PDA

View Full Version : New BX63a Clones ?

LE15-Thumper
09-08-2004, 11:21 AM
:idea: If there was enough interest I would be willing to set up a small production to make some of these. I have a lot of experience working with Pcb design and general hobbying and building. I was born with a soldering iron in one hand and roll of solder in the other, my poor mother :rolleyes:
Seriously though, I would be willing to make a proto-type and let some of the group experts try it out. One question : Copyright issues ? :hmm:
Let me know what you think

4313B
09-08-2004, 11:33 AM
You might want to check with Ian to see where he is at with his new active filter project.

Also, have you checked these projects out?

http://sound.westhost.com/projects.htm

There are some sub EQ's and such.

LE15-Thumper
09-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Thanks Giskard. I had seen some of those.
I mentioned this for the die-hards out there that want the same as the BX-63. I know that other things will work and maybe even better.
I just thought maybe for the members who aren't as comfy with the idea of PCB etching and such, this may be an alternative.
I guess I'll wait to see what the response will be like.

4313B
09-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Ok :)

LE15-Thumper
09-08-2004, 01:20 PM
"I guess I'll wait and see what the RESPONSE will be like" ?

No pun intended ?
Ok, I'll leave the comedy to the real Comedians; The design team at Bose. :montyp:

Zilch
09-08-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by LE15-Thumper
One question : Copyright issues ? :hmm:
Let me know what you think
There ARE copyright issues, of course, and I doubt JBL would grant you leave to do it. Might be worth a try, tho. Write their corporate legal office and inquire.

The circuitry is not patented that I'm aware of. Replicating the JBL board would certainly raise copyright issues [I have considered this myself.] However, if you were to incorporate design enhancements as might be suggested by users here, using your own circuit layout and packaging (you know the drill,) it would be more difficult to challenge as a "derivative" work.

Clearly, there's less risk in making and selling a board of your own design rather than a complete "clone" product....

LE15-Thumper
09-08-2004, 02:13 PM
I agree with you Zilch. A different PCB would be pretty easy to come up with. Copying the JBL one would be kinda wrong , even if they no longer offer this product.
We could play with the slopes a bit or put a really killer power supply in it... WBT jacks.... Solen caps...Silver wiring ....maybe even point to point wiring :thmbsup:

I'm getting a tent !

Zilch
09-08-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by LE15-Thumper
WBT jacks.... Solen caps...Silver wiring ....maybe even point to point wiring :thmbsup: Bear in mind your market. We are nothing if not cheap here.... :D

LE15-Thumper
09-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Better cheap than dishonest !
I have worked with the public in one of North America's most tight- a*s cities for 23 years now. I know cheap !
Maybe I could build a model for the Krell crowd and one for the Sansui crowd.
Hope I didn't step on any toes. :duck:

Don C
09-08-2004, 04:51 PM
If you wanted to sell some pre made circuit boards, I would be interested. I could build the rest myself.

LE15-Thumper
09-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Do we have the "actual" schematic here on the forum ?
I could come up with a few different power supplies to test with them. Maybe a tube power supply ! :hmm: :thmbsup:

LE15-Thumper
09-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Thanks Don. If I could get enough of an order together I would be willing to do something like that. And maybe offer a few kits, one closer to original and one mod'ed to the gills with high end parts and one with just a PCB for the hardcore DIY'ers.
It sounds like a lot of fun. I would love to do it as long as I don't loose my shirt. There is a guy right here in town that does professional pcb etching.

Guido
09-09-2004, 03:38 AM
Let me know when you are ready :thmbsup:

Figge
09-09-2004, 05:47 AM
why not offer them as diy kits also for us soldering freaks!

LE15-Thumper
09-09-2004, 08:57 AM
In one of my posts I did mention 3 options.
1. One with PCB with original type parts
2. One with PCB and high end parts
3. And one with just a bare board.

I am going to get the schematic and start working on it this weekend.
Like I don't more pressing issues at home :rolleyes:

I can always wai till summer to prepare my house for winter :confused:

4313B
09-09-2004, 09:14 AM
Check your PM inbox.