PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4341 original baffle color?

kris90
05-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Hi, I've just finished fully restoring a pair of neglected 4341's. They were painted all black.
They are the grey utility version. I know that the backs were black to begin with and the sides grey but when I sanded the baffles, I noticed that under the black paint it was grey. All of the grey utility 4341's that I've seen have black baffles! I checked the overspray on the inside of the cabs and saw grey covered with black?? Could it be possible that the baffles were painted black at some point? Maybe this was standard practice at the factory.
I just want to get these as original as I can!!! The serial number on one of them is
11099 and the other foilcal was missing! I know that these are a later production run that
uses the 2231a's51289.51288 Here's a before and after. P.S. No drivers are missing!!

hjames
05-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Very Nice -
I've got a walnut pair in near-original shape (PO changed out the 10 inch midbass drivers for 2123s - I swapped rebuilt 2122s into their place.)

If it helps, here is a 4341 tech reference thread I put together a few years ago ...
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?16493-4340-amp-4341-references-thread

Keep adding pix and info - its always good to see another pair come back to life!

Hi, I've just finished fully restoring a pair of neglected 4341's. They were painted all black.
They are the grey utility version. I know that the backs were black to begin with and the sides grey but when I sanded the baffles, I noticed that under the black paint it was grey. All of the grey utility 4341's that I've seen have black baffles! I checked the overspray on the inside of the cabs and saw grey covered with black?? Could it be possible that the baffles were painted black at some point? Maybe this was standard practice at the factory.
I just want to get these as original as I can!!! The serial number on one of them is
11099 and the other foilcal was missing! I know that these are a later production run that
uses the 2231a's51289.51288 Here's a before and after. P.S. No drivers are missing!!

kris90
05-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply!!, I'm waiting for the foam surrounds that fit the 2231a's to
arrive. I'm going to need some dot 3 for the lansaloy surrounds on the 2121's as well.
My biggest question is if I should leave the baffles grey or paint them flat black?
I know that on the earlier 4333 models,they were all grey including the baffles.
I really need some input here!!!

HCSGuy
05-08-2011, 10:31 PM
The only large format monitors I'm aware of that had the front baffle left grey were those housed in the C50SM enclosure, which would be mainly 4320's and early 4333's. This is the style cabinet pictured below with the enclosure corners wrapping around the grills. I have never seen a utility grey 43xx in the newer style cabinet like yours that didn't have a black front and rear baffle. I have utility grey 4315's that still have the factory black front baffle. Hope this helps!

subwoof
05-09-2011, 05:10 AM
I have a single 4350 that has original grey baffles + back. Next chance I get I will get the exact cab number ( if it has one ) from the back panel metal tag. The single 4320 cab from the same year is also all grey.

kris90
05-09-2011, 06:26 AM
Hi, Thanks again for the reply's. Like I've stated in my earlier post, I just want to get these as original as possible!!! I'm just curious as to why the front baffle paint was grey to begin
with but then had black painted over the grey. Worst case I'll just do the baffles black
just like the backs.