PDA

View Full Version : Using 2225 in a L300/4333 clone?

mark214
06-29-2011, 06:33 AM
If stock 2225's were used in a 3 way a L300/4333 type configuration in 5 to 8 cu enclosures how would the sound be different than 136a's, LE15's or 2235's?

Mannermusic
06-29-2011, 07:19 AM
The 2235 is the correct/recommended replacement for the 136A/H. Other woofers are going to need crossover redesign to achieve optimum system performance. Both have significantly higher efficiency so it becomes a "from scratch" effort. Also, it's a trade-off with efficiency vs low-end freq. extension. What are you looking for? How are your crossover design chops? But, the operative word in your post is "clone." The 2235 is the woofer that fits your needs. Here's the 2225 H/J engineering sheet for your perusal: http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2225hj.pdf

mark214
06-29-2011, 08:21 AM
I guess a better question would be that I have 4 2225's in great shape and some 077's and Le85's what would be the best way (is there a best way) to use them in a 4333/L300 type config?

I know that the 2335 is the best option and as I understand it the 2225 basket can be reconed as a 2235 but the 2225's are original JBL not aftermarket and it would be a shame to recone a perfectly fine speaker.

speakerdave
06-29-2011, 08:44 AM
I used a pair of 2225H's in an actual pair of 4333a's while I was refoaming my 2231's. The loss of lower bass was easily recognizable, but there was also an improvement in the upper bass/lowermidrange (slam--the presence of something like tympani was greatly improved). But I knew perfectly well that I could not settle long-term for the lack of low bass and did not even consider leaving them installed. I also tried a pair of 2235's in that speaker, and though the bass was definitely improved over the 2231, I didn't think it worked well with the crossover (although I must admit that I haven't noticed a lot of people agreeing with me). These experiments actually were important factors in my deciding to seek out one of the large JBL four-way monitors, which is what I recommend you build if you are going to build some speakers.

It has been my observation that these speaker-building journeys which begin with a question like yours--'I have THESE components: What can I build with them?'--as if the whirlwind of contingency which drops some drivers in someone's lap is a design principle for audio gear--these journeys do not go well. You need to start with a chosen end product--one for which all the elements are still available either new or used--and do what it takes to make it happen. I would suggest you read these forums for information on the 4344 and the crossover redesign that has been done by member <4313b> and build that speaker.

mark214
06-29-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the reply.

It no so much that the components fell into my lap. I have wanted a similar pair of L200 W/077 & N8000 for a while and acquired the 077's and LE85's for that purpose but the 2225's were an unplanned acquisition at a very favorable price.

I have a line on some 2215's locally and will complete the project without using the 2225's.

I used a pair of 2225H's in an actual pair of 4333a's while I was refoaming my 2231's. The loss of lower bass was easily recognizable, but there was also an improvement in the upper bass/lowermidrange (slam--the presence of something like tympani was greatly improved). But I knew perfectly well that I could not settle long-term for the lack of low bass and did not even consider leaving them installed. I also tried a pair of 2235's in that speaker, and though the bass was definitely improved over the 2231, I didn't think it worked well with the crossover (although I must admit that I haven't noticed a lot of people agreeing with me). These experiments actually were important factors in my deciding to seek out one of the large JBL four-way monitors, which is what I recommend you build if you are going to build some speakers.

It has been my observation that these speaker-building journeys which begin with a question like yours--'I have THESE components: What can I build with them?'--as if the whirlwind of contingency which drops some drivers in someone's lap is a design principle for audio gear--these journeys do not go well. You need to start with a chosen end product--one for which all the elements are still available either new or used--and do what it takes to make it happen. I would suggest you read these forums for information on the 4344 and the crossover redesign that has been done by member <4313b> and build that speaker.

hjames
06-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the reply.

It no so much that the components fell into my lap. I have wanted a similar pair of L200 W/077 & N8000 for a while and acquired the 077's and LE85's for that purpose but the 2225's were an unplanned acquisition at a very favorable price.

I have a line on some 2215's locally and will complete the project without using the 2225's.

Your Location is pretty vague - hard to tell where you are,
but I still have the 2215s that came out of my old 4320s ... before I morphed the parts into L200 cabinets and did a ton of upgrades ...

subwoof
06-29-2011, 11:10 AM
And I have a number of 4331/3 cabinets that need refinishing should that style suffice...and a smattering of L200's also.

sub

edgewound
06-29-2011, 01:49 PM
If stock 2225's were used in a 3 way a L300/4333 type configuration in 5 to 8 cu enclosures how would the sound be different than 136a's, LE15's or 2235's?

You could take some of David's observations seriously about the bass slam and upper bass definition, and extend the bottom octave by adding a passive radiator on the rear of the enclosure.

You can tune the PR by adding or removing mass suit your tastes and room while keeping the footprint of an L300 or L200.