PDA

View Full Version : 250Ti Classics Lost the tweeters again

AdamimAdam
04-21-2011, 06:29 AM
:bouncy:Its been a while since I've been here and I will be donating to the cause. First wow I just love these speakers since 2006. My first pre-amp was a Chiro something or another that made nice sound but no base. Now that I have a Nad, I have perhaps less sound but woooo, allot more bass. A Hafler 500 remains the muscle. The darn tweeters stopped working again. Last time it happened 2009 I had audiotronics of Ch. Hill NJ replace a transister or something another on each network. Recently the tweeters stopped working during a 2 hour mid volume run. No sharp noises or anything they just quit. I'm hoping before I run them back for repair I can get some advice from the community as to what I should suggest the technician look deeper into to find the cause. By the way the Hey Mickie song? The bass in that tune goes places like no other.

jbl_daddy
04-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Have you swapped the tweeter... just to make sure the crossover was ok? I had a problem with one of mine and it was a bad component connection in the amp.

AdamimAdam
04-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Have you swapped the tweeter... just to make sure the crossover was ok? I had a problem with one of mine and it was a bad component connection in the amp.

I will once I get them apart but I assume its the same problem as last time towhereas the tweeters benched just fine.:confused:

AdamimAdam
04-27-2011, 10:05 AM
I will once I get them apart but I assume its the same problem as last time towhereas the tweeters benched just fine.:confused:

:bouncy:All repaired. For the record. 3.9r 5 watt resistor on both networks were toast. I highly recommend Audio-Tronics, very reasonable and fast

badman
04-27-2011, 10:24 AM
:bouncy:All repaired. For the record. 3.9r 5 watt resistor on both networks were toast. I highly recommend Audio-Tronics, very reasonable and fast

Upgraded it to 10W did they? :)

AdamimAdam
04-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Thought about it. Seems like it only happens on freak 3-4 hour high volume play days. Perhaps next time though. Forum willing.

grumpy
04-27-2011, 03:53 PM
If having the resistors blow saves your tweeters, I'd keep replacing the 5 watters
(certainly cheaper to replace) and think about a different, perhaps higher-powered
amp... that may sound counter-intuitive, but if you're clipping now and then, that
(not too much power) could be the culprit.

brutal
04-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Could be excessive DC on the amp outputs also. I'd have that checked unless you're considering swapping in a more powerful amp that stays well below clip levels at high listening levels. Unless you're buying well respected new gear, or have a trust relationship with the used gear seller that it has been benched, be cautious. It's easy enough to check the DC offset at the speaker output terminals of the amp with a multimeter. There's a great sticky in the Vintage Solid State (VSS) forum on AK.

gferrell
04-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Yep, Grumpy and brutal are right. Somethings not right with the input.

Eaulive
04-27-2011, 07:24 PM
I've seen a setup once (commercial distributed audio) where the customer was feeding an amplifier with a cheap Ipod connected with a cheap 1/8 stereo to RCA cable that was defective.
There was a high frequency sine wave going out the amplifier, it was above hearing and below clipping, but was systematically burning resistors in the output filtering stage of the amp.

AdamimAdam
04-28-2011, 06:49 AM
But these 250's with the gold tweeters sure do bring to life this outdated fireplace pit cornered in this outdated 20x30 1970's decor room.