PDA

View Full Version : Sagging Spider Repair?

adamsapple
05-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Folks i've researched this forum for the issue of sagging spiders and the general consensus has been recone. I have a K130 with a sagging spider and whats weird is that i can raise the cone gently from beneath to the the proper position and when i release it feels more like the surround is snapping back to a sagged position rather than the spider having any effect on the sagging. Is this more of a surround issue? And of coarse is there any recoarse other than a recone? which is, for me, very expensive.

Also, can you recharge the magnet with the cone in place or do you have to remove the cone,spider etc. to recharge a speaker magnet? Thx for any help offered. :o:

edgewound
05-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Folks i've researched this forum for the issue of sagging spiders and the general consensus has been recone. I have a K130 with a sagging spider and whats weird is that i can raise the cone gently from beneath to the the proper position and when i release it feels more like the surround is snapping back to a sagged position rather than the spider having any effect on the sagging. Is this more of a surround issue? And of coarse is there any recoarse other than a recone? which is, for me, very expensive.

Also, can you recharge the magnet with the cone in place or do you have to remove the cone,spider etc. to recharge a speaker magnet? Thx for any help offered. :o:

You can try heating up the spider with a heat gun or blow dryer. The heat will somewhat reactivate the resin in the spider and can often times bring back some "memory" to the original shape. If the driver was well pounded on with lots of low end the fabric itself might be stretched to the point of disrepair.

But....It's worth a shot. Might do some good.

tom1356
05-07-2011, 12:00 PM
If that doesn't work. Dilute some Aleene's Original Tacky Glue with a little water.
You want a wash you can paint on the spider. Use a cloth between cone and basket to hold the cone in the right position till it dries. It will probably need a second coat.

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/alortacglu.html

edgewound
05-07-2011, 12:43 PM
If that doesn't work. Dilute some Aleene's Original Tacky Glue with a little water.
You want a wash you can paint on the spider. Use a cloth between cone and basket to hold the cone in the right position till it dries. It will probably need a second coat.

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/alortacglu.html

Not to be a stick-in-the-mud or anything....but Aleen's is a water based PVA that will seal the spider trapping heat and adding too much weight in the process...killing any frequency response and sensitivity that might be available from the beaten-up speaker.

The spider is molded cloth with a solvent based resin.

adamsapple
05-07-2011, 03:01 PM
thx for help. will give the hair dryer to spider treatment a go a see what happens. :)

herki the cat
05-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Not to be a stick-in-the-mud or anything....but Aleen's is a water based PVA that will seal the spider trapping heat and adding too much weight in the process...killing any frequency response and sensitivity that might be available from the beaten-up speaker.

The spider is molded cloth with a solvent based resin.

Mr. edgewound;312796, Quick Question: Is it safe to soften the spider solvent based resin with MEK or Toluene and then hold the diaphagm assembly in a neutral centered position while the resin resets__ and then perhaps attempt to suck out any trapped solvent vapors from behind the wet spider __ How would you do this?

Regards herki the cat

herki the cat
05-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Mr. edgewound;312796, Quick Question: Is it safe to soften the spider solvent based resin with MEK or Toluene and then hold the diaphagm assembly in a neutral centered position while the resin resets__ and then perhaps attempt to suck out any trapped solvent vapors from behind the wet spider __ How would you do this?

Regards herki the cat

USE EXTREME CAUTION WITH MEK SOLVENTS __ MEK and other solvents will instanly melt the foam edge of low frequency cone drivers plus the foam plug used by JBL within the magnetic pole piece core of the voice coil. In old drivers this poly urethane plug can be found already in a liquid state and in many cases already flowing into the voice coil gap.

cheers, herki