PDA

View Full Version : Electro-Voice Patrician 700....in the HOUSE!!!

Cooljjay
08-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Well there not JBL Hartsfield and technical their not in the house but there pretty close to it. Just had to share this find. You don't see these much...and I never thought I would find a pair. I can't wait to run some tube gear through them. They haven't been played for 5 years and they had a B&O system hooked up to them....The bass was amazing....can't wait to get them in the house. My friend decided to pose by them....hes complaining now because he insist I will be up till 4 in the morning listening to them...He may be right :D

http://i54.tinypic.com/j9rd68.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/11qpqw6.jpg

Eaulive
08-16-2011, 04:41 AM
More pictures, quick! :applaud:

Wardsweb
08-16-2011, 05:17 AM
Congratulations! A very nice acquisition.

Regis
08-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Looking forward to hearing your listening impressions! I've always wanted to hear a pair and it'd be nice to know what to expect.

Altec Best
08-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Congratulations ! I never had the opportunity to hear the EV Patricians.So I'm very interested in your assesment of them !! I think they 30" foam woofers in them,curious as to how they sound.Congrats !!!! :applaud:

Cooljjay
08-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Okay, I think I may have killed myself but that are in the house. Only destroyed a reel to reel, the bird cage and a few new scratches in the floor :banghead: There is a chance they are to big but OMG the sound is amazing. I need to still polish the cabinets and clean the pots. One sounds brighter then the other. Heres a few photos. Now I am curious about something, the 30" styrofoam woofers appear to have a foam surround and I see cracks :crying: I didn't see them going all the way through. I have no idea what to do about that. I hear some scratching from behind one of the 30" could be a dirty pot but sitting on the couch I hear no unwanted noise...just bliss...Whats your thoughts?

Heres some much anticipated photos....these guys aren't going anywhere for a long time...my god its like moving a side by side fridge.

http://i55.tinypic.com/rje889.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/fwu2s7.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2prwc3k.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/206gf1f.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/5af2hj.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/2cqiupw.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/o0ok7.jpg

Word of caution...if you find a pair.....don't play classical....its quite spin chilling...:eek:

Eaulive
08-16-2011, 03:24 PM
I can't make it out... how is the 30" woofer integrated in this thing? :dont-know:

Cooljjay
08-16-2011, 05:22 PM
I can't make it out... how is the 30" woofer integrated in this thing? :dont-know:

How do they hide things in prison? Its up the rear :p

Took me a while to figure it out, it points out the back and to access the speaker there are about 2 dozen screws on the bottom of each cabinet. Its a tight fit but they manage to get it in there...how they figured out the design is beyond me. The person I bought them from said he might have the original documents for them somewhere. He said when he bought the house 25 years ago, he got the papers for everything that was in it. I left him my name/number...it would be great to see original brochures and the like for them....not much on the internet.

Eaulive
08-16-2011, 05:27 PM
How do they hide things in prison? Its up the rear :p

Took me a while to figure it out, it points out the back and to access the speaker there are about 2 dozen screws on the bottom of each cabinet. Its a tight fit but they manage to get it in there...how they figured out the design is beyond me. The person I bought them from said he might have the original documents for them somewhere. He said when he bought the house 25 years ago, he got the papers for everything that was in it. I left him my name/number...it would be great to see original brochures and the like for them....not much on the internet.

Ok, from the bottom, now it's clear.
If the picture where you see it could have been zoomed out just a little I wouldn't have to ask ;)

Thanks!

Great find, I hope you enjoy them!

Cooljjay
08-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Well as I feared they have now became livingroom decorations. I played them for awhile, I opened the back of one and the foam surround is shot. I have absolutely no idea how to repair them...I am at a lose

I called audivux and he says he has never heard of them having foam surrounds...hes going to do some checking...but I may be SOL...

http://i52.tinypic.com/b5ntp0.jpg

SEAWOLF97
08-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Well as I feared they have now became livingroom decorations. I played them for awhile, I opened the back of one and the foam surround is shot. I have absolutely no idea how to repair them...I am at a lose

I called audivux and he says he has never heard of them having foam surrounds...hes going to do some checking...but I may be SOL...

Our local recone/refoam shop has one of those 30's hanging on the wall ..unrepairable ...hope yours have better luck. :crying:

Cooljjay
08-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Our local recone/refoam shop has one of those 30's hanging on the wall ..unrepairable ...hope yours have better luck. :crying:

Me too...I am going to contact EV tomorrow and ask if they can put a wanted poster in the stock room. audivux said he has placed new coils in them and at one time they had a recone kit for them....but how much will it cost? In the long run I now I will get back what ever I put into them but I just don't want to sink everything I own into them...if only I can enlarge a smaller surround.

Ducatista47
08-16-2011, 08:31 PM
From the Telex archives:

The 30W woofer engineering design sheet
http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/30W%20EDS.pdf

The Patrician 800 engineering design sheet, sharing the 30W and four way design with the 700
http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/Patrician%20800%20EDS.pdf

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/DIY%20Manuals/
On this page is access to a number of manuals on the Patrician IV, a four way with an 18" woofer. DIY cabinet making, assembly, the works. It is amazing what DIY guys were expected to do in those days. My father was one of them. The instructions are complete, including how do do woodwork with plywood; even hand sawing tips. They caution "The 200 cycle horn element is the most difficult part of the assembly, and most men felt it advisable to get it together first and out of the way." Look at it and you will see why!

This cabinet was designed by Roy Carlson. One Lewis Hoodwin credited "A gentleman named Klipsch" for the corner horn concept he used.

I am sorry that the 700 did not get this exhaustive treatment in the archives.

If anyone is interested, the University speaker archives are here too. I even found my EVM12L guitar amp speaker in there.

Wardsweb
08-17-2011, 05:29 AM
I don't know how DIY handy you are but you may be able to fix them yourself. Measure the diameter of the cone and of the basket. This distance between the two circles is your gap. Add an inch to the gap for over lap and then add another inch for roll. The idea here is to cut a ring of foam from flat stock. When you pinch the two ends together you make a foam roll. Check your local listing for "foam supplier" or "foam fabricator".

Glue one side to the cone and let dry. Now bend the foam to create the roll and glue to the basket. This last part is very tricky, as the foam will want to straighten out. Make a ring out of cardboard or some hard material to place over the foam and use binder clips from an office supply to hold that down to get even pressure. An optional step would be to make a ring from copper or aluminum tubing to place in the gap, so when you glue to the basket it forces a uniform roll.

This won't be factory and odds are the foam supplier won't have the exact foam, but close will get you functional. Then again, now that they are "no good" and in your way, I would be kind enough to take them off your hands. :D

Cooljjay
08-17-2011, 07:21 AM
I don't know how DIY handy you are but you may be able to fix them yourself. Measure the diameter of the cone and of the basket. This distance between the two circles is your gap. Add an inch to the gap for over lap and then add another inch for roll. The idea here is to cut a ring of foam from flat stock. When you pinch the two ends together you make a foam roll. Check your local listing for "foam supplier" or "foam fabricator".

Glue one side to the cone and let dry. Now bend the foam to create the roll and glue to the basket. This last part is very tricky, as the foam will want to straighten out. Make a ring out of cardboard or some hard material to place over the foam and use binder clips from an office supply to hold that down to get even pressure. An optional step would be to make a ring from copper or aluminum tubing to place in the gap, so when you glue to the basket it forces a uniform roll.

This won't be factory and odds are the foam supplier won't have the exact foam, but close will get you functional. Then again, now that they are "no good" and in your way, I would be kind enough to take them off your hands. :D

This is what I was thinking too. My other pondering was since these were cloth and never foam could I not just use like and artist canvas material? I don't know how to crimp it like the original, heres a photo I stole off the bay. If you look at the original the surround isn't one piece rather 6 pieces. My worry about making one from foam is that the ring may want to straighten back once on the cone. Though I could glue it to the back of the cone on the angle then attach to the basket....why does it have to be 30" :crying:

52495 (http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/6/1/4/1/0/1/webimg/498020459_o.jpg)

Wardsweb
08-17-2011, 07:53 AM
This is what I was thinking too. My other pondering was since these were cloth and never foam could I not just use like and artist canvas material? I don't know how to crimp it like the original, heres a photo I stole off the bay. If you look at the original the surround isn't one piece rather 6 pieces. My worry about making one from foam is that the ring may want to straighten back once on the cone. Though I could glue it to the back of the cone on the angle then attach to the basket....why does it have to be 30" :crying:

If it is actually cloth, you could try some speaker dope. It is like a thick paint that you brush on and dries like rubber. Or even take a look at what Plastidip has to offer in non-hardening coatings you could brush on.

Cooljjay
08-17-2011, 07:56 AM
If it is actually cloth, you could try some speaker dope. It is like a thick paint that you brush on and dries like rubber. Or even take a look at what Plastidip has to offer in non-hardening coatings you could brush on.

Yep if mine were still cloth I forsure would do that, and it would be easy but at some point mine were switched to foam. So theres nothing left to coat. I will have to measure the thickness of a foam surround and hunt for a large sheet. When I run out of other options for originals.

Oldmics
08-17-2011, 08:34 AM
A very common practice in refoam world is to segment the foam edge and overlap the edges.

Not an especially pretty site but leaves you with a working unit.

I would get two 18" foams and start trimmin both foams to fit one cone.Overlap and glue.

MMMMM Glue :bouncy:

Oldmics

Altec Best
08-17-2011, 12:18 PM
I would also call GPA after calling EV. Maybe Bill Hanuschak could help there as they repair EV drivers too.I seen a brand new 30" EV woofer awhile back still in the box on the Bay.You don't see parts for them very often though.

Cooljjay
08-17-2011, 12:56 PM
SWEET!!! I called ev and the gave me a number to the guy who does their older stuff. The place is called Speaker Workshop and the phone is 260-426-8742. He states that he is waiting on the factory to finish making the new cones/surrounds. He said they already remake the voice coils and spiders. He has 8 baskets waiting new cones himself. What he told me to do in the mean time is to go buy some spandex, cut a circle and glue it on. For 27$ he is sending me the glue and sealer. So everyone out there, the parts for the speakers are no longer unobtainium. :applaud:

richluvsound
08-17-2011, 01:00 PM
What a gift to be a guardian of something like that .... Nice tube amps ? ... :D

Congrats dude !

Rich

Audiobeer
08-17-2011, 08:22 PM
:applaud:What a find! Congrats br other!

Altec Best
08-17-2011, 08:24 PM
SWEET!!! I called ev and the gave me a number to the guy who does their older stuff. The place is called Speaker Workshop and the phone is 260-426-8742. He states that he is waiting on the factory to finish making the new cones/surrounds. He said they already remake the voice coils and spiders. He has 8 baskets waiting new cones himself. What he told me to do in the mean time is to go buy some spandex, cut a circle and glue it on. For 27$ he is sending me the glue and sealer. So everyone out there, the parts for the speakers are no longer unobtainium. :applaud:

Very Cool Indeed ! :bouncy: Congrats & Congrats Again ! :) That is good news for lots of Folks.

spkrman57
08-18-2011, 09:45 AM
I have a pair (empty) of EV prototypes (?) that use the back horn-loaded design like what I see in the pics posted by the OP.

Mine were made for a 18" driver and a frontloaded 8" cone driven horn. The typical midhorn/tweeterhorn rounded out the design.

Mine had Georgian 400 crossovers before I bought the cabinets (w/out drivers and crossovers) and when I get some room will need to load them up with drivers and my own crossovers and see what happens.

I'm glad I saw this thread as these are the only EV designs that I have found with this bass horn loading.

Thanks, Ron

10 Watt Street
08-18-2011, 02:54 PM
"I'm glad I saw this thread as these are the only EV designs that I have found with this bass horn loading."

On the pro side, the original Eliminator 1 was fully horn loaded with a 15" woofer. Essentially the cabinet was a variant of the Klipsch LaScala formula. EV supplied drivers to Klipsch and Klipsch supplied horn cabinet designs.

On the home side, the Cardinal was set up as a fully horn loaded corner horn, much like the Klipschorn.

Cooljjay
08-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Damn it....these things keep seeming to be getting worse. I figured the unmatched sound was from one woofer being more disintegrated then the other. I just pulled the grille and the t250 midrange is dead....Now how the heck to I fix that? :banghead:

Johnlw7
08-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Speaker Services in Memphis has much experience with Patricians as they have rebuilt a set that is in their shop.Used them many times great service and honest to boot.

Cooljjay
08-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Speaker Services in Memphis has much experience with Patricians as they have rebuilt a set that is in their shop.Used them many times great service and honest to boot.

Yep just called them and they said they couldn't repair the driver, parts aren't available for it any longer. They could try to repair it ie corroded leads etc but they couldn't guarantee it could be fixed. I then talked to them about the woofers, he said if I was local they would be willing to attempt a refoam on them with a couple of 18" surrounds. But its like most of the other places I am still SOL

macaroonie
08-19-2011, 06:14 PM
My 2 cents. For your mid bass driver it is unlikely that the coil is toasted from being overdriven , in a very efficient system like that hardly any power is going to that driver under normal listening conditions.
Having said that some of the crossover components might be dodgy thereby allowing more power to hit that driver. My first guess would be metal fatigue somewhere probably the lead in wires. Check the solder joints first and if that does not work try metering the coil as close as you can physically get.
If you still get nothing you have to get surgical and take the cone out , find the solvent for the adhesives and eventually get it out of the basket.. Then you can examine the coil itself.
Please remember that as it stands this driver is a goner so you have nothing to lose , just be meticulous and have patience.

FWIW I repaied a burnt Altec compression driver by re soldering the coil by pulling one turn off of the winding and doing some micro soldering. To my amazement the joint took and the driver ran fine for as long as I owned it.

Good luck there chief , thats some horny pair of speakers you got there. Some patience and research will get them back and you will feel like a king.

10 Watt Street
08-19-2011, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=macaroonie;318849]"My 2 cents. For your mid bass driver"

He is referring to the T250 midrange driver, not the 12" direct radiator.

From time to time the diaphragms for the T250 show up on eBay. Alternatively, just buy an entire working T250 on eBay.

From experience, the entire crossover and connection panel on the Patricians is a likely source of problems. The pots and spring loaded terminals need a lot of cleaning. Same at the driver terminals.

Cooljjay
08-19-2011, 07:45 PM
He is referring to the T250 midrange driver, not the 12" direct radiator.

From time to time the diaphragms for the T250 show up on eBay. Alternatively, just buy an entire working T250 on eBay.

From experience, the entire crossover and connection panel on the Patricians is a likely source of problems. The pots and spring loaded terminals need a lot of cleaning. Same at the driver terminals.

I am going to keep an eye on ebay for a T250 as I want to get them stock, but was thinking for time being pick up a pair of t25's.

I believe the driver blowing was a result of the xover, before I picked up the speakers he said they weren't play for 5 years and were just turned on the day before...this could have sent a voltage spike to the t250. I removed the pots off the panel and cleaned them the best as possible...I couldn't figure out a way to disassemble them. Tomorrow I will order replacement capacitors. Looking at the originals they are for sure ticking time bombs and dated. Here is a photo of the xover(before pot cleaning). I also haven't cleaned the spring loaded terminals yet.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2dj4h8l.jpg

yucky
http://i53.tinypic.com/1604sp5.jpg

10 Watt Street
08-19-2011, 08:26 PM
The three pots covered in crystalline oxide growth is a bad sign. The T25 driver is a less expensive driver, not directly interchangeable in an ideal situation.

Check the bad T250 with a meter directly across the terminals, it may not be the culprit.

Cooljjay
08-19-2011, 09:02 PM
The three pots covered in crystalline oxide growth is a bad sign. The T25 driver is a less expensive driver, not directly interchangeable in an ideal situation.

Check the bad T250 with a meter directly across the terminals, it may not be the culprit.

Yep, these were in a home right across from the ocean...So I believe the saltwater spray may have helped with the growth...though I can't see in side them. Think I should replace them?

I took a vom across it, stuck the t350 lead to it and put a 9v to it and got nothing on anyof them. I then decided to open it up...bad idea...one screw had the crystals on it. I later found out that the when there was a diaphragm replacement available, that it came attach to the top piece and was installed as a unit. The diaphragm was glued in and was destoried when I open the driver. But it was doa before I opened it. I placed the vom on the coil and there was no signs of life...now I have a nice paperweight.

SEAWOLF97
08-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Yep, these were in a home right across from the ocean...So I believe the saltwater spray may have helped with the growth..

don't believe that's the case ...seems like the oxidation that we used to get on car battery terminals.

this flip ain't gonna be a quick & easy one ?

10 Watt Street
08-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Those pots are the same as used in the Electro-Voice AT37 controls. They used them on pretty much everything in those days, including the coax drivers.

Cooljjay
08-20-2011, 11:49 AM
this flip ain't gonna be a quick & easy one ?

My god why does everyone assume I flip everything I buy :banghead: Yes like most people who don't want to become hoarders, I sell off stuff when new things enter the house. I pay the bills this way so what? I am not just into selling stuff for profit. These are staying here, its going to be a project and I want to fix them. I will fix them up and use them for a some time how long I can't say, will something better come along? I can't say. If I wanted to flip them I could have numerous times because the person who I called gave my number to other callers. I am not a damn flipper...I don't want to turn this into a flipping thread, as this is for the restoration of a pair of patricians. Can we please keep this on track?

SoCalBob
08-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi:
I recently had a pair of 1950's T350's rebuilt by Tom Calvin at the vintage Electro-voice service center. The old T350's had a complicated cardboard wafer/diaphragm combination that was a bear to align and Tom was the only one with the parts and jigs to still do it. According to Tom, they are assigned all of the really old/rare EV stuff for repair. I saw in a previous post that you had their number: 260-426-8742, so you should give them a call and see if they still repair T250's.
As to the T350s, If yours has a white paint finish, then it probably takes one of the newer diaphragms that fit into a recess in the Tweeter cover. Any qualified shop should be able to fix these, or you can try it yourself - last time I bought one, they were about $22 from Electro-voice.
Good luck

Cooljjay
08-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Okay, well I feel like I need to do something with these. So I want to upgrade the capacitors to modern caps. Need some help though. I can't figure out which are electrolytic and what are regular. I believe the 3 cardboard cover ones are electrolytic and the white are standard film? I will have to run a few in parallel. The 3 cardboard covered ones are 140 25v, 140 25v, 100 25v. The white ones are 13.28 500v, 8.3 500v, 2.84 500v, 2.84 500v...Any help, will help.

http://i56.tinypic.com/29ld8oo.jpg

Cooljjay
08-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Got the crossover capacitors on the way. Got ahold of Bob Crites at critesspeakers.com. He helped me figure out the values and got all the caps together for me. Now we just have the woofers and dead mid to figure out. Then I will go see a shrink to figure out why I am working on these speakers :p

grumpy
08-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Talking to Bob was a good way to go.
I'd be of -no- help in the other dept :)
Nice to see that you're taking care of these
(even if they are from EV and related to that
K-brand ;) )

Cooljjay
08-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Well I didn't win the T250 that was on the bay...I bid 560$ and lost it :crying: Guess I will try for a t25a temporary till I find a replacement. I still haven't gotten my package with the glue and sealer to try on the 30W's. I am just going to use tacky glue. I received my capacitors the other day, I installed them all today. I must say the sound now is unbelievable even though I have the 30W's disconnected and a university horn taking the place of the T250. Before there was so much high end and no low end, now the SP12B is producing sooo much bass it is just great, everything is equaling out. The capacitors I used were sonicaps and ERSE' s non polar. I recommend anyone who has a pair of these to do that, you also really really want to ensure the capacitors are up to snuff because 2 of the 4 drivers are very hard to come by. With the speaker that had the dead T250, I found two cold soldered joints, the wires weren't even soldered together. On the other speaker there was a capicator lead that broke away from one of the caps. I also saved all the capacitors, I wonder if they will bring me big bucks on the bay :p

Cooljjay
08-31-2011, 05:25 PM
Well I removed one of the 30" woofers today and the spendex won't work the original foam material is an 1/8in thick. The spandex won't hold the cone up. So now I need to figure out where to get the foam. I have a sheet of foam that I will probably use but I need a protractor/compass to make the circle. I also need to figure out a way to shim the voice coils as centering them by feel may not work. I am pondering replacing them for now with 18" ev's? I could cut a board to fit the opening and mount the 18" to that.

http://i55.tinypic.com/qyhf5s.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/w6tnhd.jpg

Cooljjay
08-31-2011, 07:31 PM
I spent a while with the razor blade, careful cutting to old glue off the cone, can't use solvents on styrofoam speaker cones. I found some stuff in my garage that I may use for surrounds. Its the right thickness and resembles foam but is shiny and white, and made of plastic. It looks like all the foam sheets I can find the foam is to dense and not flexible enough. Heres some pictures.

http://i53.tinypic.com/szwnzo.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/wh0h6s.jpg
yep the cone trimming looks bad I know but I had to other way but to scrap it off.

Wardsweb
09-01-2011, 04:44 PM
The problem with the polyethylene foam is it tears easily. Have you tried your local yellow pages for foam fabricators. To bad you're not closer. There two local to me.

Cooljjay
09-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Well I called the speaker workshop again because I haven't gotten my glue/stiffener and I asked them if he can fix the T250 he said he should be able to or he may have another in stock...so I sent it off.

In the mean time I started to make my template for the surrounds, I have now decided to stay with the spandex idea. I have a hard time with circles so I opted to do a cardboard template so I wouldn't waste 5 yards of material. I actually did pretty good. Tomorrow I will start cutting material. I think this may actually work. The woofers aren't a big part of the sound reproduction circuit in the ev's, they face the back and produce sounds below a human hearing...so I imagine as long as they thump they will do their intended purpose :lol:

http://i53.tinypic.com/29x696w.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/2dqlnpd.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2qbyl52.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/2zri0c2.jpg

Greg_M
09-11-2011, 11:15 AM
I played bass through one of those 30" EVs until the patch job that someone had done to secure the dust cover/dome/voice coil pulled out of the center of the cone. Seems they had used hot glue which the cone wasn't to crazy about. I asked the guy that does my reconing about that speaker and he said it was "squeaky ice chest foam".

It sure was impressive to look at. We always could hear people in the audience say "Look at that speaker!"

The cabinet was huge and a real bugger to move.
That was in about 1970 I think

Cooljjay
09-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Well the spandex didn't work...after I sealed it...it expanded and was just wayyy to soft to hold the cone. So I then decided to go fun foam...its foam...matches the texture of newer surrounds and is flexible enough to let the cone move up and down but it is firm enough to hold the cone for centering. I am just not sure if I should glue it to the first notch in the basket as the original or under the gasket as in newer speakers? Heres the first piece glued on the cone.

http://i51.tinypic.com/34sjvwl.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/24yn3lv.jpg

Cooljjay
09-14-2011, 12:22 AM
HA it worked. I got it glued and center. I got as centered as I possible could, with these speakers your were suppose to rotate them ever year or so but these were never touched and it was hard to get it centered. I turned it upside down for an hour. I then brought in a crappy test receiver to see if I would get any flex/vibs....well it gives plenty of bass just sitting on the table and you can feel the air move.....Tomorrow it will be installed again and see what it does...not factory/not professional but I give myself a gold star for figuring something out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNeCOxqvGE0

http://i56.tinypic.com/xpc949.jpg

Cooljjay
09-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Well I pulled the second one, and it is in great shape. Comparing this one to the first, the first will need to be reconed something is wrong with the voice coil. This one is nice and springy and still centered. This one also shows me that my theory was correct that the original foam was flat and in four pieces, coated on the underside with glue/sealer. So my surrounds aren't to far from the originals.

http://i54.tinypic.com/kb28pg.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/358nrko.jpg

Cooljjay
09-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Alright just spent 4 hours installing the second speaker. I tested the woofer before I placed it in and it ran fine on the table, got it in the cabinet all screwed back together and no sound from the 30". So out comes the 60 screws again, found out the problem was in the cross over, clean the pots again, switched capacitors around, resoldered joints and still no go. I then pulled the schematics up for the 800 series and found out the there is no pot on the 30W. I then unscrewed the terminals from the board and touch a battery to them ah sound...so I just hooked the speaker wires to the terminal and we have sound....so 4 hours of head beating to find out that one of the screws was corroded and not letting power into the 30W....Well I did find out I forgot to solder one lead of a hifi cap :roll:....so now they are together and 2" away from the wall and they sound fantastic. Though I have voice coil rub(can't hear it thank goddess unless your behind the speaker) on the 30" because the way the cone was leaning for who knows how many years with no surround and still working on getting a replacement mid.

SEAWOLF97
09-15-2011, 03:12 PM
I have voice coil rub(can't hear it thank goddess unless your behind the speaker) on the 30" because the way the cone was leaning for who knows how many years with no surround and still working on getting a replacement mid.

a good practice is noting the driver orientation b4 removal and when done with the work, reinstalling 180 degrees opposite ...to counteract the years of gravity effects.

JeffW
09-16-2011, 08:47 AM
I'd give you more like 5 stars, great ingenuity.

I give myself a gold star for figuring something out!

http://i56.tinypic.com/xpc949.jpg

Cooljjay
01-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Figured I would do an update on the patricians. I found out the T250 driver can't be repaired and a replacement diaphragm will probably take years to find or produce. I then began the ebay search again and I found one in November. It cost me way more then I wanted to pay. It cost me as much as the speakers. I am now in the speakers over 1500$....The most I have ever spent on equipment. I also had to remove one of the crossovers again and clean all the screws that go into the push terminals on the outside. So now they are complete again and sound fantastic. I am also told they are getting closer to completing a recone kit for the 30W's.

http://i39.tinypic.com/md1tth.jpg

JBLGUY
01-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Great Story man ! I have 2 EV 30w's but use them in a sealed box. Just goof around with them really
I use them in my "everything's" running system. A recone kit would be a welcome thing as I'm sure there are a few dudes needing them. They are so classic and look so cool.
Remember they won't take a lot of watts so be careful. I usually never let mine get more than say 30 watts as the next step in DB's makes them go a bit too close to their edge of frying. I use an amp with meters for them and separate gains. They are big but delicate actually.
I will post a pic of mine to add some extra fun to this thread
Glad you fixed them until you can buy the kit...if ever...fingers crossed.

Bravo on your great tinkering and imagination on the repair

tomt
01-12-2012, 08:06 PM
I have 2 EV 30w's but use them in a sealed box.

was wondering, what size box(s) you have.

original EV literature had a few recommended sizes,

300 cf the largest.

JBLGUY
01-13-2012, 10:47 AM
About this big

vinny
01-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Hello fellow speaker guys. I had the worst thing happen. Just received pair of T250 midhorns throught the mail. Damaged damaged damaged because of sender's bogus packing. i was sad and angry as hell. Used useless pillow casing to wrap the drivers then packed it in a flimsy thin cardboard box that couldnt handle the 30lb weight. Open box with my heart pounding seeing one side ripped and hearing the drivers hitting each other as i carried the box. Speaker taps were bent plastic broken. and who knows the damage caused internally from the drivers shifying against each other.one tests 6.1 the other tests all over the place.can anyone help me out find pair of diaphragms and who can repair and need info on best crossovers can use on [email protected] ([email protected]) thank you

Cooljjay
01-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Hello fellow speaker guys. I had the worst thing happen. Just received pair of T250 midhorns throught the mail. Damaged damaged damaged because of sender's bogus packing. i was sad and angry as hell. Used useless pillow casing to wrap the drivers then packed it in a flimsy thin cardboard box that couldnt handle the 30lb weight. Open box with my heart pounding seeing one side ripped and hearing the drivers hitting each other as i carried the box. Speaker taps were bent plastic broken. and who knows the damage caused internally from the drivers shifying against each other.
one tests 6.1 the other tests all over the place.

can anyone help me out find pair of diaphragms and who can repair
and need info on best crossovers can use on them

[email protected] ([email protected])

thank you

First off, DON'T try to open them. From what I was told, when diaphragm replacements were available, they came with the top of the driver already attached. I attempted to open mind to see if I could fix it, and the diaphragm was glued to the top half and was tore as I removed it, the screw you see in the throat has to be removed before the top of the driver. diaphragm aren't available, and when they will be is anyones guess. I was told that you may be able to get a 1828 diaphragm to work, but won't be up to the original specifications. You're best bet is to contact Speaker Workshop 260-426-8742, he may be able to repair them. This is were I sent mine too. My diaphragm was bad, so he put a tag with my name on it, and told me to just leave it with him, because if or when one comes around he'll fix it for me...but he said don't hold your breath. I just let him hold onto mine, I found a replacement on ebay so it would just be sitting here being a paperweight. If you bought these on ebay or off ebay or they had insurance on them....attempt to get your money back....as they stand now...I doubt they can be repaired...It is very sad.....:(

JBLGUY
01-22-2012, 11:35 PM
"Is there no other driver that was used in other year Patricians? Use some other EV driver. 1824's were a very nice drivers. Smooth and not honky or harsh. Maybe not those originals but still EV and nice sounding drivers as well.
There is usually nice EV drivers in pairs on Ebay.
Try to get a refund from the seller

vinny
01-23-2012, 01:55 PM
First off, DON'T try to open them. From what I was told, when diaphragm replacements were available, they came with the top of the driver already attached. I attempted to open mind to see if I could fix it, and the diaphragm was glued to the top half and was tore as I removed it, the screw you see in the throat has to be removed before the top of the driver. diaphragm aren't available, and when they will be is anyones guess. I was told that you may be able to get a 1828 diaphragm to work, but won't be up to the original specifications. You're best bet is to contact Speaker Workshop 260-426-8742, he may be able to repair them. This is were I sent mine too. My diaphragm was bad, so he put a tag with my name on it, and told me to just leave it with him, because if or when one comes around he'll fix it for me...but he said don't hold your breath. I just let him hold onto mine, I found a replacement on ebay so it would just be sitting here being a paperweight. If you bought these on ebay or off ebay or they had insurance on them....attempt to get your money back....as they stand now...I doubt they can be repaired...It is very sad.....:(

Thanks for that very useful information. Do you know the original diaphragm number for the T250?

Just some info i was told by a ev supplier. take it as grain of salt. the ev t35 and t350 diaphragms are identical. Not sure but who knows maybe hes right maybe hes wrong.

vinny
01-23-2012, 02:00 PM
"Is there no other driver that was used in other year Patricians? Use some other EV driver. 1824's were a very nice drivers. Smooth and not honky or harsh. Maybe not those originals but still EV and nice sounding drivers as well.
There is usually nice EV drivers in pairs on Ebay.
Try to get a refund from the seller

Of course theres other drivers but not like The T250. and i wont be using them in patrician cabs they will be used in my regency 3 cabs

vinny
01-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Well I pulled the second one, and it is in great shape. Comparing this one to the first, the first will need to be reconed something is wrong with the voice coil. This one is nice and springy and still centered. This one also shows me that my theory was correct that the original foam was flat and in four pieces, coated on the underside with glue/sealer. So my surrounds aren't to far from the originals.

http://i54.tinypic.com/kb28pg.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/358nrko.jpg

So sad and unfortunate why Ev would use such crappy foam surrounds on such a beautiful rare speaker. They should of had the foresight to make enough foam surrounds in stock to supply for many years or at least make them with rubber or accordion paper cone.

Cooljjay
01-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks for that very useful information. Do you know the original diaphragm number for the T250?

Just some info i was told by a ev supplier. take it as grain of salt. the ev t35 and t350 diaphragms are identical. Not sure but who knows maybe hes right maybe hes wrong.

I don't know the number, there is very little information floating around on the T250.

So sad and unfortunate why Ev would use such crappy foam surrounds on such a beautiful rare speaker. They should of had the foresight to make enough foam surrounds in stock to supply for many years or at least make them with rubber or accordion paper cone.

It is said, but from what I gather, my patricians are generation 1, the first to hit the market...they were probably in a rush to get them finished and used the foam. After mine were produced they went with cloth, even the recone kits that were available came with cloth. Also we have to remember with this hobby, this stuff was never made to last...at some point they figured you would upgrade to the newest technology and disregard the old....but now they are collectable....something they never thought..

vinny
01-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Wanting Jensen A640 Crossover A-221 Crossover A940 xover

JBLGUY
01-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Of course theres other drivers but not like The T250. and i wont be using them in patrician cabs they will be used in my regency 3 cabs

Well ...scuz me.....What is the special qualities of this driver? I don't know this driver but assume there is something special to it. What's the dilly-o ? What specifically makes them better?
I understand the need/desire to make them original. But if the driver is unobtainable...then can't something else make do until you can find another pair?

Tom Brennan
01-28-2012, 03:57 PM
The 1823 and 1824M drivers were used in the excellent Sentry III and Sentry IV systems; I'd try them in place of the T-250s. They're available and cheap. They might not reach up to the 5000hz crossover to the tweeter as well as the T-250 though.

tomt
02-22-2012, 01:36 AM
About this big

i suspect these work very well

have you tried this song yet?

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/audio/Bassotronics/bassiloveyou.mp3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_test#Bass.2C_I_Love_You

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````

this person has a pair - about the same size

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r87462603

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r87443033

Cooljjay
02-25-2012, 07:00 PM
No I haven't.....but now I can tell you that my surround job worked....With the woofer cooker song, I can now vibarate the nails out of the floor :D If you think it sounds wicked inside....you should stand outside when the speakers are thumbing....

i suspect these work very well

have you tried this song yet?

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/audio/Bassotronics/bassiloveyou.mp3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_test#Bass.2C_I_Love_You

Cooljjay
07-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Well I wanted to add a thread update. I am still using the speakers, and they still sound great. I just upgraded from the eico HF35's to a Mcintosh MC275 and the wattage difference really really made a difference. I was still experiencing a problem with one speaker, the low's just weren't there. I though it was the amp but it wasn't. I decided to do some work on them again, I was going to replace all the pots but I ordered the wrong size so I just did a better cleaning on them. The biggest improvement was that I decided to replace all the binding posts, it took a very very very long time but it was well well worth it. I remember a member said that the binding post can cause problems, I then had a problem with the other one, with the 30" not working after I reinstalled it. Cleaning the binding post brought it back. I ordered a bunch on banana posts from parts express. I replaced everyone, it was really simple. The reward was just amazing, the sound quality just got enhanced soooo much. I recommend, anyone with ev patricians or other ev's that have these do the same. Well well worth it.

Heres an after photo
http://i47.tinypic.com/szz7fd.jpg

And heres the old post, look at the screw!
http://i46.tinypic.com/ev5fza.jpg

spkrman57
12-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Has there been any updates lately?

Regards, Ron

Cooljjay
12-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Has there been any updates lately?Regards, Ronwell my houe burnt down. so i lost my entire collection including the pats. Plus my partner was shot and killed. My neighbor slandered me like a serial killer....so my insurance is rufusing to pay. I've had to leave the state to get away from it all....so needless to say.....i won't be collecting ever again....least i have the photos...

JBLGUY
12-26-2012, 01:43 PM
well my houe burnt down. so i lost my entire collection including the pats. Plus my partner was shot and killed. My neighbor slandered me like a serial killer....so my insurance is rufusing to pay. I've had to leave the state to get away from it all....so needless to say.....i won't be collecting ever again....least i have the photos...

OMG I so sorry for you Man. I hope your okay and my condolences on all that terrible stuff going on for you. It must be very hard to cope with all that. Hopefully you have good family support to help you thru.
Peace Brother

Mike F
12-26-2012, 08:47 PM
well my houe burnt down. so i lost my entire collection including the pats. Plus my partner was shot and killed. My neighbor slandered me like a serial killer....so my insurance is rufusing to pay. I've had to leave the state to get away from it all....so needless to say.....i won't be collecting ever again....least i have the photos...

I do hope your kidding?!

dawoofer
12-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Wow, I really feel for ya man. I've lost a few family members lately. Lets pray that slandering will not hold and you will be vindicated on those grounds. Thank God you still have your life.
Praying that you can heal.
Dawoofer

spkrman57
12-29-2012, 11:34 AM
I guess that was not the update I expected to hear.

I hope things get better!

Regards, Ron

vinny
12-06-2013, 08:05 AM
so what happened to the patricians? Did you get everything going? I got another pair of T250s from other sources. They are rare as hens teeth.

vinny
03-27-2018, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=Cooljjay;319793]Well I called the speaker workshop again because I haven't gotten my glue/stiffener and I asked them if he can fix the T250 he said he should be able to or he may have another in stock...so I sent it off.

In the mean time I started to make my template for the surrounds, I have now decided to stay with the spandex idea. I have a hard time with circles so I opted to do a cardboard template so I wouldn't waste 5 yards of material. I actually did pretty good. Tomorrow I will start cutting material. I think this may actually work. The woofers aren't a big part of the sound reproduction circuit in the ev's, they face the back and produce sounds below a human hearing...so I imagine as long as they thump they will do their intended purpose

Sorry guy

script56
09-28-2020, 07:59 AM
I can repair 30'' woofers with foam excat replica as original. email me