PDA

View Full Version : diy home cinema speakers 5.0

panduro
04-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Hi all,

first post here:), i will appriciate everybode who takes the time to read and maybe answer some of my questions!

I am building a 5.0 surround set for my very small dedicated ht(10feet long, 7 feet wide and 8,5feet high).

it will be driven actively, with three dbx driverack plus and two Carver 5 channel thx amplifiers(5 x 125W) plus and amplifier i havent chosen yet.

Front speakers:

3way max 115Ltr cabinets.
tweeter jbl 276nd
mid jbl 726gs
bass jbl 120h-s1

Centerspeaker:
tweeter: jbl 276nd
mid/bass jbl 726gs x 2

Rear:

tweeter: jbl 046ti-1s
mid/bass: scanspeak 8"

I have build the front speakers. 80ltr bass reflex cabinet and 12ltr sealed midrange cabinet. crossover is at 200hz, 2,36khz all LR 24db filters.
The bass is dry and articulated, just as i like it, the midrange is powerfull but is missing some clarity, its seems like its playing though a thin carpet.
treble is ok, but it seems like i there is a lack off treble from some where around 6-10khz and up.

so here are the questions:

Front speakers
What Crossover points would you recommend, and which type of filter and db slobe?
What is a good size for the midrange enclosure? sealed, open or reflex?
Can i eq the tweeter all the way to 16-20khz or should i add a dome tweeter to the speakers?

rear speakers
what is a good crossover point for the tweeter?

best regards

panduro

Ruediger
04-11-2011, 02:28 AM
The lowest room modes (resonances) will be quite high in frequency, and the mode density will be low. This means that You will hear pronounced room resonances, unless You treat that room very heavily.

ruediger

panduro
04-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Hi Ruediger,

thanks for your answer!

you are right, my room could hardly be worse, but its what i got the work with.

my room is heavily treated, walls and ceilling is covered in drape cloth, the floor(and 1,5feet up the sidewalls) is covered with a thick old eastern blanket with 120.000knuts pr square meter. thats proberly also why i feel that the tweeter is missing a bit of sparkle.(living room with stereo is minimalistic decorated and has lively acoustic).

my pre-amp the onkyo pr-sc5500 helps a bit though and my dbx's real time analyser also "knows" a trick or two.

but it still needs a lot of work.

best regards

panduro