PDA

View Full Version : does the 046Ti have a exclusive magnet, or can it be found on other JBL tweets

FE3T
08-15-2011, 09:46 AM
I am currently looking for 046ti tweeters, but have poor luck in finding anything.

I did find stock replacement dia`s and discovered that they comes preinstalled in a faceplate, terminals included, basically a complete tweeter missing the magnet system.

So my question to the knowledgable people on this site are:

Are there a more easy to find magnet that i can use on a 046Ti replacement dia, without ruining the performance?

Models like 035Ti and 052Ti seems to be easy to find for relatively decent prices, even new, could i use a magnet system from one of these?

Uncle Paul
08-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Not sure about the magnets, but what are planning on doing with them?

Robh3606
08-15-2011, 06:53 PM
The magnets on the 052's are larger and may not fit through the access hole for the 046. Also don't know if the gap flux is the same.

Rob:)

FE3T
08-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Not sure about the magnets, but what are planning on doing with them?

I may have worded my post a bit wrong since you asked.

But the short version are that i cant find the 046Ti`s i need, and hoped to be able to use 046Ti replacement diaphragms (wich as i mentioned comes as a complete tweeter just missing the magnet system) together with a magnet system from a tweeter i can find and this way get access to complete 046Ti`s

If the question was what i planned to use the 046Ti`s for?
The answer is. too rebuild a set of XPL 160 cabs i can buy with only the x overs and woofers included (the owner didnt know that the woofers could be refomed and sold off the tweets and mids to someone else a couple of years before offering me the rest) :eek:

The magnets on the 052's are larger and may not fit through the access hole for the 046. Also don't know if the gap flux is the same.

That was sad news, the 052Ti are a bit cheaper than the 035Ti, but if the magnets arent even the same size, there are probably also other differenses.

Now i just hope someone with a 046Ti and a 035Ti can do the same as you was kind enough to do :applaud:

Uncle Paul
08-15-2011, 08:49 PM
If the question was what i planned to use the 046Ti`s for?
The answer is. too rebuild a set of XPL 160 cabs i can buy with only the x overs and woofers included (the owner didnt know that the woofers could be refomed and sold off the tweets and mids to someone else a couple of years before offering me the rest) :eek:

Sorry for not being clear, that is what I was asking about. The 046Ti's do come up occasionally, but the big domes 093Ti's (XPL-160A) or 095Ti (XPL-160) are very scarce. Have you been able to find them? That is the big challenge.

Guido
08-15-2011, 10:52 PM
They are available here
http://cgi.ebay.de/JBL-Grand-Touring-T030-3-Titanium-Dome-Wideband-NEU-/300585625938

Do a forum search. Somewhere we went through this and found out if these are 093Ti or 095Ti.

Anyway, these are almost impossible to find so I wouldn't wonder too long :(

Oh, the internal network need to be removed. Not a big deal.

baldrick
08-16-2011, 04:11 AM
10-15 years ago I (and a few others) used the T030 in our carsstereos, sounded very good :)

Regarding the search for XPL speakers, there are now and then XPL speakers for sale here (in Norway where threadstarer is located), most of the the are complete but with bad foam. So be a bit patinet and you will find some.

FE3T
08-16-2011, 06:12 AM
Sorry for not being clear, that is what I was asking about. The 046Ti's do come up occasionally, but the big domes 093Ti's (XPL-160A) or 095Ti (XPL-160) are very scarce. Have you been able to find them? That is the big challenge.

I have been offered a pair of new T030 locally, for a better price than those Guido linked to, quite a bit lower shipping costs too :)

Uncle Paul
08-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Very nice! T030 = 095Ti. I believe you need to remove an internal crossover - there is a picture of this somewhere on the forum. If yours are XPL-160 (not XPL-160A) then its correct. Probably would still sound OK in the "A" version.

Guido
08-16-2011, 01:12 PM
:coolness:

Congrats!

FE3T
08-16-2011, 03:46 PM
10-15 years ago I (and a few others) used the T030 in our carsstereos, sounded very good :)

Regarding the search for XPL speakers, there are now and then XPL speakers for sale here (in Norway where threadstarer is located), most of the the are complete but with bad foam. So be a bit patinet and you will find some.

Let me know if there are more places than Finn, Avtorget and Hifisentralen i should look for them. or if you should stumble into some;)

FE3T
08-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Very nice! T030 = 095Ti. I believe you need to remove an internal crossover - there is a picture of this somewhere on the forum. If yours are XPL-160 (not XPL-160A) then its correct. Probably would still sound OK in the "A" version.

I belive the crossover are just a highpass, probably just a single cap spliced in betwin the connector and the lead to the voicecoil and glued into the back cover, should be easy to get rid of.

I do also have xover chematics on the "A" and non "A" versions so even if i have not yet looked to close at them i belive i can modify from one to another if nessecary

Robh3606
08-16-2011, 05:56 PM
I belive the crossover are just a highpass, probably just a single cap spliced in betwin the connector and the lead to the voicecoil and glued into the back cover, should be easy to get rid of.

That's right and it's removeable with the back cover off so you don't have to mess with the VC alignment or remove the screens.

quad250
08-22-2011, 11:44 AM
I have a pair of 046ti's. I'll send you a PM.