PDA

View Full Version : JBL 1000 Array sonoglas damage.

eag1
08-05-2011, 06:36 AM
Hi.
Hope someone can help me with a small problem. I bought these speakers used and there is a mark on top of the sonoglass. Looks like its been rubbed of, so the softlook texture is now all flat and shiny when the light falls at the right angel. Its the size of a small hand. Its not something one can feel, only see. JBL can not help me repair this. Hopefully there are someone who has a trick up his/her sleeve.
Is it possible to remove the horn without breaking anything.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/3276/jbll.jpg

Thanks for the help

Mr. Widget
08-05-2011, 09:14 AM
I haven't attempted to repair any of the JBL soft touch finished products, but in the past I have worked on other items with soft touch finishes... short of stripping and completely refinishing the horn, I doubt you can make the horn look perfect.

There may be "tricks" that can improve the look... good luck.

Widget

eag1
08-05-2011, 09:20 AM
I better specify a bit more. Its not the horn, but the base on top of the speaker. I thought about putting some film on top but to do that i must take of the horn. Is it only the one screw in the back that holds the horn, or is it in the same manner as with the Array 1400. It seems the JBL emblem is fixed, so i ruin it if i take it of.

I was afraid i would get that answer though, that nothing can be done. But thank you anyway.

tom1040
08-05-2011, 10:00 AM
I have a 1500 Array sub that suffered a bit of damage in transit on the very top. I am thinking of getting 1/8 inch darken glass plate to put on the top to prevent further damage & to hide the existing scratches.

Titanium Dome
08-05-2011, 10:07 AM
eag1, it will be helpful to see a picture. Can you post one?

There may be a requirement to have at least five posts before you can load a picture.

Robh3606
08-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Have you tried just using a soft moistened cloth? I got some finger prints on my Array horns and that helped in a big way to remove them and take the spots off. As Doug says pictures are always a plus.

Rob:)

JeffW
08-05-2011, 11:58 AM
There's a thread someplace where a guy had a shipping damaged 800 Array and that thread showed how the horn was attached on the 800. It might be the same on the 1000, you could pull the woofer and take a peek up inside there.

And I find that matte coating on the lower cab fairly irritating stuff in regards to dusting and stuff, I'd be tempted to just remove it if I had mine apart and that coating was already damaged.

eag1
08-05-2011, 11:59 AM
I have tried with different cloth and household chemicals. Also i microfiber cloth. No luck so fare.

eag1
08-05-2011, 12:04 PM
i will try and see if i can find that thread. not sure i want to pull out the woofer. But then again, it might be the solution.

JeffW
08-05-2011, 12:38 PM
The pics start on page 12 of This Thread (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?30464-K2-S5800-and-K2-S9800SE-on-sale/page12). There were 2 different sets damaged, so there are some pics later in the thread as well.

HCSGuy
08-05-2011, 01:00 PM
I think the rubbery paint on top of the bass enclosures is Nextel Anthracite

http://www.nextel-coating.com/technischeinformationen/aufbau.asp?lng=eng&ab_bereich=2#

JBL seems to have an affinity for it, even though it grabs dust and won't let go, yet scratches off the cabinet easily. I think they first used it on the K2-M9500's. My LSR-6328p's use it also, and they look like crap too. My Array800's look great, but nobody gets to touch them. Here's a link to my Array800 Thread, though my horns were already loose and could be removed from the cabinet. You may have to get creative to cut a slot in the bottom of the horn mounting screw from inside the enclosure. Take a look, maybe it's helpful, or maybe the Array1000's mount differently, though I doubt it...

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?30921-Array-800-Repairing-a-pair-of-Bobbleheads&p=311461&highlight=#post311461

eag1
08-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Great info. I better look further into the nextel paint. Maybe i can get a furniture restorer to fix it for me. I have sent an e-mail to Jbl support to ask them if that is the product they use as a finish, so hopefully they provide me with the paint number. Thank you.Thank you.

moparfan
08-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I have a bunch of LSRs with similar issues. Do you have a supplier for it?

http://www.nextel-coating.com/technischeinformationen/aufbau.asp?lng=eng&ab_bereich=2#

JBL seems to have an affinity for it, even though it grabs dust and won't let go, yet scratches off the cabinet easily. I think they first used it on the K2-M9500's. My LSR-6328p's use it also, and they look like crap too. My Array800's look great, but nobody gets to touch them. Here's a link to my Array800 Thread, though my horns were already loose and could be removed from the cabinet. You may have to get creative to cut a slot in the bottom of the horn mounting screw from inside the enclosure. Take a look, maybe it's helpful, or maybe the Array1000's mount differently, though I doubt it...

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?30921-Array-800-Repairing-a-pair-of-Bobbleheads&p=311461&highlight=#post311461

HCSGuy
08-05-2011, 03:37 PM
I haven't looked into getting any, though I remember on another post about it, GT said that JBL couldn't apply in in California and had to go to Arizona to spray it - don't quote me on that, as it is from memory.

I think removing the horn may not be bad after all - if you take out the woofer, undo the 8 or so screws that hold the top panel on, you can take the whole top panel off, with the horn attached. Then I'd remove the horn mounting screw that is in the back of the horn, and Dremel a slot in the bottom of the screw that goes through the top panel, allowing you to unscrew the horn from the bottom, though the threaded insert in the top panel is also threaded into the wood, and may come out with the screw, which can be remedied. You may also have to cut pretty deep into the wood, as I don't remember how long the mounting screw is. Good luck!

eag1
08-05-2011, 11:04 PM
i am not that interested in using powertools on the speaker, so if i can't get the horn of without having to drill or saw new holes in the speaker i just leave it on. it should be possible to paint the top without dismounting the horn, if i can get the exact same paint. otherwise i probably get a high-gloss plait made as suggested in this thread, or use some film to hide the damage.

Mr. Widget
08-06-2011, 09:57 AM

JBL seems to have an affinity for it, even though it grabs dust and won't let go, yet scratches off the cabinet easily.Unfortunately I agree with you... it is not a practical finish. I treat my 1400 Arrays with extreme care because I know how fragile this stuff is and it is a PITA to keep clean.

A simple satin finish would look the same and be far more durable as well as much easier to repair.

Widget

HCSGuy
08-06-2011, 10:30 AM
i am not that interested in using powertools on the speaker, so if i can't get the horn of without having to drill or saw new holes in the speaker i just leave it on. it should be possible to paint the top without dismounting the horn, if i can get the exact same paint. otherwise i probably get a high-gloss plait made as suggested in this thread, or use some film to hide the damage. If you are the JBL factory, and are tasked with servicing this speaker, you would first remove the JBL adhesive emblem at the bottom of the horn's face. Once you've done that, you have easy access to the screw head underneath it, and the Allen bolt that holds the horn on from the rear. The difference is that when JBL would put it back together, they would throw away the old adhesive emblem and put a new one on. However, this part is not available for separate purchase, and is probably not even available to a JBL servicer. Maybe one of the Array1400 owners that have had to assemble theirs (that model ships with the horn separate from the bass enclosure) can chime in on the emblem - I assume it is plastic and of some (1mm?) thickness so that you may be able to very carefully remove it with fishing string, clean the adhesive off, and re-use it with new adhesive.

Turning this thread a little, I think that unless you are extremely devoted, restoring it isn't going to work. The paint has thickness to it, so if it is scratched, you can't just paint over it - you'll still see where the finish is thinner in the scratch. Because it's soft, you cannot just sand back a patch - I think you have to remove the finish from the whole piece and refinish the piece in entirety. Then, I'm going to guess that the Nextel finish has to dry in a dust free environment so that you get a smooth finish, without dust or hairs embedded in it. I would love to hear from someone who has experience with it.

Mr. Widget
08-06-2011, 11:17 AM
The 1400 Array logo is actually a very thick metal badge. I was told to only peel back a small area of the adhesive tape when I put my logos on as removal without damaging the logos is nearly impossible (Thank you 3M!) My guess is that the smaller horns are similar. If you plan on repainting the soft touch you should be able to use a solvent to remove the tape adhesive from the back of the badge and make horn removal easier.

I agree about your assessment on paint film thickness and repair. I would strip all of the soft touch finish and re-spray the entire horn... actually it is too much work, I would live with it or sell the speakers, but if I was inclined to repair these, I would completely disassemble them, strip the soft touch and then re-spray them with something else.

Widget

eag1
08-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Thank you for all the good advise.
You might be right, that i just have to live with it.
But the other idea i had, where i put a film over it, maybe in the design of carbon, could be a better soulution than painting, though i cant feel the stain, but it requires me to get the horn off. I might try the trick with the fishing-string later and se if i can get the emblem of, without dammage.