PDA

View Full Version : Softening hard Lansalloy surrounds on LE14A?

Doc Mark
08-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Greetings, All,

Last night, Sweet Bride and I visited some good friends and got to see a "new" pair of JBL Lancer 99 speakers!! He got them from a friend of his, who sold his entire system, including the JBL's, in a single package deal!! These 99's are in good condition, but as might be expected, the Lansaloy surrounds are a bit hard. Seems I remember reading about the judicious use of brake fluid to "safely" soften those old hard surrounds, but I cannot find that info by using the "search" function. Does anyone remember this "fix", and if so, can you please point me in the right direction, so that I may pass this information along to my friend? I found plenty of threads on removing the old Lansaloy surrounds, and replacing it with a new foam surround from Rick Cobb, and that may end up being the way my friend has to go. But, his surrounds do not appear to be cracked at all, just hard, and if he can bring them back to soft, that may work well for him. Your expertise and advice will be greatly appreciated, Folks, as always! Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc (still lovin' his L300's!!) ;):D

JeffW
08-18-2011, 07:14 PM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?27548-Lansaloy-DOT3-Surround-Treament-for-LE-14A-and-others

Doc Mark
08-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Greetings, Jeff,

Outstanding, Sir! That's exactly what I was seeking, and I will pass it along, forthwith, to my friend! Many thanks for your quick and efficacious reply!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc