PDA

View Full Version : Preparing baskets before a recone

Lee in Montreal
04-12-2011, 12:49 PM
I just spent a few hours prepping two baskets for a future recone. I did the usual: some acetone to soften the glue and a razor blade to remove the crust. Plus a lot of rubbing and acetone to get a clean and soft surface. Do reconers really spend a full hour doing one basket, or am I missing someting? Sure my baskets were old and dry, but come on. There must a quicker way not involving a wirebrush or a grinder :eek:

Eaulive
04-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Do reconers really spend a full hour doing one basket, or am I missing someting?

Yes, we do, and you're not missing anything.

Make sure the FIRST thing you do after removing the old cone is to put a tape on the gap, so you have less cleaning to do :D
Sometimes the longest part is cleaning the gap however, but yes, it can take an hour.

Did you took upon yourself to recone your "bad" 2225s?
DId you get good recones?

Lee in Montreal
04-12-2011, 01:42 PM
The gap was closed with tape. Don't worry. Actually, I cleaned a third one 30 minutes. I think the first pair had layers of hardened glue. That third unit was easy.

I am not reconing the ones in the 4520s but prepping baskets to accept JBL cones.

I soon as I have the new drivers installed, I will let you know about the akward pair...

Eaulive
04-12-2011, 01:53 PM
The gap was closed with tape. Don't worry. Actually, I cleaned a third one 30 minutes. I think the first pair had layers of hardened glue. That third unit was easy.

I am not reconing the ones in the 4520s but prepping baskets to accept JBL cones.

I soon as I have the new drivers installed, I will let you know about the akward pair...

Yup, let me know, I'm looking for 2 good baskets for Stéphane's 4530.
We tried a 2225 last weekend in one of his 4530 instead of the speakers he had (addison), he hates them now :D

Lee in Montreal
04-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Yup, let me know, I'm looking for 2 good baskets for Stéphane's 4530.

Considering what I paid for the pair 2225h, they will make expensive baskets. :eek:

Eaulive
04-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Considering what I paid for the pair 2225h, they will make expensive baskets. :eek:

And your seller is not responding :crying: