PDA

View Full Version : Bent rack mounts

jontherev
09-09-2004, 09:37 AM
Hey, I just bought a JBL 6230 and 6260 off of ebay. The 6230 came in good shape, but one of the rack mounts is bent pretty bad, which of course you couldn't tell from the pics on ebay. Do these mounts come off? I don't really need them, as I'm planning on putting legs/feet on these anyway. Also, for those of you who have done this before, what do you use as feet on rack mounted amps? Thanks,
Jon

jontherev
09-09-2004, 09:44 AM
From what I recall, I don't think the mounts will come off, so what about bending it back? I haven't tried yet with plyers or anything. Has anyone had to do this before? Thanks...

johnaec
09-09-2004, 10:21 AM
I have no idea about the JBL, but I once received a Crest amp that had both rack ears bent back, courtesy of UPS. Fortunately, I was able to remove just the whole front panel, of which the rack ears were part of, lay it on a wood panel, then hammer on a wood block placed over the ears to get them flat. 'Don't know if this would work in your case...

John

jontherev
09-09-2004, 10:34 AM
That's a possibility. I just received them yesterday and haven't had time to really look it over. IIRC though, it's a part of the sides AND back, not the front. I definitely don't want to start banging away with a hammer while it's still connected to the amp.:eek:

scott fitlin
09-09-2004, 10:42 AM
You get a small, or suitably sized portable vise, two pices of wood, and a towel. Place the towel over both sides of the rack ears, then put the wood in place, next the vise over the pieces of wood, and close the vise till the ear straightens into proper shape!

jontherev
09-09-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by scott fitlin
You get a small, or suitably sized portable vise, two pices of wood, and a towel. Place the towel over both sides of the rack ears, then put the wood in place, next the vise over the pieces of wood, and close the vise till the ear straightens into proper shape!

Hmmm, I don't have a vise, but I think a friend of mine does...thanks for the tip...

Zilch
09-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Look again, Jon. The rack mounts are easily removed using the bolts on the sides. Once removed, you can straighten them, or put straight inserts in their place, looks like. New rack ears, if you want them, are likely available from JBL. I think I saw them on a recent parts inventory list at JBL Pro.

Regarding feet, I go to the hardware store and get the screw-on hard rubber or plastic glides (about 3/4" diameter X 5/8" high, ACE brand, if I recall,) remove the four bottom-panel mounting screws nearest the corners, and install the feet using 1/2" #8-32 pan head screws. Remove the bottom panel if you need to see what clearances for the screws are available. The plastic glides allow the amp to slide around more easily, which may or may not be desireable.

If you're connecting consumer gear with unbalanced RCA outputs to the amps, the requisite cables in various lengths are readily available at Guitar Center and pro-audio dealers (Hosa brand). I use the ones that convert to the 6200 series 1/4" inputs. The XLR ones are more expensive, if I recall....

Have you hooked one of these up yet? How do they sound to you? :D

jontherev
09-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Zilch
Look again, Jon. The rack mounts are easily removed using the bolts on the sides. Once removed, you can straighten them, or put straight inserts in their place, looks like. New rack ears, if you want them, are likely available from JBL. I think I saw them on a recent parts inventory list at JBL Pro.

Regarding feet, I go to the hardware store and get the screw-on hard rubber or plastic glides (about 3/4" diameter X 5/8" high, ACE brand, if I recall,) remove the four bottom-panel mounting screws nearest the corners, and install the feet using 1/2" #8-32 pan head screws. Remove the bottom panel if you need to see what clearances for the screws are available. The plastic glides allow the amp to slide around more easily, which may or may not be desireable.

If you're connecting consumer gear with unbalanced RCA outputs to the amps, the requisite cables in various lengths are readily available at Guitar Center and pro-audio dealers (Hosa brand). I use the ones that convert to the 6200 series 1/4" inputs. The XLR ones are more expensive, if I recall....

Have you hooked one of these up yet? How do they sound to you? :D

Now, THAT'S what I needed to know! Can't thank ya enough! I haven't had a chance to hook these up yet. I moved recently and haven't set up my system (again). I haven't bought the Hosa cables yet...I will compare prices and go from there...there's a Guitar Center nearby. I only need 2 cables right now, so hopefully the difference won't be much. I'm kinda waiting until I get the center channel going. I'm still waiting on a few parts to arrive...shouldn't be too long now. I'm quite anxious to hear what this final product is going to sound like. And then once I hear it, I'm going to wonder how much better it would sound with a subwoofer....and then what about some JBL rear speakers to round it out...? :D

speakerdave
09-09-2004, 07:16 PM
The rack ears not only come off, the intelligent seller (that's singular, one!) I have dealt with takes them off and reverses them for shipment. I think it is reasonable to request this when buying on eBay. If they cannot be attached reversed they can be bubble wrapped separately.

I tell the sellers I buy from that once they accept the money for the item it belongs to me and I respectfully expect my wishes regarding packing and shipping to be followed.

David

jontherev
09-10-2004, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by speakerdave
The rack ears not only come off, the intelligent seller (that's singular, one!) I have dealt with takes them off and reverses them for shipment. I think it is reasonable to request this when buying on eBay. If they cannot be attached reversed they can be bubble wrapped separately.

I tell the sellers I buy from that once they accept the money for the item it belongs to me and I respectfully expect my wishes regarding packing and shipping to be followed.

David

That's a very good suggestion. If I buy another, I will most definitely request this!

Ouch...I just noticed that someone bought a 6230 BIN for 50 bucks!!! I guess it pays to surf ebay 24/7. The seller must have been clueless about its value.

Zilch
09-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by jontherev
Ouch...I just noticed that someone bought a 6230 BIN for 50 bucks!!! I guess it pays to surf ebay 24/7. The seller must have been clueless about its value. "Completed items" shows them going for $141.10, $50.00, $134.26, and $104.49. There's another one currently running with no bids at $125.00 and a $170 BIN. It's surprising how many of them are out there.

Oddly, 6260's are selling in the same price range right now. A couple of years ago, 6260's were more like $450, and 6230's were $300....

jontherev
09-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Zilch
"Completed items" shows them going for $141.10, $50.00, $134.26, and $104.49. There's another one currently running with no bids at $125.00 and a $170 BIN. It's surprising how many of them are out there.

Oddly, 6260's are selling in the same price range right now. A couple of years ago, 6260's were more like $450, and 6230's were $300....

Yup, the 6260 I bought was cheaper than the 6230! That's very interesting how the market has changed so much with regards to their prices on ebay in just a few years. Looks like I jumped into this particular market at the right time.:D

speakerdave
09-10-2004, 11:26 AM
The Urei 6200 amps are certainly still worth what they used to get for them, and if you go to the used equipment dealers, that's what they charge. I would guess the prices on ebay have fallen because of people selling amps that are burnt out and claiming they have no way to check them, or they use equivocal language in the description ("it sounds fantastic!), etc., or they just lie. People (like me) are not willing to bid them up and pay shipping on a heavy item anymore unless there is reason to be very confident in the amp. An NOS 6290 went for $499 the other day. It was well worth that. They are a truly ballsy amp, and to my ear, more musical than the 6260.

David

jontherev
09-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by speakerdave
The Urei 6200 amps are certainly still worth what they used to get for them, and if you go to the used equipment dealers, that's what they charge. I would guess the prices on ebay have fallen because of people selling amps that are burnt out and claiming they have no way to check them, or they use equivocal language in the description ("it sounds fantastic!), etc., or they just lie. People (like me) are not willing to bid them up and pay shipping on a heavy item anymore unless there is reason to be very confident in the amp. An NOS 6290 went for $499 the other day. It was well worth that. They are a truly ballsy amp, and to my ear, more musical than the 6260.

David

That could very well be. I'm going to try to find the time this weekend to hook'em up and see if they work ok. At least the 6260 was an ebay purchase through a local pawn shop, so I can return it if it doesn't work. I feel lucky though for this price drop, because $300+ for one amp is out of my current price range. Thanks for your insight...