PDA

View Full Version : 2380a home use

totaltech
08-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Greeting all, a general question.
I picked up from ebay a set of speakers out of a cinema, horns and compression drivers are JBL 2446/2380a woofers are kix (beymas - very similar to 2225's).

I am running a beherenger 2310 crossover, a 300b amp for top end a el34 amp for bass cabinets. Am also playing with some beymas cp21/f slot tweeters for uhf.

Generally the setup sounds pretty good with the following exception - dont laugh!

When playing live music and there is audience applause it sounds that the clapping is being produced through tubes ie has an echo or reverberation, also a bit on live vocals. I have tried various crossover frequencies from 750hz to 1.5k different phasing etc but cannot get rid of this. The room isnt overly live, and its not because of close listening distance (around 3m), it is clearly audible outside.

It is almost like the is a time delay at the crossover frequency, but having said that it is evident when playing the horns only.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

clmrt
08-15-2011, 03:31 AM
One recording in particular or several?

macaroonie
08-15-2011, 07:21 AM
Have you got Eq in place for the CD horn ?

I'm a 2380 user , the system is driven from a JBL M553 electronic x/o. This unit has compensation on board specific to the 2380.

totaltech
08-15-2011, 07:49 PM

I'm a 2380 user , the system is driven from a JBL M553 electronic x/o. This unit has compensation on board specific to the 2380.

there is no cd eq on the horns, im just allowing them to naturally roll off, the beyma cp21/f's kick in around 8khz with a simple first order crossover.

totaltech
08-15-2011, 07:54 PM
One recording in particular or several?

Many differnt recordings!
From Sting to Dainna Krell.

Cheers

Rob

lowpoke
08-15-2011, 10:34 PM
I saw these for sale and wished I'd been able to bid! I envy your acquisition!
But with regard to your problem; I know when I was installing new diaphragms in my Altecs I read up on it and recall reading that if not properly aligned in the gap, some rubbing can occur which will make noises at certain frequencies. Any chance it could be this sort of thing?

Without hearing the problem we're all taking shots in the dark. :blink:

totaltech
08-16-2011, 06:02 AM
I saw these for sale and wished I'd been able to bid! I envy your acquisition!
But with regard to your problem; I know when I was installing new diaphragms in my Altecs I read up on it and recall reading that if not properly aligned in the gap, some rubbing can occur which will make noises at certain frequencies. Any chance it could be this sort of thing?

Without hearing the problem we're all taking shots in the dark. :blink:

Yep I did really well on this ebay purchase!

3 x 2380a horns with 2446 compression drivers 3 boxes loaded with 6 beyma 15" drivers and an 18" sub! Lucky i have an understanding partner!

Presently running 2 boxes and 2 horns with the 18" tucked away in a corner.

I am wondering if it is time alignment between the horns and 2 x 15" drivers?

Apart from that this setup makes my 4412 jbl's sound like book shelf speakers! :D

Are you in melb?

Cheers

Rob

lowpoke
08-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Yep I did really well on this ebay purchase!
Are you in melb?
Cheers

Rob

I'll say. Like I said, I'm very envious. However, my partner would not have been so understanding ;)
I'm in Adelaide too, which would have complicated the purchase for me.

I can't imagine time alignment would create such a distinct anomaly. (Would be good if we could all hear the issue :()

Mike Caldwell
08-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Do you hear the same thing if you only listen to one channel with the other turned completely down.

1audiohack
08-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Do you hear the same thing if you only listen to one channel with the other turned completely down.

Good question, also how about with the tweeters out of the system?

totaltech
08-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Good question, also how about with the tweeters out of the system?

I will try both tonight!

samueleleo
03-30-2013, 05:38 PM

hello all . i'm new in this forum ,

I have a pair of Jbl 4770 in biamp mode whit crown macrotech amps and a dbx driverack 480 crossover
my problem whit the 2445J driver loaded whit a 2445 horn is the cd horn eq .

somebody know how to equalize it whit the dbx driverack 480 eq ? ( the parameters list )
tankyou
sam

Hans Bleeker
03-31-2013, 03:11 AM
Easysest way to make the CD correction for this one, put a 4.7 ohm resistor in series at the terminal with a 4.7uF cap paralell over it, (paralell over the resistor) that is if you indeed have the 16 Ohm J version. Sounds loads better in my opinion then the , for example, active cd correction from an M552 or 553, and digital compensation is Horrid to my ears :)