PDA

View Full Version : Question about identifying custom modifications on JBL Speakers

twothemaste
06-19-2011, 04:28 PM
New here, thanks for having me!

Recently, I became the proud new owners of some amazing speakers that were given to me by a friend that owns a professional music studio as repayment for a favor. I was told they were custom, and somewhat valuable. Just out of curiosity, how can I verify that they are indeed custom and of value? he said they were about $1700 after all was said and done. Regardless, I will enjoy them no matter how much they are worth because it is evident they are great speakers. The shell is a pair of 4408 's.

these aren't mine but look identical as far as an untrained eye can see

twothemaste
06-19-2011, 04:42 PM
sorry the link didnt work

hjames
06-19-2011, 05:50 PM
New here, thanks for having me!

Recently, I became the proud new owners of some amazing speakers that were given to me by a friend that owns a professional music studio as repayment for a favor. I was told they were custom, and somewhat valuable. Just out of curiosity, how can I verify that they are indeed custom and of value? he said they were about $1700 after all was said and done. Regardless, I will enjoy them no matter how much they are worth because it is evident they are great speakers. The shell is a pair of 4408 's.

What do you mean "The shell is a pair of 4408s" - basic 4408s are nice speakers,
but in stock form, they don't normally have that kind of value. But no matter -
the real value is what they are worth to you, or worst case, if it comes to that, what you can sell them for.

Should we assume there is no Kenrick branding on yours, correct?

I mean no flames towards Kenrick sounds, of course, but -
you used their picture just because when you searched for an image to use,
you found their pictures and it looks like your speakers, right?

twothemaste
06-19-2011, 06:46 PM
apparently the internals were replaced but if i open it up i have no idea how to tell what is different than how it is originally manufactured

DavidF
06-19-2011, 10:39 PM
apparently the internals were replaced but if i open it up i have no idea how to tell what is different than how it is originally manufactured

Hmmm. Call be a doubter about $1,700 of value inside. How come these are Kenrick Sound pictures?

JeffW
06-20-2011, 08:13 AM
How come these are Kenrick Sound pictures?

Maybe?

louped garouv
06-20-2011, 09:49 AM

did you ask exactly what was modified, from the source you got them from?

seems the easist way to ascertain any changes, IMHO
especially without any good knowledge of the stock form

toddalin
06-20-2011, 10:40 AM
I see 4408s on C/L all the time for next to nothing. That sounds like a lot of money for what probably amounts to a couple different capacitors and maybe coils in the crossover.

twothemaste
06-20-2011, 06:22 PM
sorry i just google image searched 4408's i wasnt home to take the pic, but they look just like that. I was just wondering if typically when JBL does custom orders they will put it on a label or sticker on the back, but the back is clean

hjames
06-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Just standard out of the box 4408s ...