PDA

View Full Version : Drivers inside 5641 enclosures

Jonas_h
06-07-2011, 10:51 AM
I have bought three 5641 enclosures (the bottom of the 3731 cinema speaker: http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/support/getfile.aspx?docid=618&doctype=3). Bought them brand new directly from the JBL dealer in my country.

According to specs they are 8 ohm with the 2226H inside. When I hooked one of them up, I noticed a strange rattle sound whenever the driver was playing bass. Sounded like VC rubbing. I talked to the dealer, and I should send in the driver and they would look at it.

I just disconnected the driver, and to my big surprise, it says: "2226HPL 16 Ohms" on the driver. Am I missing something, or have they put in the wrong drivers in my order?

See screenshot:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10759510/ForumPics/Photo%2007-06-11%2019.35.34.jpeg

Any input?

grumpy
06-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Appears that somebody goofed up making (legitimate?) foilcals...
2226H = 8 ohms, 2226J = 16 ohms

another point for inspection:
http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Theatre%20Series/5671.pdf

Jonas_h
06-07-2011, 11:30 AM
This is so weird... They are 100% legitimate - when I placed the order, they were manufactored at JBL and sent by ship to Denmark.
The link you sent me also shows, that the terminals are placed on top... On my enclosures they are on the side of the enclosure.. Not that important, but still shows that something is not correct according to specs!

grumpy
06-07-2011, 01:57 PM
:dont-know:
Have the dealer check the DC resistance of the drivers while they are looking for the rattle.

Jonas_h
06-08-2011, 02:32 AM
I'm gonna do that. Then I'll just have to trust him, if he says that it actually is an 8 ohm driver with misprinted labels. And unless he replaces the label with a correct one, it will be hard to sell them again :(
I knew I should have went with standard off-the-shelf consumer gear:)

Jonas_h
06-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Just bought a multimeter and got the value '5,6'... I get the same value for the compression drivers. I tested and old speaker which was rated at 8ohm as well, and it read 7,6... Unfortunately I dont have any 4 ohms speakers to test. I single speaker wire read 1,1...

Seems like the label is wrong!

mech986
06-10-2011, 02:51 AM
See this thread about the HPL version, I also believe its the label used for in house built JBL product versus drivers sold to the public individually.

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?20161-2226H-2226HPL&p=202203

Also this comment from another forum:

Mike L Papas wrote on Fri, 23 December 2005 22:20
The PL suffix on JBL speakers stands for "Private Label" or "Plain Label". These are sold as OEM components to speaker box builders. So, a JBL-built box would have, let's say, a 2226H in it while a box built by another manufacturer woud use the 2226HPL. It's exactly the same thing.

You are close. A JBL driver with the PL designation on it stands for plain label. If you buy a JBL speaker it will have a PL driver in it. If you bought a driver from JBL it would be a regular G,H, or J. The drivers are exactly the same. The PL version are so they can be verified as the original driver that was put in the enclosure by JBL for warranty purposes. The rubber ring is just added protection for shipping. You may remove it if you like.

Keith Erickson
JBL Professional

Bart

Eaulive
06-10-2011, 05:24 AM
If those are recent production made in Mexico, I would not be surprised _at all_ if Pedro screwed up and put the wrong label on the driver. :crying:

subwoof
06-10-2011, 05:46 AM
look on the cone's rear for any writing - most have a white hand written note that says what the kit is.

On the older cinema cabs the input plate used to be on the bottom then was moved to an upper side rear corner so the wires would be shorter and this is where the passive crossover could be installed ( the "TH" suffix ).

And 3 of my sources at JBL called the PL version "protector less". JBL didn't sell a separate line for installers / builders ( I was a dealer then ) but all of those items were available thru the parts dept.

and just to make a few people cringe, the 1997 "warehouse" sale sold the dual 15 ( with 16 ohm speakers ) for 111.11 each. with FREE US shipping....my wife hated me when the truck showed up...:)

sub

grumpy
06-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Just bought a multimeter and got the value '5,6'... I get the same value for the compression drivers. I tested and old speaker which was rated at 8ohm as well, and it read 7,6... Unfortunately I dont have any 4 ohms speakers to test. I single speaker wire read 1,1...

Seems like the label is wrong!

5.6 ohms is on the high side but still likely an 8 ohm
driver, 2226HPL.

Jonas_h
06-14-2011, 05:43 AM
I have just gotten a new "standard" 2226H driver instead of the defective one, and it measures the same as the one with the 16 ohm label. So the label must be wrong.

Another thing I find weird is, that on the spec sheet of the 2226h driver, it says + on black => forward cone motion... On both my 2226HPL and 2226H it is clearly labeled that + on red => forward cone.. Is this just to get rid of the old black=>forward way of doing it?

Eaulive
06-14-2011, 06:36 PM
I have just gotten a new "standard" 2226H driver instead of the defective one, and it measures the same as the one with the 16 ohm label. So the label must be wrong.

Another thing I find weird is, that on the spec sheet of the 2226h driver, it says + on black => forward cone motion... On both my 2226HPL and 2226H it is clearly labeled that + on red => forward cone.. Is this just to get rid of the old black=>forward way of doing it?

I find it strange that a 2226 can read " + on red = forward".
Try them with a 9V battery and you'll see.

maxwedge
06-14-2011, 06:50 PM

The 2226 is of negative convention meaning that a positive voltage on the positive (red) terminal causes the cone to move rearward.
You can check cone transducers with a 9v battery to confirm.