PDA

View Full Version : JBL L5 crossover recap?

Sonance'84
08-15-2011, 12:54 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum after being an avid lurker for 2 years using it as a source for information. I figured I should join now that I actually own a pair of JBL's...the L5. :)

These are my first pair of JBL speakers...my other main pair of speakers are Klipsch Forte's (am I allowed to say that, lol). I'm really liking the L5's and would like to bring the crossovers up to spec by recapping them. I have updated the crossover's in my Klipsch and really liked the resuts, so I figured it can't hurt the JBL's. I really like the L5's so far!

--> I was wondering if anyone has a picture of the crossover network(s) from the L5? Possibly a parts list? Has anyone recapped their L3,5,7's on here and how did it turn out?

--> Also, I have read that the 052Ti tweeter (or diaphragm alone) is the recommended replacement/upgrade for the 035Ti. Is this true and if so, would it make a noticeable difference to make the switch? I was contemplating that idea for future reference.

I appreciate any help that can be provided to me about these questions!

Cory

Robh3606
08-15-2011, 03:51 AM
Welcome to the site. Here's a copy of the schematic for the L5

Rob:)

Sonance'84
08-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Cool, thanks for the schematic.

BMWCCA
08-15-2011, 05:34 PM
You can still buy the 035ti or tiA tweeter or diaphragm from several sources currently, so that's not really an issue. Just don't under-power them and they should last a long time. They fail from running them distorted from low power or from pulling the thin wire loose when removing the Faston connectors in a ham-fisted manner (ask me how I know about the latter). The 052 was the recommended replacement but that was when those were readily available as parts. The new business model for JBL means nothing will be replaceable soon. Take car of what you have.

Why do you think the x-overs need recapping? Have you checked them? These aren't some ancient design from Arkansas. ;)

Sonance'84
08-15-2011, 05:58 PM
:applaud: :p

I don't now, I was just thinking out loud...I guess I could wait on the recap until they actually need it. They sound great as they are. I haven't checked the crossover or messed with taking any drivers out yet. I'll probably leave them alone for now.

But would the 052ti make any difference in sound if I could find a pair?