PDA

View Full Version : Powering JBL 240ti Question

Cactus Bob
05-13-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm running a pair of Yamaha PC2002 amps bridged 700 wpc with my 250ti's.
Can I run this much power with my 240ti's safely without pushing them too hard?

Thanks, Bob

rdgrimes
05-13-2011, 08:10 PM
The volume knob is what "pushes them too hard", not the amp's rating. That said I'd also suggest trying one amp in stereo mode as opposed to bridged, it might sound cleaner. Bridging usually sums noise and THD.

FWIW, I've run my L112s on 1000WPC and they didn't complain.

Eaulive
05-14-2011, 07:09 AM
The volume knob is what "pushes them too hard", not the amp's rating. That said I'd also suggest trying one amp in stereo mode as opposed to bridged, it might sound cleaner. Bridging usually sums noise and THD.

FWIW, I've run my L112s on 1000WPC and they didn't complain.

Like any good NRA member would say, amps don't kill speakers, people do :D

Or was it guns? :dont-know:

rdgrimes
05-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Guns can kill speakers too. ;)

I'd add that I would also suggest trying the 250ti on one amp in stereo mode for comparison. Or, still use both amps but with only one channel driven each.

Cactus Bob
05-14-2011, 10:30 AM
I'd add that I would also suggest trying the 250ti on one amp in stereo mode for comparison.

I took one amp out & tried the 250ti's that way once & they didn't sound nearly as good at 240 wpc.

Or, still use both amps but with only one channel driven each.

I'm not clear on that. You mean Left Ch. 250ti & Right Ch. 240ti bridged for comparison?

Thanks, Bob

rdgrimes
05-14-2011, 11:05 AM
I took one amp out & tried the 250ti's that way once & they didn't sound nearly as good at 240 wpc.

I'm not clear on that. You mean Left Ch. 250ti & Right Ch. 240ti bridged for comparison?

Thanks, Bob
With most stereo amps, using only one channel gives you some of the benefits of bridging without the drawbacks. Power is increased substantially to the single channel. It depends on the amp's design and power supply. I'm suggesting you try different ways to get away from bridging at all.

Eaulive
05-14-2011, 08:45 PM
With most stereo amps, using only one channel gives you some of the benefits of bridging without the drawbacks.

Because the power supply is less loaded with one channel driven, it can deliver more peak power and have better transient response.

It does not work with all amplifiers, mostly with those that have a single supply for both channels.

Cactus Bob
05-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Because the power supply is less loaded with one channel driven, it can deliver more peak power and have better transient response.

It does not work with all amplifiers, mostly with those that have a single supply for both channels.

I should have mentioned they are Yamaha PC2002's. I'm happy with them bridged with the 250ti's. I guess my next step will be trying the 240ti's with this setup.
I appreciate all of your opinions guys.

Thanks, Bob