PDA

View Full Version : JBL L-110 sound problem

sbenyo
07-15-2011, 09:14 AM
I have a nice pair of L-110s.
The sound from the two speakers is different. One sounds complete and correct and the other seems to be missing something.

The strange thing is that I noticed that the tweeter on the bad sounding one works only if the brilliance control is set to max level. The other one works in all levels. :(

What can be wrong with this speaker? Is it related to the crossover?

Thanks!

Mannermusic
07-15-2011, 09:56 AM
I have a nice pair of L-110s.
The sound from the two speakers is different. One sounds complete and correct and the other seems to be missing something.

The strange thing is that I noticed that the tweeter on the bad sounding one works only if the brilliance control is set to max level. The other one works in all levels. :(

What can be wrong with this speaker? Is it related to the crossover?

Thanks!

Yes, you're onto something for sure. For starters, the L-pad level controls need cleaning from time to time. My personal favorite chemical cleaner is Deoxit - the liquid version in a small bottle with brush applicator. In short, you have to pull the L-pad out of the enclosure and clean the wiper/wound resistor per instructions on the bottle. Remove the L-pad cap (bend the tabs carefully) and brush the chemical directly onto the surfaces and then wipe dry. You can try spraying, but, well, it seldom works and makes a mess. The other option is to replace the L-pad - they are not expensive. It's an 8 ohm, 15 watt with a 1 inch shaft. Standard fare. Takes some patience. While you're in there, look for other maladies - connections, burned components. But, the L-pads are a good starting point. Mike