PDA

View Full Version : water damage L100T3 cabinet

speakerlips
05-10-2011, 08:54 AM
hello ! been a while but Im back with a new issue. basement flooded with about 3-4 inchs of water and sure enough my beloved L100T3'S I have owned since new were sitting in the water .it appears the water has caused the seams at the bottom to swell mainly on each side of the cabinet .not broken but you can feel it .anyone have any ideas on repair or should I just leave it and live with it ? any thoughts or suugestions on repair would be great .thankx in advance.

rdgrimes
05-10-2011, 09:40 AM
1st thing is to remove the woofers and dry the cabs thoroughly. 2nd thing is to post detailed pictures.

Robh3606
05-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Hello

If the MDF or Pressboard has swelled there is not to much you can do about it. If they are still solid once you get them dried out and the seams are not open they will work just fine as they are. To fix it might be a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Rob:)

rdgrimes
05-10-2011, 11:14 AM
These cabs do turn up on eBay once in a while.

I've seen a few with considerable swelling, but the joints always seem to hold and stay sealed. I'd think they would need to be submerged for days or longer to separate those joints.

speakerlips
05-11-2011, 09:56 AM

so here are some pics of the water damage .thankx

rdgrimes
05-11-2011, 11:01 AM
If they're still damp you can try furniture clamps and 2x4s to help close the joints. Otherwise, I'd just leave it.

speakerlips
05-11-2011, 12:14 PM
If they're still damp you can try furniture clamps and 2x4s to help close the joints. Otherwise, I'd just leave it.

thankx for the replies . well, its been about 2-3 weeks and thats what they look like. not sure if they going to dry out much more. had massive fans blowing in basement along with mega de humidifier .to late to try the clamping thing ? as long as sound dont change I guess I could live with it but am also concerned about cabinet falling apart . seem appears solid inside along with brace.hmm

pathfindermwd
05-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Now would be a great time to buy a second set of L100T3's! You would gain some spare parts, or sell the extra's on ebay, you may actually come out ahead, turn lemons into lemonade. Or, you can take this opportunity to make that new cabinet you've always thought about with 1" MDF, and mirrored image holes.

rdgrimes
05-11-2011, 02:35 PM
^^^
True dat, the cabs do show up often enough on eBay without drivers. But these look fine unless you turn them over and should still be sealed and solid. The joint itself is behind the visible damage.

If you're concerned about progressive peeling or separation, you could use a little glue to seal and secure the edges. But wait at least a month for thorough drying.

Don Mascali
05-12-2011, 05:41 AM
A little Old English Polish to cover the color change and crank 'em up.