E and 4429:):)
video link:
http://www.cinenow.fr/articles/25163-jbl-4312-et-4429-des-enceintes-mythiques-ressurgissent-du-passe

Nice!

At 0:40 of the 4312 the JBL rep is giving everyone the ol' oiseau. :D

Rolf
09-13-2011, 01:49 AM
Are those current available models or is this NOS? :blink:
Is there a difference in line-up between America and Europe? If so, why?

This is brand new models, just entered the marked. They have been available in Japan for some time, and as I understand the networks has been changed to fit our taste in European and US sound.

Are they not available in the US?

hjames
09-13-2011, 03:12 AM
This is brand new models, just entered the marked. They have been available in Japan for some time, and as I understand the networks has been changed to fit our taste in European and US sound.

Are they not available in the US?

We've been over this a buncha times in the past.
There are a number of Japan-only monitors that JBL has on the market that were made in the US and sold in Japan but not sold in the US. Some US folks wanted to buy them and found it was nearly impossible without using a 3rd party to buy them in Japan and ship them back!
Harman has probably moved the build offshore since the first discussions of those models, but they are still not sold in the US and are apparently now sold in other non-US locations.

Sorry, don't have time to search for the older threads now - but I can recall pictures from a tour of Northridge and, I think, even some pictures of some of those new models during the assembly phase.

4313B
09-13-2011, 06:11 AM
Legacy can mean a lot of things, but it comes from the idea of money that a deceased person leaves behind to the succeeding generation. Over time it has become generalized to mean something handed down by a predecessor, not just money, but things, ideas, processes, etc.

I know for some fans, JBL is already dead and buried, and its legacy is in past excellent, favored, or revered products; storied names in audio history and the brilliant engineering and design they brought forth; painstaking craftsmanship in American and European factories; and leadership in technical innovation and implementation.

However, I still hold a different view, that JBL is not dead, its legacy is not completely wasted away, and its brand is not completely robbed of its value. As long as people like Devantier, Moro, Toole, Olive, Timbers, etc., are still affiliated with the brand (or the parent company) either on a daily basis or more informally in "retirement" contributions, excellent products in the JBL tradition will still be made (whether in China or Mexico or wherever), a lot of consumer-level, commoditized stuff will be made, and Harman will struggle with its management and marketing.

So I am glad to see the commercial. If the goofy-looking but ostensibly good sounding speakers sell, then there just might be a K2 S9900-SE or 250Be.I guess some people just aren't willing to give them that much slack. I'd never buy another product of theirs and couldn't care less what they do going forward. I do realize that the folks who still have jobs would like to keep them though. I feel just as bad for them as I do for the unemployed. Cheap labor is quite intoxicating to people who make $40 million bucks a year. I've no doubt they'd prefer slaves or children. Good thing we finally outlawed those practices. I'll bet that wrecked their day... :rotfl:

Globalize Labor :D

coctostan
09-13-2011, 05:04 PM
This is part of a 3 year marketing campaign for TV, radio, print and billboards. The JBL rep that did the K2 Synthesis demo at Cedia last week showed a different ad as the first part of the demo. It was a better ad that emphasized the entirety of JBL from studio, concert to home. It was a waste of 2 minutes of demo time and a waste of the short amount of time I had to listen to 3 K2 S9900's in a 12.4 setup.

This seems to be an attempt at a full resurrection of the JBL brand. It seems a little silly to be honest. Most people pick an iPod dock based on looks (although I do have a JBL dock in my daughter's room that isn't half bad for what it is). I think the ship has sailed but maybe three years of media blitzing can change things.

4313B
09-14-2011, 05:47 AM
This seems to be an attempt at a full resurrection of the JBL brand. It seems a little silly to be honest. Most people pick an iPod dock based on looks (although I do have a JBL dock in my daughter's room that isn't half bad for what it is). I think the ship has sailed but maybe three years of media blitzing can change things.Their current strategy is to sell at least 7 billion iPod docks. The other "stuff" is ancillary. (The global population will reach 7 billion by the end of 2011.)