PDA

View Full Version : Mildew

Zilch
09-08-2004, 12:02 PM
Mildew spots on E145 cone. I'm reluctant to try bleach solution. How about alcohol? They are on the rear of the cone, as well, i.e., grown through, perhaps. Any suggestions?

johnaec
09-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Is it still growing? Can you dry it out good in the sun, then brush it off? 4628's right? ('Look just like mine, except for the mildew...)

John

Zilch
09-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by johnaec
4628's right? ('Look just like mine, except for the mildew...)

The ones from GA. There are other "issues," though. UPS dropped 'em purdy hard. So hard it tore the port tubes free and cracked one of the cabinets, loosening the baffle. Looks like the pole piece shifted in one of the 2118's. Not pretty.

I already have a good set of 4628B's. My intent was (is) to build Gold Sound Kit 11 boxes for the drivers, as was suggested here. No response from Gold yet, tho....

UPS insurance should cover everything but the mildew. LOL

johnaec
09-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Zilch
UPS dropped 'em pretty hard.UPS has done the same thing to me more than once. Their insurance usually comes through, though...

My intent was (is) to build Gold Sound Kit 11 boxes for the drivers, as was suggested here.Gold boxes?? :confused:

Good luck! - John

Zilch
09-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Gold boxes?? :confused: http://www.goldsound.net/kit11.htm

May try their crossovers, as well.

Anybody have the plans?

[GEEZE, I love them 2404's. Where's my spare 2118, now....]

Zilch
09-09-2004, 12:31 PM
4628's right? ('Look just like mine, except for the mildew...)[Wonders if John got a chance to do RTA curves on them 4628's]

Zilch
09-09-2004, 12:33 PM
2118H da front:

Zilch
09-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Can we say "ECCENTRIC?"

johnaec
09-09-2004, 02:18 PM
[Wonders if John got a chance to do RTA curves on them 4628's] Nope - I sold the DOD RTA to a forum member and am waiting on the calibrated mic to use with the DBX DR260 - it'll happen, though...

BTW - I happen to have a single 2118H with a slightly dented dust cover, (got it before I decided to use an E110 instead) - I'll let it go cheap...

John

Zilch
09-09-2004, 02:34 PM
I'll let it go cheap...I actually had one in stock here myself. If UPS covers the rehab cost, I'll have this one as a spare.

I look forward to the RTA analysis. How anything this nasty with such a minimalist crossover can sound so damn good deserves further exploration.... :)

4313B
09-09-2004, 03:18 PM
How anything this nasty with such a minimalist crossover can sound so damn good deserves further exploration.... :) That's EXACTLY what they said about the old L100 Century after half a dozen beers! :rotfl:

Figge
09-09-2004, 03:48 PM
it takes atleast a dozen to get that effect!:)

Zilch
09-09-2004, 03:59 PM
Y'all'll note the obligatory puke stream down the right grille, there. Part of the "Cabaret Cachet," it's evidence of abundant appreciation expressed by precedent grog-swilling afficionados.... :D

Figge
09-09-2004, 04:30 PM
ha!:)

btw! where can i get those white jbl stickers u got on the sides there?

Zilch
09-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Figge
btw! where can i get those white jbl stickers u got on the sides there? Actually, that's painted on the sides of all Cabaret models, i.e, not a sticker. I have seen similar vinyl JBL logo stickers appearing occasionally on eBay. Also, your local vinyl cutout sign guy has a way of scanning and replicating artwork to make them up.

I doubt they have the capability of scanning one of these Cabarets, tho. :p

Some previous owner of THIS pair thought painting over the grille logos was more important than touchin' up the dings, apparently. Maybe it was the Celestion rep did it. Carries a mini-spray can to black out JBL logos wherever apparent, we suppose....

Figge
09-10-2004, 03:03 AM
thx Z.

nice speakers btw! they look....well...used!:)

i think they are very cool. looks dangerouse! arent they a little agressive to use at home?

Zilch
09-10-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Figge
Aren't they a little agressive to use at home?

We've had several discussions here recently regarding this particular combination of drivers. The cone mid-range imparts a warmth to them uncharacteristic of typical sound reinforcement and musical instrument systems.

Similarly, the ultra-smooth 2404 is my favorite tweeter (076 a close second). The Biradial horn on them actually works as intended.

And, the E-145 is one killer woofer, of course. They'll have to be supplemented with Sub1500's, tho, for "extended" bass. ;)

So, the idea is to repackage the drivers in more "friendly" cabinets, vertical in-line alignment with offset. They'll come out as towers, looking more like L220, but a little smaller. Alternatively, the existing design could be rebuilt in a mirror-image pair, veneer finished with grilles, to look more like large-format monitors.

John's doing RTA curves on them to see what the actual performance is. It seems that everyone who as owned a pair of these has liked the sound for home use. We suspect that there is something else ideal about this combination of drivers which allowed JBL to get away with the truly minimalist crossovers they used here.