PDA

View Full Version : JBL Metregon System 205 - please help

Plink
08-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Can somebody give me an idea of how good a Metregon sounds? The one I am looking at has 130A, 275 HF drivers, 5040 horns, and N600 crossovers. I have owned Altec Valencia, Altec Model 19, Jensen CN-100, and numerous other speakers (mostly of modern ilk).

Where does the Metregon rank? Should I eliminate it as an option?

I am attracted to it for it's WAF. I use tubes: both push pull and single ended.

Also, is there a way to return single posts using the search function? I searched but I received entire threads for the results. Finding long threads where Metregon is mentioned, say, on page 18, does not help me much as I don't have time to scan through every long thread.

Thanks!

Don McRitchie
08-24-2011, 07:55 PM
I'll answer the search question first. To get results as individual posts, click "advanced search". When that page loads, there should be two tabs at the top labeled "Search Single Content Type" and "Search Multiple Content Types". The second tab is the default. You want the first tab so that you need to click on "Search Single Content Type." At the bottom of that page, there is the option to show results as posts or threads. Just make sure that the radio button next to "Posts" is selected.

With regard to the Metregon, I have yet to hear one, but I am familiar with the Paragon that is its bigger brother. As with the Paragon, the Metregon was designed with a unique dispersion concept that was intended to address limitations in early stereo recordings. It artificially added "space" to the sound stage at the sacrifice of accurate stereo imaging. Personally, I am not a fan of that sound.

The drivers in the system you encountered are sonically similar to those used in the Valencia so that should give you some indication of the timberal response. Since you have owned Model 19's, you are likely aware that the Valencia, and thus this Metregon, won't have the frequency extension at either end of the spectrum compared to that later design. Regardless, the Metregon is a unique enough animal that you really need to listen to it before you can assess whether this is a sound that you would appreciate.

Titanium Dome
08-24-2011, 10:31 PM
The Metregon is a classic piece of furniture whose craftsmanship and architectural appeal far outweigh its sonic qualities.

Plink
08-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Thanks gents for the comments and Don, thanks for the info on the searching. This helps a great deal. I think I should probably pass. It is very tempting, however. I have to admit that I like things that look good and the speakers looks really good...if one is a fan of mid-century design

Soundstaging is not a big deal with me as I prefer other aspects of music reproduction. Additionally, I listen to a lot of mono lps.

rdgrimes
08-25-2011, 10:21 AM
I've always suspected that the metra and para models must create some pretty significant phase shifts and comb filtering. Am I wrong? They are pretty much designed to create early reflections, which we now know is a bad thing.

Rolf
08-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Bye it! after a few years it will be worth $$$$more than now.

Maron Horonzakz
08-27-2011, 05:52 AM
Ridgrims.. I had a Metragon,,Stil have three Paragons,,, NO, first reflections are not a bad thing,,and no lobing accours,, Reflections & diffractionn are common in your best concert halls,,One of the greatest is Vienna Symphony Hall,,Time alignment in the Paragon is the worst,,Metragon is better..Stereo imaging does not occour in the GONS,,But it does not occour in the Heartsfield either.. In fact Imaging does not occour in many recordings,,with multi micing.

roads31
08-27-2011, 06:32 AM
Hi Plink,

I've had a Metregon for about 4 years now and love the sound. The only way I could describe it as I did to my friend is that it produces a modified stereo effect. Not good or bad, unless you are really into imaging which by the sound of it you aren't. The huge plus for it is the enormous angle of dispersion, filling the room with sound, not just a sweet spot while you sit in a chair or couch. I drive mine with a pair of MC40's and reworked the crossovers.
If it is still available, it might be worth a listen.

Good luck,
Gary

Rolf
08-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Hi. You got three Paragons... ... Would you conceder selling one to me?

Ridgrims.. I had a Metragon,,Stil have three Paragons,,, NO, first reflections are not a bad thing,,and no lobing accours,, Reflections & diffractionn are common in your best concert halls,,One of the greatest is Vienna Symphony Hall,,Time alignment in the Paragon is the worst,,Metragon is better..Stereo imaging does not occour in the GONS,,But it does not occour in the Heartsfield either.. In fact Imaging does not occour in many recordings,,with multi micing.

doodle6
08-28-2011, 07:51 PM
I have a Metregon with the D130 and 075 two way, but I've wondered if it wouldn't make sense to transplant a 4333 three way system into it. How stupid am I? Feel free to tell the truth.

Maron Horonzakz
08-29-2011, 05:47 AM
NAAAAHHH,,, Just put a Le8T in the Metragon.

Plink
09-07-2011, 04:33 PM
I passed and I am glad I did. Found an old love close to home - Altec Model 19s. They have been in my living room for a week and I love them. Should have never sold my previous pair!

jw5115
12-21-2011, 02:53 PM
best way to listen to either the Metragon or the Paragon is to reverse your channels ,
get a comfy cushon and sit on the floor with your back to the "GON"
WHO NEEDS HEADPHONES
jw5115

Fort Knox
12-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Buy it ....You'd have a blast playing with the thing ....
That's what its all about!!:bouncy:

Fort Knox
12-22-2011, 02:56 AM
WithMetregon was designed with a unique dispersion concept that was intended to address limitations in early stereo recordings. It artificially added "space" to the sound stage at the sacrifice of accurate stereo imaging. Personally, I am not a fan of that sound.

sounds like personal B S to me