PDA

View Full Version : Jensen's own Transflex

Lee in Montreal
07-27-2011, 08:22 PM
JBL had their version. So did Jensen. With an extra folding if needed.

Eaulive
07-29-2011, 05:33 AM
So you're telling us that they had a time machine and stole Tom Danley's "tapped horn" design?

:rotfl::lol_fit: :rotfl:

Lee in Montreal
07-29-2011, 05:40 AM
So you're telling us that they had a time machine and stole Tom Danley's "tapped horn" design?

:rotfl::lol_fit: :rotfl:

Looks like both JBL and Jensen "stole" Danley's design by going 40 years up in time.

1audiohack
07-29-2011, 06:39 AM
It's been a couple of years since I read Tom's tapped horn patent application but I am quite sure it references prior art. If memory serves me correctly, (rarely I admit) he had a math routine and or tuning / driver placement method that he believed possibly constituted new art. It was for that a patent was applied for, and for which a patent was granted. I've never seen anywhere that he claimed the general design as his own, rather a more precise modeling method that resulted in increased performance.

I would argue the geometry in the drawing shown in the first post does not fit the definition of a horn anyway.

Lee in Montreal
07-29-2011, 07:56 AM
I would argue the geometry in the drawing shown in the first post does not fit the definition of a horn anyway.

On the subject of rear horn vs tapped horn, do you know if the delay of a tapped horn depends on the distance between the driver and the mouth (usually much less than one foot), or is it the whole path between the back of the driver and the mouth (usually very long).

1audiohack
07-29-2011, 09:07 AM
That's a very good question that I don't know the answer to. It could be frequency and possibly polarity dependent. I have four small (40 Hz) tapped horns that I built a couple of years ago, I haven't thought about them much in a while. I guess it's high time I measured them!