PDA

View Full Version : Recone Needed?

Triumph Don
04-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Bought another pair of L100T's to clean up and flip. One of the 2214's just needed foam, the other has rotted foam and a spider completely unattached. Bought a NOS cone kit that is so NOS it needs foam. So, should I try to re glue the old spider and refoam, or take my chances and and try my skill at a recone after I refoam the NOS kit?

brutal
05-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Bought another pair of L100T's to clean up and flip. One of the 2214's just needed foam, the other has rotted foam and a spider completely unattached. Bought a NOS cone kit that is so NOS it needs foam. So, should I try to re glue the old spider and refoam, or take my chances and and try my skill at a recone after I refoam the NOS kit?

JBL recones aren't that hard to do. There should be a clear plastic VC shim included. If the foam has rotted, the Moyen glue tube is probably a rock by now. I've had success using Pliobond industrial contact cement, available at any hardware store, on the spider either way you go. Rick Cobb's glue can be used to secure the dustcap as well as the surround.

Not sure I would trust the detached spider unit but you do have the NOS kit to back you up. If you end up using the NOS kit, attach a new surround to the cone a day before you start in on it.