PDA

View Full Version : JBL 130a with D130 Cone Kit a no go right?

adamsapple
06-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Sorry to rehash this argument but I'm selling a JBL 130a speaker on ebay with a jbl 2220h recone kit. I've listed this speaker as a woofer. I recieved the following private message from a reconer:

"This is no longer a 130A woofer. It has been re-coned as a D130 full range speaker with aluminum dustcap." "and my own experience in re-coning these, which goes back over 50 years. The 130A and D130 baskets & magnets are identical, and either model can be converted to the other. That isn't to say that there are not design differences in the vintages, and current/later cone kits cannot be installed in early baskets without machining the magnet structure top plates. The D130 has the aluminum dustcap and aluminum wire voice coil. The 130A woofer has a paper dustcap and copper voice coil.
End of story. You can also mix & match coils, dustcaps, & cones, if you purchase these separately (only as aftermarket parts). I didn't run your cone number to find out if
it is proprietary, but the JBL cone number should be either 21057, or 130-202 (early).
The genuine JBL recone kit for the 8 Ohm D130 would be C8RD130."

In my earlier post regarding this issue, Edgewound emphatically stated that you cant recone a 130a with a D130 kit and make a real D130. Beleive me if I could make a 130a into a D130 I'd keep the speaker and recone it into a D130 for guitar playing. Also this 130a is definatley a woofer as it has none of the high end that my K130 has. FWIW. Any clarification appreciated. :D

adamsapple
06-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Here's a link to the original thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?30882-JBL-130a-convertable-to-D130&highlight=

edgewound
06-05-2011, 12:32 AM
Sorry to rehash this argument but I'm selling a JBL 130a speaker on ebay with a jbl 2220h recone kit. I've listed this speaker as a woofer. I recieved the following private message from a reconer:

"This is no longer a 130A woofer. It has been re-coned as a D130 full range speaker with aluminum dustcap." "and my own experience in re-coning these, which goes back over 50 years. The 130A and D130 baskets & magnets are identical, and either model can be converted to the other. That isn't to say that there are not design differences in the vintages, and current/later cone kits cannot be installed in early baskets without machining the magnet structure top plates. The D130 has the aluminum dustcap and aluminum wire voice coil. The 130A woofer has a paper dustcap and copper voice coil.
End of story. You can also mix & match coils, dustcaps, & cones, if you purchase these separately (only as aftermarket parts). I didn't run your cone number to find out if
it is proprietary, but the JBL cone number should be either 21057, or 130-202 (early).
The genuine JBL recone kit for the 8 Ohm D130 would be C8RD130."

In my earlier post regarding this issue, Edgewound emphatically stated that you cant recone a 130a with a D130 kit and make a real D130. Beleive me if I could make a 130a into a D130 I'd keep the speaker and recone it into a D130 for guitar playing. Also this 130a is definatley a woofer as it has none of the high end that my K130 has. FWIW. Any clarification appreciated. :D

I stand by my original answers. No need to expound any further. It looks like your driver might have been fitted with an aluminum cap. A clue is that the 2220 recone kit has the black neoprene gaskets. There's no way that's a D130 kit, due to the cloth m-roll surround. D130 was all paper surround. K130, E130 and 2220 all use the same cone, though cone suppliers might have changed over the years, along with part numbers. If that kit installed has a copper coil it's a 2220 kit. If it's an aluminum coil it's a K130 or E130 kit which both have the cork composite gasket included in the kit.

Upon further inspection of the second photo...it looks like "2220" is hand written in yellow china pencil on the back of the cone. Typical of JBL production back in the 1980's

adamsapple
06-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Damn Edgewound, you've got good eyes! Yes the cone has 2220H written on it with yellow pencil. Anyway, I picked up a good K130 speaker so im happy. Much confusion over JBL specs over the years. Thx Edgewound for answering all my question. ;)

edgewound
06-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Damn Edgewound, you've got good eyes! Yes the cone has 2220H written on it with yellow pencil. Anyway, I picked up a good K130 speaker so im happy. Much confusion over JBL specs over the years. Thx Edgewound for answering all my question. ;)

My pleasure, adamsapple.

It sounds like your eBay message is from a seller selling aftermarket recone kits. I'm impressed that he's been doing it wrong for 50 years.