PDA

View Full Version : 2404H-1 Polarity Question

hrasco
05-29-2011, 02:23 AM
I am replacing the diaphragms in my 2404H-1 drivers. The new JBL diaphragms have no polarity markings. How can I determine which lead is which?

Thanks

1audiohack
05-29-2011, 09:06 AM
No little black dot (done with a Sharpie marker) by one of the leads?

hrasco
05-29-2011, 11:04 AM
No black dot on either one.

John Relyea
05-29-2011, 11:30 AM
are there any markings on the old units

I am replacing the diaphragms in my 2404H-1 drivers. The new JBL diaphragms have no polarity markings. How can I determine which lead is which?

Thanks

hrasco
05-29-2011, 01:02 PM
There is a black dot on the old unit. That lead goes to the "bottom" of the voice coil and the other to the "top". I would guess if I match the leads the same way on the new diaphragm I would be ok. Would like some reassurance before I solder anything. It's driving me nuts 'cause I can't wait to hear them!

FWIW the build quality is far inferior to the original. If I hadn't ordered directly from JBL I would be suspicious these were aftermarket. I just hope that ugly looking voice coil will fit in the magnet gap.

1audiohack
05-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Your exactly right, on all accounts, the lead going to the bottom of the coil is the posative or black connector, most easily seen crossing the coil in the gap in the former material by the posative lead.

The build quality of the "new" ones mortified me, I sent them back but I bought them out of curiosity, not of need.

I hope yours fit the gap as too, mine looked like stucco and chicken wire.

All the best.
Barry.

script56
02-13-2013, 06:09 PM
My 066 recone kit does not have any markings. I read about the lead that is on the bottom is negative, but is that based on holding the coil upside down from underneath or right side up as it would be installed?