PDA

View Full Version : what is up with this tamper proof crap-jbl sticker over the control board bolt?

jbll100wolfman
06-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Well, long story short......new acquired L100's....needed to know what drivers are installed in these, and if all original (un-opened-virgin) ((which these were not opened before, until I opened them)).

Main thing is the variable adjust controls need cleaning. How to access them. Well, pull the drivers is the only way, and then I can see what drivers are in there.
LE25, LE5-2, and 123A-3, Cabinet serial numbers 240802a, 240450a.

Now the problem is..........that sticker for the serial number is covering the fourth bolt to take out the variable control board.

I dont want to peel the sticker back, that wont look good. I can only think of cutting a circle around where the fourth bolt is for access, and I really dont want to do that.

Has anyone ever taken those out on this particular model before , to spray the controls with DEOXIT, without ruining the sticker?

Please help me out here.......any idea's.....

hjames
06-05-2011, 09:47 AM
L100s are an older model - I think a lot of folks have cleaned the controls with deoxit, or reworked the control panel with new pots!

I think the general consensus on removing a foilcal is to hit it with a hot hair dryer or heat gun to soften the glue,
then you grab the corner and peel it back to access that hidden screw.

Worst case - you can get a new pair of foilcals from ebay user sign--shop - he has made replacement foilcals for a number of members here
http://myworld.ebay.com/sign--shop/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Well, long story short......new acquired L100's....needed to know what drivers are installed in these, and if all original (un-opened-virgin) ((which these were not opened before, until I opened them)).

Main thing is the variable adjust controls need cleaning. How to access them. Well, pull the drivers is the only way, and then I can see what drivers are in there.

Now the problem is..........that sticker for the serial number is covering the fourth bolt to take out the variable control board.

I dont want to peel the sticker back, that wont look good. I can only think of cutting a circle around where the fourth bolt is for access, and I really dont want to do that.

Has anyone ever taken those out on this particular model before , to spray the controls with DEOXIT, without ruining the sticker?

jbll100wolfman
06-05-2011, 10:01 AM
The safer way to take off the foicals is to heat them with a hair-dryer.
heat gun, etc.
That's what's printed in the service manual.

Thanks for your reply, and , I did google a thread which stated the above info , also.
I am getting out the hair dryer as I type this....

thanks to ya'll

jbll100wolfman
06-05-2011, 10:23 AM
L100s are an older model - I think a lot of folks have cleaned the controls with deoxit, or reworked the control panel with new pots!

I think the general consensus on removing a foilcal is to hit it with a hot hair dryer or heat gun to soften the glue,
then you grab the corner and peel it back to access that hidden screw.

Worst case - you can get a new pair of foilcals from ebay user sign--shop - he has made replacement foilcals for a number of members here
http://myworld.ebay.com/sign--shop/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

THANK YOU .....THANK YOU......and THANK YOU.....
photo of job well done.....

jbll100wolfman
06-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Now, I just need to know what the best contact glue to use on that sticker I pulled back for that fourth bolt on the L-pad?

One great thing I was able to do with the initial job , which was needing to spray those pods inside, was to set the woofers to mirror themselves, or at least point away the same, or towards each other, instead of both the same direction, and of course, find out for sure the exact drivers inside. I will say this, I am safe to say that I have been the first to open these cabinets. All drivers Ohm'ed out decent, and they all work, with the tone adjustments working also.

I ended up with the 123a-3, LE5-2, and the LE25.
before and after photos

Eaulive
06-05-2011, 06:52 PM
I like those speakers, some say they're not really accurate but I still like them :D
Good job on keeping those alive, mine are quite beaten up.

jbll100wolfman
06-06-2011, 02:48 PM
I actually think the JBL L100's sound pretty good for the money, at least for my pair.
I use to think that my Klipsch Quartet's were kind of bright, but, these L100's kind of shade them a little. I dont regret buying the L100's at all. I am going to at least place them a little above my Klipsch KG4's as far as sound goes, being the KG4's are two way, versus the three way L100's.

jfine
06-11-2011, 10:43 AM
I know it's too late, but IME, it will still look like they were taken off, I could never get them to lay flat and smooth like factory, especially the edges.

With the right tweezer like snap pliers, and some tape to protect the knob, I have been able to pull the knob off straight off from the front. Once off, the nut that holds the lpad is usually just snug, and keeping it from spinning with a flat blade from the front, while grabbing and turning the lpad from the back, it will come out.

Then I found that if you really get the deoxit straw inside the little vents in the back of the lpad and blast it, 95% of the time it will do as good a job as disassembling the lpad.

rjtimmerman
06-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Hello, I produce replacement foilcals for both L100 and Century + many other parts.
Please let me know...if you need to have NEW labels-if the others with not look good after removing.
Regards, r.j
[email protected]