PDA

View Full Version : This might be a silly question (storing vintage drivers)

lessblue
06-25-2011, 08:03 AM
I own a pair of JBL L112s which I really love and are hooked up to a Yamaha CA-2010 integrated amp.

I enjoy them so much that over time I've bought a complete set of used vintage backup drivers (a pair each of 128H, LE5-12 and 044). I'm hoping I never have to use the replacement drivers but I was wondering what the best practice is in storing them away.

Tightly sealed plastic container with some desiccant thrown in to keep humidity issues at bay? Any thoughts or info on how you store your drivers would be appreciated especially if I should worry about humidity. I'm probably overthinking it but these drivers were a pretty penny all in all. The price for JBL L112s have lately been on the up side.

Eaulive
06-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Try to store them vertically, as if they were in an enclosure.
Just don't store them frontside up (magnet down) as time will create an offset.

lessblue
06-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Thank you very much. That is very good information to know!

brutal
06-25-2011, 12:05 PM
I own a pair of JBL L112s which I really love and are hooked up to a Yamaha CA-2010 integrated amp.

I enjoy them so much that over time I've bought a complete set of used vintage backup drivers (a pair each of 128H, LE5-12 and 044). I'm hoping I never have to use the replacement drivers but I was wondering what the best practice is in storing them away.

Tightly sealed plastic container with some desiccant thrown in to keep humidity issues at bay? Any thoughts or info on how you store your drivers would be appreciated especially if I should worry about humidity. I'm probably overthinking it but these drivers were a pretty penny all in all. The price for JBL L112s have lately been on the up side.

You have good taste. I'm a Yamaha/JBL nut myself.

I agree, store the 128H vertically.

lessblue
06-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks brutal, I like the Yamaha/JBL sound.

Is it good advice to keep all of these drivers in a vertical position or is the only concern with the 128Hs because of their large magnets?

Is it alright if they're stored sandwiched, facing each other in a vertical position? I should buy some desiccant too.

brutal
06-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks brutal, I like the Yamaha/JBL sound.

Is it good advice to keep all of these drivers in a vertical position or is the only concern with the 128Hs because of their large magnets?

Is it alright if they're stored sandwiched, facing each other in a vertical position? I should buy some desiccant too.

Assuming you use something to limit the surround roll from touching its partner, I think it would be fine to face the 128H. IMHO, I would only be concerned with the 128H because the weight of the come will, as Eaulive said, create an offset by pushing on the spider.