PDA

View Full Version : 250ti Loose Binding Post

kmanusa
05-22-2011, 07:34 AM
I just bought a pair of 250ti that are in good condition overall. However, one of the speaker binding posts is loose (probably due to over tightening with a nut driver tool). I am guessing that the nut on the rear of the binding post needs to be tightened. To do this I need to get access to the internal facing of the speaker back panel. What is the easiest way to get access-- taking the speaker back panel off (it appears to be held in place with screws) or do I need to pull the woofer?

rdgrimes
05-22-2011, 08:32 AM
I would go ahead and plan to replace both binding posts. You'll need a pair with 3/4" or less of height on the outside, so as not to protrude out beyond the rear panel.

These should have a knurled shaft, so you have the hole in the Masonite board stripped out plus a loose nut inside. This stripped out hole might be an impediment to mounting new posts correctly. I'd get some quality banana plugs and use them instead of wire or lugs that require tightening the nut.

The crossover is a 2-board monster, which you will need to remove through the woofer hole. The screws are easy to find once the woofer is out. But again I'll suggest that having done this operation you'll want to replace them both to avoid ever having to repeat the procedure. Also note that all driver connections are color coded, pay attention to what goes where. Been a while since I looked at mine, but I think you need to remove the entire assembly then split the 2 boards apart to get at the posts. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but once you get it out it'll be obvious.

Also, congrats on an excellent acquisition.

kmanusa
05-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks, it looks like I have a bit more of a job than I anticipated. I am using bannana plugs on my speaker cable right now so that is no problem. I'll need to set aside some time to take them apart.

I have been busy listening to them today and I am very pleased with the sound! I picked them up yesterday, meeting the seller outside of Richmond, Virginia. It was a nice drive and well worth the effort.

opimax
05-22-2011, 04:34 PM
pm sent

grumpy
05-23-2011, 07:56 AM
Nice Find! I'd clean up those straps and perhaps replace the screws while you're back there.

kmanusa
05-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Nice Find! I'd clean up those straps and perhaps replace the screws while you're back there.

Thanks! I started working on the straps yesterday. I did notice when I took them off that the metal under the screw heads was shiny. Still, plenty of grime came off the straps. A work in progress.