PDA

View Full Version : L100t3

tesla
04-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Just purchased a pair of these at a local swap meet. Cabs in good shape, everything looks good, except one woofer needs to be refoamed.
But, one of the woofers is also missing the decal on the motor assy that say's, "JBL Professional series Model 2214H-1"
Any chance, (place) I could get a replacement?

Is their a best refoaming kit?

Also, how would you comapre these to my L65's?

HCSGuy
04-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Congratulations on getting one of my favorites! You mention one woofer is missing the decal, which implies the other has one? Post a picture, as I think this is rare. Generally, as part of a factory assembled system, the woofers would have the model stamped on the back of the magnet assembly in white ink, as mine all are. The nice necals were used when the drivers were sold individually through JBL pro dealers (though I didn't know these were available a la carte). There were exceptions to this (all the 250ti's I've seen had the decals on the LE-14H1's, but not on the 108's). There are guys here and on EBay that do reproduce labels, but I've never seen a 2214 decal before, so it may be too expensive to make sense.

Refoam kits are available through Rick Cobb, mailto:[email protected], He also sells on eBay as looneytune2001. If you're not DIY, PM member edgewound here and he can take care of you; don't take them to Orange County Speakers without doing your homework first, and insisting they put the foam on the back of the woofer cone.

I can't comment on your sound comparison, as I've never heard L65's, but I'll be interested to hear what you think. Also, post some pictures so we can see what you got - are they "Walnut" or "Oak"?

tesla
04-24-2011, 11:46 AM
HCS Guy,

Thanks for the reply, I have taken pics of the woofers and one cab.

I will be refoaming myself, and even though, (according to what you have said), the replacement woofer, (with the decal on the back) should be newer, it is the one that needs the refoaming. The apparent original (with no decal) appears to be perfect. I am now torn on refoaming the good one. I have strong DIY tendencies, so I shall be refoaming it myself. Thanks for the recomendation. (I have refoamed my L65's, original Advents and ESS's.) BTW, although it is hard to see from the pictures, the "professional" woofer has a rubber surround installed the magnet of the motor assy.

Oh, does anyone know where I can get some (hopefully) almost original grill cloth? Even though the originals are, (for their age), in pretty good shape, I would like to replace both of them. Oh, and also the paper gaskets used to seal the drivers.

Congratulations on getting one of my favorites! You mention one woofer is missing the decal, which implies the other has one? Post a picture, as I think this is rare. Generally, as part of a factory assembled system, the woofers would have the model stamped on the back of the magnet assembly in white ink, as mine all are. The nice necals were used when the drivers were sold individually through JBL pro dealers (though I didn't know these were available a la carte). There were exceptions to this (all the 250ti's I've seen had the decals on the LE-14H1's, but not on the 108's). There are guys here and on EBay that do reproduce labels, but I've never seen a 2214 decal before, so it may be too expensive to make sense.

Refoam kits are available through Rick Cobb, mailto:[email protected], He also sells on eBay as looneytune2001. If you're not DIY, PM member edgewound here and he can take care of you; don't take them to Orange County Speakers without doing your homework first, and insisting they put the foam on the back of the woofer cone.

I can't comment on your sound comparison, as I've never heard L65's, but I'll be interested to hear what you think. Also, post some pictures so we can see what you got - are they "Walnut" or "Oak"?

wu6fiend
04-24-2011, 11:27 PM
I bought some grill cloth from a company called Speakerworks.com several years ago.

It is a very close match to the original grill cloth on my L100T speakers. It was quite inexpensive (I think I paid less than $10 for enough fabric to do both grills).

jbl_daddy
04-25-2011, 01:18 AM
I have a theory, one of your drivers is not original... just a theory...

tesla
04-25-2011, 07:35 AM
Yes, I agree, someone must have replaced the original with a replacement. the question is, WHY didn't they have the original repaired? I am sure the replacement must have cost a lot more than having the original repaired.

Reminds me of my pair of L65's. In the flush of finding a pair of them for $40, I didn't look at them closely. When I got them home, I realized that the woofers were no-name cheapo's. Guess who went on Ebay?

I have a theory, one of your drivers is not original... just a theory...

hjames
04-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Yes, I agree, someone must have replaced the original with a replacement. the question is, WHY didn't they have the original repaired? I am sure the replacement must have cost a lot more than having the original repaired.

Reminds me of my pair of L65's. In the flush of finding a pair of them for $40, I didn't look at them closely. When I got them home, I realized that the woofers were no-name cheapo's. Guess who went on Ebay?

Some folks don't know there is a proper solution for bad surrounds.
C'mon, we've seen a pair of JBLs where someone installed Cerwin Vega woofers to a JBL system ...
or Tandy (Radio Shack) parts!

Thank goodness your guy put the right driver in!

grumpy
04-25-2011, 09:40 AM
could have been a warranty replacement...
I certainly wouldn't sweat it... it's the right part.

tesla
04-25-2011, 10:16 AM
They could have put any old 12" driver in, and most wouldn't have noticed.

When I pointed out to the guy selling them that the surround was shot on one woofer, he said "ok, I'll let you have the pair for $15" (Instead of $20) Bargains are out there, just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Some folks don't know there is a proper solution for bad surrounds.
C'mon, we've seen a pair of JBLs where someone installed Cerwin Vega woofers to a JBL system ...
or Tandy (Radio Shack) parts!

Thank goodness your guy put the right driver in!

oldsoundz
04-25-2011, 11:16 AM
I gladly paid 100 knowing mine needed surrounds and one woofer cone was busted.

Turned out they also need one tweeter but I am still happy to have gotten them.

They are an excellent speaker. Mine look just like yours.

Hope you enjoy them!

HCSGuy
04-25-2011, 04:05 PM
BTW, your "Veneer" looks to be in really good shape - keep them out of the sun as the T3's fade easily, and we haven't found a solution yet for the Bikini tan - faded everywhere except behind the grill. Search the site for Reconstituted Veneer and you'll get a little more info. You did very well - T3's with that little fading are very rare, and a component 2214 is rarer still, though probably not that valuable.
Enjoy!

BMWCCA
04-25-2011, 05:49 PM
BTW, your "Veneer" looks to be in really good shape - keep them out of the sun as the T3's fade easily, and we haven't found a solution yet for the Bikini tan - faded everywhere except behind the grill.

Maybe you haven't, but most of us have!

Here, try this (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=JBL+Watco).

Eaulive
04-25-2011, 07:41 PM
we haven't found a solution yet for the Bikini tan

Go naked! :applaud:

tesla
04-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments, and I promise to keep the speakers out of the sun! Now, I need to get the surrounds. (Even though I only need one, I bet I have to buy two.) I live somewhat close to OC Speaker, are they to be trusted?

BTW, your "Veneer" looks to be in really good shape - keep them out of the sun as the T3's fade easily, and we haven't found a solution yet for the Bikini tan - faded everywhere except behind the grill. Search the site for Reconstituted Veneer and you'll get a little more info. You did very well - T3's with that little fading are very rare, and a component 2214 is rarer still, though probably not that valuable.
Enjoy!

DavidF
04-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments, and I promise to keep the speakers out of the sun! Now, I need to get the surrounds. (Even though I only need one, I bet I have to buy two.) I live somewhat close to OC Speaker, are they to be trusted?

Mostly yes, and sometimes no. I have sent several drivers down to them. Good turn around, fair prices but once...once.... I got peeved that they installed the surrounds on the front edge of the JBL woofer cone rather than the rear. No I did not issue instructions that this was my preference. Assumption mother of all you know what. Heard out my complaint but then it was too late. Reason stated was that they could not be installed on the rear because removing the prior material would damage the cone. Never know.

I would first put Upland Loudspeaker Service top of my list for your area. Look up Edgewound on this site. He understands without explaining.

HCSGuy
04-26-2011, 10:06 PM
I live somewhat close to OC Speaker, are they to be trusted?I've got 3 LE14H-1's that were all done by them, all with the foam on the front, presumably because the previous owner who took them in did not specify a preference (right or wrong, do you need to state your preference?). If they're really close to you, you're just doing a refoam, and you specify in writing on the work order to do the foam on the back of the cone, you should at least come out with an refoam job as good as you or most of us could do, but there are those who can do better. I have a guy up here who is significantly better than me, so I pay him to do all of mine. If you can, stick with a one man shop - Edgewound in your area, I've got a good guy up here - every job is done the same way by the same hands. The place I used to go had two or three guys that did work on woofers - sometimes it was nice, sometimes the glue was pretty irregular, but you didn't know who did what and can't pick who will work on your stuff. If you're buying foam to DIY, OCS should be fine, but please spend the extra time to drive or ship to Edgewound - I realize the drive's a PIA, but you'll forget the drive; you won't forget a lumpy glue job.

tesla
04-26-2011, 10:12 PM
David,

Thanks for the recomendation. Since I will be doing the refoaming, (and btw, the "behind the cone method is the same as my Advents) I will make sure to do it right. All I really need to know is that the surrounds are the correct ones. Don't want to get ones that are "almost the same."

Mostly yes, and sometimes no. I have sent several drivers down to them. Good turn around, fair prices but once...once.... I got peeved that they installed the surrounds on the front edge of the JBL woofer cone rather than the rear. No I did not issue instructions that this was my preference. Assumption mother of all you know what. Heard out my complaint but then it was too late. Reason stated was that they could not be installed on the rear because removing the prior material would damage the cone. Never know.

I would first put Upland Loudspeaker Service top of my list for your area. Look up Edgewound on this site. He understands without explaining.

DavidF
04-27-2011, 07:09 PM
David,

Thanks for the recomendation. Since I will be doing the refoaming, (and btw, the "behind the cone method is the same as my Advents) I will make sure to do it right. All I really need to know is that the surrounds are the correct ones. Don't want to get ones that are "almost the same."

In that case I recommend Rick Cobb selling on eBay as looneytune2001. Don't be alarmed by the rather odd tag. Send Rick your model number and the diameter of the actual cone. His response is very quick. Many on this website know and use him. I ordered a set for my 128H-1 on Saturday (9 3/8 inches) and received them today. His kits do not inclue the outer gaskets so you should salvage those from the driver.

tesla
05-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Hello,

To recap:

I bought a pair of L100t3's at a swapmeet.

One woofer needed to be refoamed, the other had been refoamed previously. I purchased a refoam kit for one woofer, and finished it today. Got the speakers installed, and they sound good.

However, I noticed something only after completing the refoam.

One woofer has the surround glued to the wrong side of the cone.

After noticing the discprepancy, I removed the woofer that had been previously refoamed, and looked at the back side. I could see what was left of the original foam, so my guess is that the person/business that refoamed it should have removed the old foam on the back of the cone, but took the easy way out, and just glued the foam to the front.

Well, looks like I am refoaming a speaker again.

HCSGuy
05-19-2011, 02:11 PM
If it really bothers you, keep on Ebay for a replacement woofer in good shape, or a recone kit. I've heard you can dissolve the glue using MEK, but if they glued it to the front of the cone, you will not be able to get the front edge to look clean again. You may make it passable from a distance, though. Glad you like the speakers, though!

tesla
05-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Been listening to them after refoaming the one woofer, (and discovering the already-foamed woofer was improperly refoamed.)

There IS some Bikini on the cabs, although only on the front, where the grill resides. Damn. It's not bad though, I can only see it in the indirect daylight from the patio.

Any idea what I should do about it? Perhaps some kind of (tung) oil or varnish? or should I strip the drivers out, and take them to an expert?

Oh, and how do I remove the "L100T3" badge? Is it glued on?

Ok, I can hear the sniggering from here, but I am driving them with a pair of flea-powered Quad II's.

Hey, I live in an apartment, and a total of 30 watts is more than enough!

michigannick
07-25-2020, 02:08 PM
Enjoy! i used howards restore it multiple passes on the veeneer of the L100t3s and it pretty much resolved the issue with bikini tan it was one of the most impressive conversions i have seen