PDA

View Full Version : Dope for a JBL 2213H?

slowpat
07-07-2011, 10:38 PM
I have a 2213H woofer out of a 4311B that has dried out accordion surround. It must have been exposed to the sun over time, and not a trace of the original dope remains, nada. So, the cloth surround is stiff as a board, and the cone barely moves.

What have you used successfully to put the flexibility back into the surround? TIA...

Mannermusic
07-11-2011, 05:42 AM
I'd say there is a recone in your future! :crying:

badman
07-11-2011, 11:18 AM
I'd say there is a recone in your future! :crying:

He may be able to loosen 'er up- I'd feed it some 30Hz, at 1V, then 2V then 3V, an hour each, then re-test.

edgewound
07-11-2011, 12:54 PM
If it's truly an old 2213 with the viscoelastic "goop" on the surround, you can reactivate it by applying either acetone or Methyl Ethyl Ketone...MEK...with a paintbrush. Be careful to not get any on the Aquaplas, or it might dissolve and come off. Let the solvent sit and soak in to loose up the goop.

Do this while the speakeris face up and preferably a turntable like a lazy susan.

If the 2213 is, or has been reconed with a later kit, say from the 1990's to present the goop wasn't used. A different damping compound was used that doesn't drip when placed vertically.

Good luck!!

slowpat
07-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks edgewound, I'll try that. It's an original 2213H, and I'm not even sure any dope's left on the surround. I've always wanted to try MEK, so will try that. And yes - I will use that outdoor and try not to breath in the fumes.. :blink:

jerry_rig
07-11-2011, 04:59 PM
As posted elsewhere, after much searching and many calls to manufacturers and repair outfits, I finally found a great goop to treat cloth surrounds. An outfit called Simply Speakers caries it: Foam Guard-Speaker Foam Edge Sealer, White PVA, MI-1291FG

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/speaker-repair-cone-edge-sealer-mi-1291fg.html

It comes out of the bottle white, but dries clear and stays slightly tacky.

edgewound
07-11-2011, 05:36 PM
As posted elsewhere, after much searching and many calls to manufacturers and repair outfits, I finally found a great goop to treat cloth surrounds. An outfit called Simply Speakers caries it: Foam Guard-Speaker Foam Edge Sealer, White PVA, MI-1291FG

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/speaker-repair-cone-edge-sealer-mi-1291fg.html

It comes out of the bottle white, but dries clear and stays slightly tacky.

It's not the same stuff as the "goop" and they don't mix.

The infamous viscoelastic "goop" is solvent based, PVA is waterbased.

But...You're right in that a newly reconed speaker such as an EVM12L, uses PVA....which comes in different formulations.