PDA

View Full Version : Jbl asb 6128

RJ64
04-26-2011, 03:08 AM
Hello, Looking for some info/feedback regarding the JBL ASB6128. A little background -

I wanted something to cover about 40-200Hz for various forms of electronic music. I looked at lots of options, everything from custom built cabinets with 18 sound/B&C 21/18" drivers (forgot the exact model numbers) to EAW,Turbosound etc to DIY stuff like BFM designs. The point was the sound/feel I am after, not where it came from or with what sticker. I poured over the T/S specs of a lot of drivers and narrowed it down to 2 drivers. One of them was the JBL 2242H. Low Le,good (BL*BL/Re) to Mms ratio, relatively low Qes. I should point out I am not an expert (which is the reason I am posting) but it sounds like a good driver for my needs and the frequency response charts look fine. I also searched google and found a few posts regarding the 2242H on various web sites. All in all the 2242H looks very promising and I am more or less ready to jump in.

Now the reason I post is because I was wondering if anyone has experience with these and could tell me how they *sound* in my intended range (40-200, maybe 300Hz) given that it is for electronic music (some movies as well). I know they will kick my chest and will have plenty of output. People have already said that the 4645C sounds great, I assume this is the same but before I plonk down a good bit of cash it doesn't hurt to get some confirmation. Thank you!

Don Mascali
04-26-2011, 05:44 AM
I have two of the 4645C cabinets in my HT/Music system. They are practically indestructible in the non-commercial environment. I also have two 2245H in 11 sq ft cabinets. They are slightly better but can't handle the abuse...

The 4645C can make their presence known with enough power. I use a Yamaha Pro Sound P7000 @ 700 watts per channel @ 8 ohms. They have no fan until the heat sinks heat up pretty well, making them suitably quiet for HT. I've never heard the fans kick on.

The best way to describe the impact is that I can feel the thump in the chest and the breeze from them tickles my beard when they really get going during explosions on screen and such stuff.

Here is a link for them @ $830.40, I don't know about shipping and handling. I paid under $700 each for mine, but that has been several years ago.

http://www.collectiveproaudio.com/product_p/560.htm

Go luck and good listening,

Don M

opimax
04-26-2011, 06:26 AM
on sale at Amazon @$695

Mark

hjames
04-26-2011, 07:55 AM
on sale at Amazon @$695

Mark

What, no link??
What kinda Geekoid ARE you?
you used to be a lot more fun ...:crying:

RJ64
04-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Anymore thoughts? Anyone who may have actually heard this particular sub?

hmolwitz
04-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Is this a PA application, home or studio? How large is the room?
What are your limitations? Size, visual appeal, output level?
They are great drivers within that output range. The reply for the 4645C is the same driver in a larger box giving better low frequency response.

Harry

RJ64
04-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Is this a PA application, home or studio? How large is the room?
What are your limitations? Size, visual appeal, output level?
They are great drivers within that output range. The reply for the 4645C is the same driver in a larger box giving better low frequency response.

Harry

These are for home use. The room is about 1400 cubic feet. The visual appeal isn't very important, any properly finished PA style box will do. The size on the sub I mentioned would be about how large I would go. I want duals so as to minimize localization above 100Hz. 140db + is what the system needs to be capable of. Since I only need response down to about 40Hz the larger box/lower tuning of the 4645C is not really needed and the larger box makes it problematic for achieving 140db levels as 4 would be needed. Yes I know 140db is very loud, please indulge me.

Eaulive
04-28-2011, 05:48 AM
140db + is what the system needs to be capable of

:blink::jawdrop::dont-know:

You don't value your hearing?

RJ64
04-28-2011, 07:04 AM
:blink::jawdrop::dont-know:

You don't value your hearing?

Of course I do. Just because it will be capable does not mean I will be running at those levels all the time. The system is more of a permanent mid bass solution. A lot of people enjoy the hobby of the equipment itself and while I do like the "cool toys" I would much rather assemble a great system and just sit back and enjoy. I don't want to be changing it or adding to it all the time. I estimate that a system with 140db capability is the end goal (in the specified bandwidth) because I *love* mid bass. I hope that offers some perspective. I should note I don't want that kind of capability above 200-300Hz.

Eaulive
04-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Of course I do. Just because it will be capable does not mean I will be running at those levels all the time. The system is more of a permanent mid bass solution. A lot of people enjoy the hobby of the equipment itself and while I do like the "cool toys" I would much rather assemble a great system and just sit back and enjoy. I don't want to be changing it or adding to it all the time. I estimate that a system with 140db capability is the end goal (in the specified bandwidth) because I *love* mid bass. I hope that offers some perspective. I should note I don't want that kind of capability above 200-300Hz.
Well, with one 6128 you reach 140 dB but this is calculated, and at 9600W power.
Remember this is at 1m.

If you want to have 140dB at your listening position I recommend four 6118 and 5kW average.

I don't want to go to your house after. Do you know that the rule of thumb for a rock concert is 105dB in the fars seats? And that you usually don't want to exceed 120dB on a dance floor? Whis is extremely loud.

I think you need to stop listening to the car audio crowd and come back to the real world ;););)

RJ64
04-28-2011, 08:36 AM
Well, with one 6128 you reach 140 dB but this is calculated, and at 9600W power.
Remember this is at 1m.

If you want to have 140dB at your listening position I recommend four 6118 and 5kW average.

I don't want to go to your house after. Do you know that the rule of thumb for a rock concert is 105dB in the fars seats? And that you usually don't want to exceed 120dB on a dance floor? Whis is extremely loud.

I think you need to stop listening to the car audio crowd and come back to the real world ;););)

Haha, No I am not into car audio. My car system is very simple and humble, I spend very little time using that. I say 140db because I already have some JTR T12s and a pair of DTS -10s so I do know what I am asking for. I do max out my T12s and my DTS-10s, of course the sessions at these volumes is brief but there is still a lack (not just in output). I would think that 9600W is probably too much for the dual 2242H drivers, as I recall duals (ASB6128) are rated for 1600W AES , so I would venture a 3200W "program" rating guess to be safe, I have asked the local Harman dealer for recommendations. IMO a Macrotech 12000i or a FP14000 is probably about right running at stereo 4 ohms. Please allow me to stress the importance of mid bass once again. I run it really hot and that is what I like, the system is not flat and the upper ranges are rolled off. The system will have headroom to spare for my intended usage.

Why do you recommend 4 6118s? Placement flexibility and FR smoothing? Or are you referring to the horn? ASH6118.

Eaulive
04-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Why do you recommend 4 6118s? Placement flexibility and FR smoothing? Or are you referring to the horn? ASH6118.

Yes, I was referring to the ASH6118, because in groups of 4 the LF response is extended. But you said you wanted mid bass so I guess the ASB6128 is better.

RJ64
04-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Yes, I was referring to the ASH6118, because in groups of 4 the LF response is extended. But you said you wanted mid bass so I guess the ASB6128 is better.

I agree. I have spent some time looking at the options available for my specific use and horns don't seem to be the order of the day, perhaps a straight mid bass horn but those are hard to come by in a commercially available package. I believe there might be something like this from Klipsch or Funktion One or perhaps even older JBL designs. I am not familiar with the older JBL designs , perhaps those more knowledgeable could chime in.

I was very interested in horns but inherently a horn has lower THD and above bandwidth harmonics and these are the things that add to the *subjective* punch so I choose to go with direct radiating designs since it will offer me more punch. I did consider the ASH6118 among many other horns. It will also not be possible to couple the mouths of 4 ASH6118s in my room.

pos
04-28-2011, 03:23 PM
THD is easy to add electronically afterward if you are into that sort of thing...

Eaulive
04-28-2011, 04:52 PM
I was very interested in horns but inherently a horn has lower THD and above bandwidth harmonics and these are the things that add to the *subjective* punch so I choose to go with direct radiating designs since it will offer me more punch.

If you want mid bass punch and harmonics try some 4530 cabinets loaded with E140. :applaud:

RJ64
04-29-2011, 02:23 AM
How does one add THD electronically?

I am sure there is a certain point beyond which THD doesn't help, I don't know what would be optimum but from what I have read the slight THD offered by most direct radiating designs tend to be fine.

I had a look at the E140, don't know how it sounds but the T/S specs look nice. Looks like an old driver. The limited excursion and power handling would mean I would need a lot of them though.

Eaulive
04-29-2011, 05:22 AM
I had a look at the E140, don't know how it sounds but the T/S specs look nice. Looks like an old driver.
It is an old driver, produced from mid 80s to late 90s. It has a distinctive sound because the coil and spider are slightly off center which gives it a "punchy" character. It was a musical instrument speaker but it found its way successfully in many SR cabinets, like the JBL "cabaret" series

The limited excursion and power handling would mean I would need a lot of them though.
Don't let that fool you, it's very sensitive but it needs a big box, look at the VAS.

Big excursion is not a requisite for bass efficiency.

RJ64
04-29-2011, 06:43 AM
It is an old driver, produced from mid 80s to late 90s. It has a distinctive sound because the coil and spider are slightly off center which gives it a "punchy" character. It was a musical instrument speaker but it found its way successfully in many SR cabinets, like the JBL "cabaret" series

Don't let that fool you, it's very sensitive but it needs a big box, look at the VAS.

Big excursion is not a requisite for bass efficiency.

Sounds like a really interesting driver. Would love to hear them but they are discontinued, aren't they? I didn't mean to sound like they were inefficient, I simply meant that I would need more of them versus something like 2242Hs to achieve similar SPLs due to the limited excursion and power. The excursion helps but at lower frequencies of course.

Vas is large but only slightly larger than the 2242H. It reminded me of this driver -

http://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/precision-transducers/neodymium-low-frequency-transducers/mb15n401

I doubt I will be able to hear or even buy the E140 any time soon. Looks like I will stick to the 2242H. I have a demo lined up but the local dealer told me all he could get was a SRX728, he doesn't have any cabinets with the 2242H nor are they installed anywhere locally.

If anyone has heard this particular box (ASB6128) I would still like to hear your thoughts.

Has anyone posted any detailed impressions of the 2268H vs the 2242H?

Eaulive
04-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Also the E140 is a 15" driver, which is more consistent with you desire of punchy midbass.

RJ64
04-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Are you saying the 2242 is a bad choice because it is an 18"?

I know 15s and 12s are typically recommended for mid bass but the range I need to cover isn't that high, about 200Hz or 300 at the most.

wrager
04-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Have you considered replacing the T12's with 4722's. I have the 4622's with a single DTS-10 and do not lack mid-bass slam.

RJ64
04-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Have you considered replacing the T12's with 4722's. I have the 4622's with a single DTS-10 and do not lack mid-bass slam.

Hello wrager, I did consider upgrading my speakers and the JBL cinema series was included in my search but I ultimately decided that for the maximum impact I want I am best served with a dedicated solution.

Now that you mention it one of the key factors in convincing me the 2242H was a good choice for my needs was the JBL 5742, they use dual 2242HPLs upto 220Hz. They seem to be high end cinema speakers so I would think that the 2242 does a great job in that range, which happens to be the same as my goals.