PDA

View Full Version : Crown XLS 1500

Rusnzha
08-07-2011, 06:56 PM
My Hypex sub amp started having problems after 9 good years:banghead: :barf:. Wish I had a O-scope, it would be a fun project to trouble shoot it at the component level. After some adventures, I got a Crown XLS 1500. With all the bad mouthing :blah: of the Chinese stuff, and my distrust of class D, it wasn’t my first choice.

I hooked it up to the L100s and it sounded better than the Mac 1900, their clarity and tone were never so good:banana:. That took me by surprise, maybe the Mac needs to go in for an overhaul. I took the top off and it looks real nice inside, but everything is miniaturized. It’s hard to believe it can do what it’s supposed to. 1550 watts into 4 ohms, freakin amazing, the bass is so tight with this thing. I can’t say how it would have done in Mr. Scotty Fitlin’s house, but for home use on a subwoofer, I don’t see how I could have done better for the money. For $400, it murders any plate amp I’ve used. The old 2241h never sounded so good. If this is what they are doing in China, rock on, Harmon:rockon1::rockon2:!

Eaulive
08-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Semicondurtors are soo cheap now days, even the final transistors are surface mount if I'm not mistaken.

No bulky transformer, no overzised heat sink, no weight to increase shipping costs...
Only lots and lots of cheap transistors.

In the 70's any amp with the same amout of transistors would have cost a fortune and take up the space of a big fridge :D

Jonas_h
08-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Funny you say that about the new XLS series. I have never heard it myself, but everyone I have talked to, say its probably the worst thing Crown has ever made. :S

Eaulive
08-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Funny you say that about the new XLS series. I have never heard it myself, but everyone I have talked to, say its probably the worst thing Crown has ever made. :S

Depends on the point of you, I never used it either but the definition of a "good" amplifier may differs completely if you're asking the new user or the old technician.

On the reliability aspect it can NOT be worse that the XS series.

Rusnzha
08-08-2011, 11:35 PM

It wasn't at the top of my list either. I haven't tried it in an industrial grade application where it is pushing big watts for hours so I don't know what it will do in that situation. I can tell you this:

The Mac 1900 was a let down after playing my L100s with the XLS. This wasn't supposed to happen and was the last thing I expected. I just wanted to hear how it sounded with the L100s. I had a lot of doubts about it myself. I started out with a used Crest CA6. It had a buzz and the fan ran at full speed all the time. I swapped it for the XLS. It's totally quiet.

The bass is tighter than it was with the hypex. I turned the volume up loud enough to light up the minus 20 LED and played all of disc one of the Genisis When in Rome DVD. This was louder than my usual max. After it was over the amp was still cool.

I did read some bad reviews, but there were a lot more good ones. It seemed as though there were some units that needed to be exchanged.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Allanvh5150
08-09-2011, 02:41 AM
I have only met a few class D amps that can hack the pace of full power extended duty. The Crown isnt one of them.

Allan.

Rusnzha
08-09-2011, 08:27 AM
I have only met a few class D amps that can hack the pace of full power extended duty. The Crown isnt one of them.

Allan.

This was one of the questions I had about class D. I won't be asking full power extended duty from it. The last class D I tried was some Def Teck 250 or 300 watt. I smoked it in about 15 minutes. I think the XLS is up to the way I'll be using it. It's tough to replace stuff in today's economy. When I replaced stuff in the past, I spent less and got more. I feel like that is happening in this situation.

timc
08-09-2011, 11:28 AM

Allan.

Does this also apply to the Class-D variations, like the Crown Class-I?

-Tim

Allanvh5150
08-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Does this also apply to the Class-D variations, like the Crown Class-I?

-Tim

The newer class I may have advantages and I am yet to test one of these. I may see if I can get my hands on one when I get back home and see what they can deliver.

Allan.

timc
08-09-2011, 12:38 PM
The newer class I may have advantages and I am yet to test one of these. I may see if I can get my hands on one when I get back home and see what they can deliver.

Allan.

The reason I'm asking is that i have used a I-Tech for wooferduty, with very good results. I have never however, pushed it to the limit. The power outlet (16A/230V)fails way before the amplifier ;)

Rusnzha
08-09-2011, 02:06 PM

Allan.

Class I is another type of switch mode amp that is even more efficient than class D and is exclusive to Crown. They use class I in their high dollar product lines. I don't know if I will ever hear one of these, but I would bet my paycheck that these have state of the art sound quality and reliability.

For class D info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-D_amplifier

For Class I http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/137234.pdf

For Crown product lines http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/PowerAmps/crown/crownamps.html

The I-Tech HD Series and Macrotech-I Series are Class I and way out of my price range.

Allanvh5150
08-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Class I is another type of switch mode amp that is even more efficient than class D and is exclusive to Crown. They use class I in their high dollar product lines. I don't know if I will ever hear one of these, but I would bet my paycheck that these have state of the art sound quality and reliability.

For class D info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-D_amplifier

For Class I http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/137234.pdf

The problem with class I is how do they rate it? Although it is very efficient, a quick look at the max power usage and the max power output would indicate they were somewhere around 450% efficient. Theoreticaly, the max output power, asuming 100% efficiancy, would be the same as the max input power, around 2000 watts total on the big amp. Class D amplifiers are usualy rated at a certain power level at a certain duty cycle and never to be operated at 100%.

Allan.

Mctwins
08-11-2011, 03:59 PM
The reason I'm asking is that i have used a I-Tech for wooferduty, with very good results. I have never however, pushed it to the limit. The power outlet (16A/230V)fails way before the amplifier ;)

Hi
I have two Crown MAi5000 one driving a pair of JBL 4641(18")sub and one driving a pair 3731(15") sub, I have push them to their limits and have no problem with my 16A, 230V + one McIntosh amp driving the M/T of 3731 and all other sources on the same outlet.

Nemas problemas with the Crowns:applaud:

Rusnzha
08-12-2011, 12:00 AM
The problem with class I is how do they rate it? Although it is very efficient, a quick look at the max power usage and the max power output would indicate they were somewhere around 450% efficient. Theoreticaly, the max output power, asuming 100% efficiancy, would be the same as the max input power, around 2000 watts total on the big amp. Class D amplifiers are usualy rated at a certain power level at a certain duty cycle and never to be operated at 100%.

Allan.

http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/itecharticles.htm

The first of the three articles has a good explanation of this.

timc
08-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Hi
I have two Crown MAi5000 one driving a pair of JBL 4641(18")sub and one driving a pair 3731(15") sub, I have push them to their limits and have no problem with my 16A, 230V + one McIntosh amp driving the M/T of 3731 and all other sources on the same outlet.

Nemas problemas with the Crowns:applaud:

Sorry, but your 4641 is peanuts (powerwise) compared to the ones i talk about. They have continues power rating of 5000W pr. side. There are 5 Beyma 12" (12P1000Nd) in each subtower. Its built similar to the Infinity IRS towers.

It should also be added, that when the lights start dimming, we are talking about SERIOUS sub 30Hz content.

Allanvh5150
08-12-2011, 02:07 AM
Sorry, but your 4641 is peanuts (powerwise) compared to the ones i talk about. They have continues power rating of 5000W pr. side. There are 5 Beyma 12" (12P1000Nd) in each subtower. Its built similar to the Infinity IRS towers.

It should also be added, that when the lights start dimming, we are talking about SERIOUS sub 30Hz content.

What amplifier is 5000 watts per channel continuous?

Allan

Mctwins
08-12-2011, 04:16 AM

:blah::blah:

What SPL at 30 Hz?

I have plenty of SPL down to 20 Hz (flat from 20-100 Hz +/- 2dB and 108 dB SPL at listening pos) and I am satisfied of what I have. I dont need Beyma or any other subs.

Thanks

timc
08-12-2011, 06:05 AM
What amplifier is 5000 watts per channel continuous?

Allan

Not the amplifier. the sub towers. So he can actually use all the power from a I-Tech 6000. This is not doable on a single pair of 18" (there is probably exceptions to this)

timc
08-12-2011, 06:07 AM
:blah::blah:

What SPL at 30 Hz?

I have plenty of SPL down to 20 Hz (flat from 20-100 Hz +/- 2dB and 108 dB SPL at listening pos) and I am satisfied of what I have. I dont need Beyma or any other subs.

Thanks

Thats polite.........
Did i ever suggest that you should not be happy with what you got?
I'm just putting power requirement in perspective to what the I-Tech/Macrotech can deliver.

No idea about the SPL, but borderline what I can endure. His system measures +-1dB from 20Hz to 14KHz. It uses DRC.

Eaulive
08-12-2011, 06:38 AM
To know what an amplifier delivers and to compute the AC draw, you have to know the load presented to the amplifier as well as the program.

I ran 4 amplifiers on one AC 15 amp outlet without problems even if only one of those amps could trip the breaker with a pink noise and a two ohms load.

timc
08-12-2011, 07:26 AM
To know what an amplifier delivers and to compute the AC draw, you have to know the load presented to the amplifier as well as the program.

I ran 4 amplifiers on one AC 15 amp outlet without problems even if only one of those amps could trip the breaker with a pink noise and a two ohms load.

Exactly. That was the point i was trying to make really. It depends on the load, AND how much the loads can actually take.

By the way. I'm not talking about making the breaker trip, but that the lights follows the rythem of the lowest frequencies.

Mctwins
08-13-2011, 02:59 AM
Thats polite.........
Did i ever suggest that you should not be happy with what you got?
I'm just putting power requirement in perspective to what the I-Tech/Macrotech can deliver.

No idea about the SPL, but borderline what I can endure. His system measures +-1dB from 20Hz to 14KHz. It uses DRC.

Did not mean to be unpolite.....:)

I just refered to your power draw. You said you had a problem, but when I run my system to clipping point I dont have any problems.

When the lights start to dim in the house, then it means that the main power supply is not right.

Thanks

timc
08-13-2011, 09:27 AM
When the lights start to dim in the house, then it means that the main power supply is not right.

Thanks

Its only on the circuit with the amplifier. Not the whole house.

Mctwins
08-13-2011, 10:58 AM

Ok

That's why I have seperate fuse supplying the system. It doesn't mean anything if the lights start to cycle with 30 Hz. Only poor cabling to the system. That's all.

The mains supply fedding the system has to be constructed accordingly.

Thanks

Rusnzha
08-13-2011, 02:17 PM

That's got to be loud :rockon1::rockon2: