PDA

View Full Version : Andy (AA's) Speakers

Joe Alesi
08-20-2011, 06:55 AM
Hello all,

Our son, Andrew (AA) has been waiting patiently for something special in the way of monitor loudspeakers for his music listening, mixing and production exploits. It seems that for most nowdays a "little SPL" is the norm, esp. for dance music. I've tried to impress on him that SPL is nothing if it's compressed or distorted and as a musician he has a good ear for what's sounds right, so I supppose I talked him into, talking me in to getting him something special that he'd be happy with for a long time.

Unfortunatley he knows about my various audio stashes around the place and said how about we make something special and use these.... holding up a pair of JBL Alnico compression drivers.

Hmmmmmmmm ...... OK I thought, it would make a good father/son project, impart some skills, etc. So over several weeks with an hour here and another couple hours there, we arrived at the stage of horns/drivers fitted to a new baffle on a lovely (recycled, i.e: minimum work !! http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/images/smilies/smile.png) timber enclosure fitted with a 10 inch woofer and 10 inch horn with JBL 2420 or 2461/2410 compression driver. Unfortunately getting JBL 10's in Australia is not that easy, so we've settled for a pro-audio/high sensitivity generic 10' for now. They speakers definetly are a "healthy" size for a desk, but ..... meh.

There's plenty of work to still complete these. ... making/fitting the compression driver supports, crossovers, measurement, integration with his subwoofer etc....

But they look lovely. Here is an iphone pic, with more to follow when we get time.

Best
JA

hjames
08-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Wow - they look really cool! Good doin's !

HCSGuy
08-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Great looking - I like the forward front baffle (I assume it is in front of the old one) - looks great, doesn't need a grill. what kind of horn are you using? I hope they turn out sounding as good as they look!

Mr. Widget
08-20-2011, 02:38 PM
I agree... very nice indeed!

Widget

Joe Alesi
08-21-2011, 03:35 AM
Thanks all for the positive feedback.

For info the horns are a 10 inch unmarked set I've had for a good while. They look like the Dayton Audio horns/waveguides and wouldn't be surprised if they are such or an unbadged version of them.

I made the forward baffle step on purpose as I feel it adds something aesthetically . I know that I can use them as is, without grilles, but if I want to add a grille later it would be around and over the baffle step and fully covered with cloth. I used a 1 inch thick baffle to replace the thinner particle board board that was in place.

We need to do some more work before sitting down for a good listen. Now if I could only do the same for my own speaker building projects...:D

Best
JA

lowpoke
08-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Great work Joe. They look impressive.