PDA

View Full Version : JBL 940s

bgramfan
05-30-2011, 06:28 PM
After 20 years of rocking these babys part of the speaker finally gave out. I need to replace either the titanium tweeter for this or the mid range speaker, it is hard to tell which one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don C
05-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Put your ear right up close to the individual speakers to hear if they are working or not. If the tweeter is bad, you can buy cheap clones on eBay or from Parts express or various other sources. But I don't know where to get the mid-range speakers, so lets hope that they aren't bad. You can always swap speakers from the left cabinet to the right to make sure that the problem is in the speaker, not the crossover or wiring.

Earl K
05-31-2011, 05:40 AM
Here's a ( current Harman ) link to the 940t tech sheet. (http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands/jbl/Products/ProductRelatedDocuments/en-US/technicalsheet/JBL940t%20ts.pdf)

Or the same pdf file as an attachment ; >>>51487<<<

I've seen these parts ( 30x-G series ) come up on eBay from time to time . I believe that's the easiest fix, if a transducer is blown .

If you want to substitute from other suppliers you'll need to pay close attention to the sensitivities & DCRs ( listed in the sheet ) of whatever part you are replacing . Of course physical size & frequency response will also need to be matched ( or approximated ) .

If you are not up to doing any of the above / maybe just junk them / & sell the parts on eBay to finance something else .

<> EarlK