PDA

View Full Version : Marantz AV7005 for HT

maxwedge
04-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Thinking of buying one, really.:)
Going to be retiring my Yamaha RX-661 which has been a great bang for the buck jobie but it means I'm going to have to drag 4 more Haflers out of the closet for awhile!:D It's only a preamp, with balanced outs...:bouncy:
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVSeparates&ProductId=AV7005

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/maxwedge572/Audio/AV7005FRONT.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/maxwedge572/Audio/AV7005REAR.jpg

jbl_daddy
04-09-2011, 05:31 AM
That is the same unit I have been looking at to replace my B&K 50, the balanced outputs are a must for me. I want the 1.4 hdmi switching.

maxwedge
04-09-2011, 06:23 AM
Big thread at AV forums on it. I think I may go see if I can check one out this weekend.

Mr. Widget
04-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Thinking of buying one, really.:)I haven't used one myself... yet, but I think it would be an excellent choice. Everything I have read about it leads me to think the designers made all of the right choices on this one.

Widget

jbl_daddy
04-09-2011, 04:57 PM
What av forum would you recommend...

JBL 4645
04-09-2011, 05:53 PM
The Marantz AV8003 has THX including a fully working kitchen sink. well maybe not the sink then.:p I gather this model is less at (buy now) US $1,599.00 / £975.95

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Marantz-AV8003-Networking-A-V-Preamp-Processo-r-/370498109807?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564368816f#ht_2472wt_902

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/AV8003_Large_Back.jpg

It has a few more extra optical/coaxial inputs. I don’t think it has HL HR WL WR what is that some type of advanced digital matrix to extract centre phantom from the left/right front because that’s how it seems to me.

maxwedge
04-09-2011, 06:17 PM
What av forum would you recommend...
Sorry, I should have put a link up.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1266725

maxwedge
04-09-2011, 06:44 PM
The Marantz AV8003 has THX including a fully working kitchen sink. well maybe not the sink then.:p I gather this model is less at (buy now) US $1,599.00 / £975.95

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Marantz-AV8003-Networking-A-V-Preamp-Processo-r-/370498109807?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564368816f#ht_2472wt_902

It has a few more extra optical/coaxial inputs. I don’t think it has HL HR WL WR what is that some type of advanced digital matrix to extract centre phantom from the left/right front because that’s how it seems to me.

I believe that that is an older model and is hdmi 1.3 spec. The 7005 is hdmi 1.4 spec for 3d usage. I have some studying to do.:)

Edit: As far as I can tell so far, the AV8003 came out mid 2008.

HCSGuy
04-09-2011, 06:50 PM
I've tried two of them with very limited success. If you search AVS forum, you'll see complaints about hum are not uncommon and it can be hard to abate - especially if you are using balanced connections. We had one system (Lexicon MC12/Genelec powered monitors) that was nice and quiet, put in the Marantz and got unlivable amounts of hum, with nothing else changed (yes, they both use the same pin configuration on the XLR's). I think the AVS forumites have ended up clipping the ground on the XLR's to solve this. We replaced it with a Denon AVP-A1HDCI, and were greeted with absolute quiet background and fabulous sound quality - I cannot make a judgement between them as the Marantz was unusable, but the Denon is really impressive. We tried another AV7005 in a system replacing a Denon receiver that had been used as a preamp, all unbalanced. Still hum, though very faint. It definitely was an upgrade, but we have to go back this week and try lifting grounds and testing with isolation transformers. FYI, the Lexicon was a grounded (3 prong power) design, while the Marantz and Denon are both 2-prong.

However, the AV7005 is a huge, gargantuan, moon shot ahead of the AVR-8003, which we only did one of and gave up - it worked and sounded like an $800 receiver.

In the $1500 price range, if you don't need balanced outputs, my favorite "preamp" is a Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver.

Sorry for not being so nice - if you have one and it sounds great, you're in like Flynn - I have to believe it sounded good for them to OK production on it, just we have had no luck so far :(

JBL 4645
04-09-2011, 06:51 PM
I believe that that is an older model and is hdmi 1.3 spec. The 7005 is hdmi 1.4 spec for 3d usage. I have some studying to do.:)

I’d say so. Let your fingers do the Googling.:D Look for answers and ask questions about those answers before committing yourself into handing over half serious money for the item.

You want to get at least 10 years out of it because I doubt their would anything new encoding wise Dolby 8.1 or 9.1 10.1 or Dolby 16channels for many years to come. At the moment its ether Dolby 5.1 or 7.1.

maxwedge
04-09-2011, 07:20 PM
I've tried two of them with very limited success. If you search AVS forum, you'll see complaints about hum are not uncommon and it can be hard to abate - especially if you are using balanced connections. We had one system (Lexicon MC12/Genelec powered monitors) that was nice and quiet, put in the Marantz and got unlivable amounts of hum, with nothing else changed (yes, they both use the same pin configuration on the XLR's). I think the AVS forumites have ended up clipping the ground on the XLR's to solve this. We replaced it with a Denon AVP-A1HDCI, and were greeted with absolute quiet background and fabulous sound quality - I cannot make a judgement between them as the Marantz was unusable, but the Denon is really impressive. We tried another AV7005 in a system replacing a Denon receiver that had been used as a preamp, all unbalanced. Still hum, though very faint. It definitely was an upgrade, but we have to go back this week and try lifting grounds and testing with isolation transformers. FYI, the Lexicon was a grounded (3 prong power) design, while the Marantz and Denon are both 2-prong.

However, the AV7005 is a huge, gargantuan, moon shot ahead of the AVR-8003, which we only did one of and gave up - it worked and sounded like an $800 receiver.

In the $1500 price range, if you don't need balanced outputs, my favorite "preamp" is a Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver.

Sorry for not being so nice - if you have one and it sounds great, you're in like Flynn - I have to believe it sounded good for them to OK production on it, just we have had no luck so far :(

Hmmm....Hum not good. How is the ac ground that you use? All of my gear connects to one group of outlets that have a dedicated ground stake outside and not anywhere the main house ac. You obviously proved that the problem was with the Marantz by swapping in that Denon. That Denon is way over my price range though!:blink: Looks very nice!

PS: It sounds like you know what you are doing.

I was looking at getting the Yamaha RX-A3000 before I found the Marantz.

jbl_daddy
04-10-2011, 07:13 AM
I had a humm problem with my Sony 9000, went balanced outputs and changed the preamp to the B&K 50 about five years ago and life is good. The B&K will do 7.1 I just want to change, I do not really have a good reason. The problem is I read the article in stereo review on the marantz and said to myself isn't it time for something new in the rack. Sounding stupid now that I think about it...

JBL 4645
04-10-2011, 08:01 AM
I’m still running a Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select that is 11 years old now. I only use it as a processor for separates.

I run a Sony BDP-S550 Dolby 8channel so how is it can still listen to Dolby 7.1 on an AVR that only has 6 RCA phone inputs? shhh secret! No its overlooking the problem and solving it out.

I’d like to have a new AVR that supports DolbyTrueHD, dtshdmasteraudio not that I care for dtshd sigh!

THX ultra would be preferable, as well as Dolby volume, Audessey and that seems to have negative views as most 90% say it sucks the bass life out of the room! They must be doing something wrong?

My budget would be no higher than £800.00 for new AVR or a reconditioned AVR at far lesser price.

I could then easily turn the 4 as people call “4 zones” four stereo surround channels into 9 channels of excitement its all in the stereo centre phantom if you’re listening!

As for Dolby 7.1 I bet £10.00pounds there are far lesser 20 cinema only releases for this year! Its like Sony’s SDDS 8 all over again and their last title was Surf’s Up 2007. What a waste of format nearly 97% SDDS6 and only 3% SDDS8 titles and Sony is still to tight ass to share SDDS with the home cinema marketplace.

maxwedge
04-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Went into my local Magnolia Home Theater department of Best Buy and asked if they had any. Had one for $1599! WTF, $1499 is msrp! I said no thanks mostly because I wasn't quite planning on picking one up yet because I'll have a lot of rearranging to do.

PS: I asked about the hum issue and they hadn't heard anything.

HCSGuy
04-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Just make sure you get it somewhere with a great return policy, which usually isn't the place with the best price, though above MSRP is a little excessive:D

JBL 4645
04-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Just make sure you get it somewhere with a great return policy, which usually isn't the place with the best price, though above MSRP is a little excessive:D

And just make sure you don’t buy the Harman because the models of today, breakdown! :D

jbl_daddy
04-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Magnolia will price match, that is how I purchased my Mitsubishi bc1600 projector.

maxwedge
04-15-2011, 06:29 PM
I'll have one on Tuesday but set up and testing will be limited for awhile because my work week starts Wednesday.:):(

So it will be a quick it plug up and play with the remote for a few days!:blink:

maxwedge
04-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Very nice unit and much superior to my Yamaha RX-V661.:bouncy: Thanks again Widget man!:coolness:

I have a rough setup right now due to work obligations but I hope to get it fine tuned this weekend and I'm also having amp issues so I'm only doing 5.1, until I get one of my rear amps fixed up, damn Haflers!:p
PS: No hum, with the Marantz at least!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/maxwedge572/Music%20Gear/My%20Sound%20System/DSC09588.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/maxwedge572/Music%20Gear/My%20Sound%20System/DSC09591.jpg

Uncle Paul
04-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Sweet setup. I'm interested to hear what the two channel sound quality is like.

maxwedge
04-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Sweet setup. I'm interested to hear what the two channel sound quality is like.
Thank you.
Sweet except for the particle board.:o: It was supposed to be temporary but now it's going on about 3-4 years like that. I'm hope to re-due my rack setup this year with some nice wood.

I have to get my 'Big System' connected to the Marantz to properly evaluate two channel but if it's anything like it's surround settings it should be nice.

I have to explain. I have 2 systems in my living room, the HT speakers that are all Polk (except for the sub1500s) and the big system that is all pro audio, run off of a mixing board in the back of the room connected to my pc with a firewire interface. The problem with listening to 2 channel with my Polks is that the front L&R are cheap Polks and the center and 4 rear surrounds are really nice ones. The L&R lack a lot of top end.

To get my big system connected I need to run balanced out from the Marantz back to the crossover in the back of the room, but then I need a patch panel so I can switch back to the L&R Polks easily.

Also my pc interface has coax and optical out so I can connect one of those to the Marantz for an audio channel and my pc is in the back of the room too, so I think I'll be using coax for that. It's about 40 feet worth.
This is my firewire interface>>>http://www.echoaudio.com//Products/FireWire/AudioFirePre8/index.php

Got a lot to do.:)
I have a pair of long mic cables I'll lay down tomorrow and just connect/disconnect at the Marantz for now.

maxwedge
04-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Running 7.1 now!:)
Got a DH-200 Hafler added to the rear surrounds but I want my 2nd P225 in there but it has some issues on one channel with dc off set, like 200mil amps! Anyway the 200 is doing it's job well.

I also have my 'Big System' now connected by daisy chaining the amp input that runs the Polk L&R to the crossover for the big speakers.

I ran the Audyssey auto setup today and didn't realize it takes the results of 8 listing positions and then comes up with an average sum. Quite amazing and I was wondering when it was going to finish (I haven't read the manual much!). The finial result is quite good.:)

I didn't use Audyessy on the big system because it reports it as out of phase and I tried reversing the phase but he results were the same. My Yamaha did the same thing using it's eq system so I need to investigate this further, but I don't notice any phase problems when blending my big system the the L&R Polks.

As an example of how poor my L&R Polks are, Audyssey assigned a 150hz crossover point to the sub for them where the other Polks are 40hz for the center and 60hz for the rear surrounds. I hope to replace those by the end of the year!:die:

Sound report coming in the next post, I'm watching a movie right now!:p

maxwedge
04-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Very cool!
My house is all hard wired with a router to the outside. This thing connects to the network and I can change settings, selections and setup all from my PC.
A few screen shots...:bouncy:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/maxwedge572/Music%20Gear/My%20Sound%20System/MainPage.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/maxwedge572/Music%20Gear/My%20Sound%20System/ZoneControl.jpg

maxwedge
04-25-2011, 07:05 PM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/maxwedge572/Music%20Gear/My%20Sound%20System/LevelControls.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/maxwedge572/Music%20Gear/My%20Sound%20System/SourceSelect.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/maxwedge572/Music%20Gear/My%20Sound%20System/Status.jpg

JBL 4645
04-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Running 7.1 now!:)
Got a DH-200 Hafler added to the rear surrounds but I want my 2nd P225 in there but it has some issues on one channel with dc off set, like 200mil amps! Anyway the 200 is doing it's job well.

I also have my 'Big System' now connected by daisy chaining the amp input that runs the Polk L&R to the crossover for the big speakers.

I ran the Audyssey auto setup today and didn't realize it takes the results of 8 listing positions and then comes up with an average sum. Quite amazing and I was wondering when it was going to finish (I haven't read the manual much!). The finial result is quite good.:)

I didn't use Audyessy on the big system because it reports it as out of phase and I tried reversing the phase but he results were the same. My Yamaha did the same thing using it's eq system so I need to investigate this further, but I don't notice any phase problems when blending my big system the the L&R Polks.

As an example of how poor my L&R Polks are, Audyssey assigned a 150hz crossover point to the sub for them where the other Polks are 40hz for the center and 60hz for the rear surrounds. I hope to replace those by the end of the year!:die:

Sound report coming in the next post, I'm watching a movie right now!:p

Nice bulky AVP :p It needs its own rack space!

What would McCoy say? Fantastic machine, this Audyssey is no off switch. :D

Maybe the mismatching of the fronts is the issue with negative polarity.

Personally I’d run the EQ manually can it be done does it have 31 or more EQ bands per each output channel?

I’d run pink noise wideband over each LCR LF first while listening to tonal sound aiming for flat response. Then switch off the LF and test the HF LCR for flat response then add LF/HF and look at RTA for each channel and make what ever tiny adjustments between where LF and HF sum up or maybe one is wired incorrectly?

I can see the room is small and the TV ruins the centre channel sound because its not easy to place a matching loudspeaker in for centre! The TV would have to go where? On top of the centre no it would look silly! On the floor in front of the bass mid making the sound muffled?

See my point! I use small CRT and smaller bookshelf JBL that fits in neatly and when I drop the bed sheet down in front of them the sound and image becomes one seamless whole rather than looking at the loudspeakers or the TV.

I think you need smaller compact matching bookshelf JBL and subs assigned to work with each channel to give the impression the lows are coming from the smaller JBL.

Lower the height of the TV easy! Cut a hole in the floor to sink it into the floor so the image is at seated height.

Magnetically shielded control 10 are neat and x3 would fill in good sound with arrays of smaller surrounds JBL control 5 would be well suited along the walls and rear wall.

Oh, maybe time delay would help bring one of the channels into phase? I’d test though each channel one at time with RTA or SPL db metre with wideband pink noise and look for increase in level if the level doesn’t increase one of the channels is wired incorrectly?

Check each LF MF and HF one at time so they add up rather than decreasing the sound.

Did you really enjoy Tron Legacy? I thought it sucked thinking back now. Not as good Dolby film mix on Tron.

Uncle Paul
04-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Nice bulky AVP :p It needs its own rack space!

What would McCoy say? Fantastic machine, this Audyssey is no off switch. :D

Personally I’d run the EQ manually can it be done does it have 31 or more EQ bands per each output channel?

I’d run pink noise wideband over each LCR LF first while listening to tonal sound aiming for flat response. Then switch off the LF and test the HF LCR for flat response then add LF/HF and look at RTA for each channel and make what ever tiny adjustments between where LF and HF sum up or maybe one is wired incorrectly?

I can see the room is small and the TV ruins the centre channel sound because its not easy to place a matching loudspeaker in for centre! The TV would have to go where? On top of the centre no it would look silly! On the floor in front of the bass mid making the sound muffled?

See my point! I use small CRT and smaller bookshelf JBL that fits in neatly and when I drop the bed sheet down in front of them the sound and image becomes one seamless whole rather than looking at the loudspeakers or the TV.

I think you need smaller compact matching bookshelf JBL and subs assigned to work with each channel to give the impression the lows are coming from the smaller JBL.

Lower the height of the TV easy! Cut a hole in the floor to sink it into the floor so the image is at seated height.

Magnetically shielded control 10 are neat and x3 would fill in good sound with arrays of smaller surrounds JBL control 5 would be well suited along the walls and rear wall.

Oh, maybe time delay would help bring one of the channels into phase? I’d test though each channel one at time with RTA or SPL db metre with wideband pink noise and look for increase in level if the level doesn’t increase one of the channels is wired incorrectly?

Check each LF MF and HF one at time so they add up rather than decreasing the sound.

Did you really enjoy Tron Legacy? I thought it sucked thinking back now. Not as good Dolby film mix on Tron.

I dunno... I think I could live with it

JBL 4645
04-28-2011, 07:59 PM

Can you? I couldn’t sound comes first before picture! Picture is easy to set-up. Sound is far more complex and takes days if not weeks to set-up probably.

Uncle Paul
04-29-2011, 11:42 AM
As the wise man said "It's all about compromises". You may make your choices and I will make mine, and we can both be happy.

JBL 4645
04-29-2011, 12:54 PM
As the wise man said "It's all about compromises". You may make your choices and I will make mine, and we can both be happy.

I'll go along with that for now.

I guess max will get it all sussed out before the end of next month.

maxwedge
04-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Nice bulky AVP It needs its own rack space!
I'm out of space but I'm hoping to redo my racks this summer. The new racks may be kind of radical and room specific.

What would McCoy say? Fantastic machine, this Audyssey is no off switch.
I give it an A+ for the $ spent, for 7.1. For two channel??? Maybe an A for stereo use for the reason that it's great at muti-channel and is good at stereo too, just because I was able to get equal or even better quality stereo running my large system with my Mackie mixing board. I think if someone is more interested in 2 channel then maybe a dedicated stereo pre may be better but don't get me wrong, it's a very nice unit.:)

The plan has never been to run them together. The small speakers were only put into use so that the wife only has to push a few buttons. At this point she has to push/switch 5 things on to get the tv going, it used to be 3 until I went separates.

Anyway the phase problem when I Audyessy each L&R systems separately is not there, only when combined and then it's only with the left side. I'm sure the problem is with my big system but haven't found it yet.

It has one nine band graphic eq per channel. You can't change it unless you defeat Audyssey but you have 3 options for it in Audyssey: The Audyssey curve, Audyssey Flat and L&R defeat. I haven't messed with these much but I like the 1st best so far but I think I'm going to have to play with #3 some!

I pinked my big speakers and they are as flat as I care to get them and they have 31 band analog eq for each.

Whatever

I like looking at my speakers:p

Don't care, I'm happy with what I have and it will only improve as time goes on.:)

Whatever again.:(

You can keep those all to yourself. As the saying goes, to each his own!:(

As I said before, this is two systems in one room. I just bought some cheap L&R book shelf speakers to fill the gap for awhile. When I have the time, I will get the phase sorted out between the two.

I liked it and the sound was excellent over here.
Guess you need a new decoder that does DTS-HD Master 7.1!:p:p:p:dont-know:

maxwedge
04-29-2011, 09:16 PM
This Marantz is pretty darn nice.

Mr. Widget
04-29-2011, 09:49 PM
It has one nine band graphic eq per channel. You can't change it unless you defeat Audyssey but you have 3 options for it in Audyssey: The Audyssey curve, Audyssey Flat and L&R defeat. I haven't messed with these much but I like the 1st best so far but I think I'm going to have to play with #3 some!There is also Audyssey Pro where you have infinite control, but it will cost you a few bucks for the license key and a couple of Guinness beers for the operator. :D

As for two-channel, I think it was quite competent... not state of the art, but then it doesn't cost a ton of money either and it does do just everything you could ever want! I was impressed with it.

Widget

maxwedge
04-30-2011, 08:22 AM
There is also Audyssey Pro where you have infinite control, but it will cost you a few bucks for the license key and a couple of Guinness beers for the operator. :D

As for two-channel, I think it was quite competent... not state of the art, but then it doesn't cost a ton of money either and it does do just everything you could ever want! I was impressed with it.

Widget
How's about Guinness and BQ? Maybe next week end?:D

JBL 4645
04-30-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm out of space but I'm hoping to redo my racks this summer. The new racks may be kind of radical and room specific.

Anyway the phase problem when I Audyessy each L&R systems separately is not there, only when combined and then it's only with the left side. I'm sure the problem is with my big system but haven't found it yet.

It has one nine band graphic eq per channel. You can't change it unless you defeat Audyssey but you have 3 options for it in Audyssey: The Audyssey curve, Audyssey Flat and L&R defeat. I haven't messed with these much but I like the 1st best so far but I think I'm going to have to play with #3 some!

The rack space that you are :D your gonna need a bigger rack!

As to the phase issue I’m willing to bet its internal in the AVP as mine does the same when summing or merging the LCRS with LFE.1 one of the output channels surrounds slightly canales along centre and so I say stuff THX 80Hz they can cram it up their ass because it doesn’t serve well with discrete film mixes it messes it right up.

Its okay with Dolby Stereo 4.2.4 matrix I noticed this years ago before I joined the forum. Use separates to handle the bass management and sum them together independently and make small trims while observing the RTA or SPL home THX is cheap cut around corners to make people like myself thinking I’m at the EMPIRE back in 1989 the pro THX handles it way different from the home version.

Even THX re-eq is annoying you have listen with only the surrounds turned on switch the fronts LCR off and listen you’ll hear right surround sounding like someone is using a handsaw in the living room and its really distracting! You don’t get that nonsense in the cinema!

I tend to keep THX turned off now and trim the LCRS to curve downwards or set flat and use the HP filter on the EQ to cut back if its really toppy home THX can’t cut back if its over bright its prefixed and prefixed sucks because we have no user control what so ever.

Its good for badge :p Personally I’d prefer the pro THX over home THX.Yes my Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select is past sale-date but still running after almost 12 years use.

I’ll be looking for an Onkyo AVR with all the pre-output channels as and when the time, comes around I was close to getting a new AVR a few years ago.

Anyway you have some extra fiddling around. Oh we have same film Tron Legacy only different sound system. I seen how low it goes on spectrum lab the JBL handle it well on the first night the floor vibrated silly in few moments of the disc fighting contest that lead on to light-cycles. LFE.1 handled well and only came in as and when on the mix. Mostly it was lows over LCRS that was active.

So did you buy the box set or single disc?

maxwedge
04-30-2011, 07:51 PM
1st a refresh for those that don't know my speakers:
2245's in 9cf box tuned to ~28hz, 2206 mid bass in 1.5 cf sealed box and 2445's with 2385 (60 deg) horns. The compression drivers have the Truextent Beryllium diaphragms and the crossover is active with 24db slopes at 200hz, and 630hz.
The Marantz low-Z out goes into a pair Rane GE30 60mm slider 31 band eq and then into the Rane AC24 digital x-over with cd horn boost starting around 6-7k.
Lately I had been applying minimal eq and just trying to get the levels of the drivers set for a balanced sound and I found that I was enjoying that better than trying to eq flat with the rta.

Ok, so that had been sounding really killer through my mixing board.:)

Using Audyssey, it applies a 5db cut at 2k and 4k, a 3db cut at 8k and a 2db boost at 16k. The bottom end is pretty flat except for a 5db cut at 63hz for my left side and I'm sure that is because it is against a wall.
Audyssey flat cuts 2db at 2k, 4db at 4k, 2db at 8k and a big boost of 4-5db at 16k.

So I was listening to all three and I clearly prefer the L&R defeat setting for these speakers. The Audyssey curve sounds fairly muffled and the flat curve is a bit better but still drab to me.

L&R defeat is it is until mr widget comes by to apply his magic pro curves.
It sounds Killer like this again.:bouncy:

And JBL 4645, the L&R book shelves were off during all this!;)

Mr. Widget
04-30-2011, 10:38 PM
1st a refresh for those that don't know my speakers:
2245's in 9cf box tuned to ~28hz, 2206 mid bass in 1.5 cf sealed box and 2445's with 2385 (60 deg) horns. The compression drivers have the Truextent Beryllium diaphragms and the crossover is active with 24db slopes at 200hz, and 630hz. Sounds like a potentially awesome system!

Using Audyssey, it applies a 5db cut at 2k and 4k, a 3db cut at 8k and a 2db boost at 16k. The bottom end is pretty flat except for a 5db cut at 63hz for my left side and I'm sure that is because it is against a wall.

Audyssey flat cuts 2db at 2k, 4db at 4k, 2db at 8k and a big boost of 4-5db at 16k. The standard Audyssey curves are all based on movie soundtracks and are typically not ideal for a basic music system... that said, you may have gotten used to a bit of mid emphasis that isn't exactly neutral.

We'll have to do a bit of exploration to see what is going on. I am not sure I can commit to next weekend, but when I make it out there I'll bring CLIO along and see what you are normally listening to to give us a baseline. With the newer versions of Audyssey, if we determine that a narrow or broad peak here or there is most desirable to you we can implement that and still have all of the phase and time correction that Audyssey can provide.

Shoot me a PM during the week and let's talk about scheduling a get together.

Widget

JBL 4645
05-01-2011, 05:48 AM
Hey why not quiz audyssey by sending them a few questions online?

http://ask.audyssey.com/entries/105628-multeq-pro-vs-multeq-xt-and-multeq-xt32

There is also Audyssey Pro where you have infinite control, but it will cost you a few bucks for the license key and a couple of Guinness beers for the operator. :D

Widget
I think he means this product...below

This audyssey costs $5grand! SIGH! I think you’ll have to knock off a few 7/11 shops to get the $5k! :D 8chanel inputs and outputs. One thing the product is holding out on is how many EQ bands does it supply per single output!
http://media.audiojunkies.com/Audyssey-equalizer-multeq-mult-eq-xt-Laboratories-room-correction-surround-sound-receiver.jpg
http://media.audiojunkies.com/Audyssey-equalizer-multeq-mult-eq-xt-Laboratories-room-correction-surround-sound-receiver-2.jpg

hjames
05-01-2011, 06:26 AM

I think he means this product...

Nope, he doesn't mean that hardware - he means the pro software ...
My Integra can run it also, but its supposed to be unlocked by a certified dealer/tech only, its not available to casual owners of the gear that runs the Audyssey software otherwise.

From one of the online HT Audio forums:

"I sell Denon, Onkyo, Integra, Harman Kardon; and at the last Denon training they explained that Audyssey Pro is for making more revenue at the dealer level. First, you need the Audyssey pro software and microphone $350.00 dealer cost (I only list dealer cost because the mic and software are not available for consumers to buy, does not matter how much you beg your dealer, next step: purchase key to unlock Audyssey Pro $125.00 (these are specific keys for serial number of unit being calibrated) labor cost: 2 hours @$95.00 hour at the store I work at. Oh, and again, Audyssey Pro is can only be accessed by an authorized dealer/installer!!!!!"

JBL 4645
05-01-2011, 08:51 AM
My Integra can run it also, but its supposed to be unlocked by a certified dealer/tech only, its not available to casual owners of the gear that runs the Audyssey software otherwise.

"I sell Denon, Onkyo, Integra, Harman Kardon; and at the last Denon training they explained that Audyssey Pro is for making more revenue at the dealer level. First, you need the Audyssey pro software and microphone $350.00 dealer cost (I only list dealer cost because the mic and software are not available for consumers to buy, does not matter how much you beg your dealer, next step: purchase key to unlock Audyssey Pro $125.00 (these are specific keys for serial number of unit being calibrated) labor cost: 2 hours @$95.00 hour at the store I work at. Oh, and again, Audyssey Pro is can only be accessed by an authorized dealer/installer!!!!!"

No wonder they don’t want to share with the other children they’re making a big deal out of it.

Pay this, amount for the golden eq ticket.

No thanks I wouldn't hand those crocks over any money to fund their project! You shell out hundreds on AVR/AVP and they're still greedy for more money! SIGH :banghead:

Mr. Widget
05-01-2011, 09:23 AM
My Integra can run it also, but its supposed to be unlocked by a certified dealer/tech only, its not available to casual owners of the gear that runs the Audyssey software otherwise.Exactly.

"I sell Denon, Onkyo, Integra, Harman Kardon; and at the last Denon training they explained that Audyssey Pro is for making more revenue at the dealer level. First, you need the Audyssey pro software and microphone $350.00 dealer cost (I only list dealer cost because the mic and software are not available for consumers to buy, does not matter how much you beg your dealer, next step: purchase key to unlock Audyssey Pro $125.00 (these are specific keys for serial number of unit being calibrated) labor cost: 2 hours @$95.00 hour at the store I work at. Oh, and again, Audyssey Pro is can only be accessed by an authorized dealer/installer!!!!!"Once again proof that you can not trust all that you read on the internet. Who ever that whining poster was, he doesn't have his facts straight.

First, anyone can buy an Audyssey Pro installation kit. I sold one to a forum member. Audyssey has no issues with such a sale.

Second, the license key costs dealers more than $125.

Then his inference about the fact that only a dealer can set up Audyssey Pro sounds like conspiracy theory. Yes, it is true that only a dealer can sell you a key and set up your system, but we are trained how to use it and very likely know far more about setting up an audio system than the average consumer. The average consumers are the fine people who amaze us regularly with their insightful ads on eBay and with their vast audio knowledge in general. With Audyssey Pro in the hands of a typical consumer they have the potential of damaging their speakers and a great possibility of making the system sound worse after a poor calibration than it did without any.

Is Audyssey Pro worth it? In my experience the better the system and the better the room, the more subtle it's affect. I have used it in some pretty terrible rooms and it has been stunning... the basic Audyssey that does not use the Pro kit and software can be useful, but it is nowhere nearly as powerful as the Pro version. In general I have been very impressed with Audyssey, and in it's current iteration where you can manipulate the room curve to suit your taste, it can be a very powerful tool.

A profit center? Hardly... a useful tool? Often.

Widget

hjames
05-01-2011, 09:27 AM
No wonder they don’t want to share with the other children they’re making a big deal out of it.

Pay this, amount for the golden eq ticket.

No thanks I wouldn't hand those crooks over any money to fund their project!
You shell out hundreds on AVR/AVP and they're still greedy for more money! SIGH :banghead:

Not hundreds, a good AVP/AVR usually goes for above a thousand ...
then again, it sounds better than Rane or Behringer or any of their low-buck "pro" gear ...
Its all what you want to pay for - and some folks have much much deeper pockets than the rest of us,
and prefer a better integrated solution.

There's no need to slam them because that's the choice they made -
just as mounting dozens of Control speakers all over the walls may be your choice ...

maxwedge
05-01-2011, 09:31 AM

I think he means this product...below

This audyssey costs $5grand! SIGH! I think you’ll have to knock off a few 7/11 shops to get the $5k! :D 8chanel inputs and outputs. One thing the product is holding out on is how many EQ bands does it supply per single output!

That Audyssey Pro equalizer is a pretty darn impressive unit there! :bouncy:

I was reading over at the Audyssey website and they suggest all the speakers to be set to small, even if your speakers go full range. I wounder if that applies if you have 18's in your L&R?:D
Their reasoning is because they say that the sub output has much better eq control for LF than the other outputs. I'll give it a whirl but I think it would be better for movies than stereo.

maxwedge
05-01-2011, 09:38 AM
First, anyone can buy an Audyssey Pro installation kit. I sold one to a forum member. Audyssey has no issues with such a sale.
Yeah, I remember reading that at one time. I think in the long run I would want to buy a kit but not for some time.

JBL 4645
05-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Not hundreds, a good AVP/AVR usually goes for above a thousand ...
then again, it sounds better than Rane or Behringer or any of their low-buck "pro" gear ...
Its all what you want to pay for - and some folks have much much deeper pockets than the rest of us,
and prefer a better integrated solution.

There's no need to slam them because that's the choice they made -
just as mounting dozens of Control speakers all over the walls may be your choice ...

No because it looks damn co:cool:ol over dipolar costing hundreds for pair!

If I had several dozens FBQ2496 daisy chinned to make up a single 200 bands per channel though might be more than I would need I could use PEQ for wide to narrow crunching down on the offensive peaks at far less price than $5grand £2993.00 talk about an over-costly toy to EQ the room automatically, that's because most are lazy to do it manually.

JBL 4645
05-01-2011, 09:49 AM
That Audyssey Pro equalizer is a pretty darn impressive unit there! :bouncy:

I was reading over at the Audyssey website and they suggest all the speakers to be set to small, even if your speakers go full range. I wounder if that applies if you have 18's in your L&R?:D
Their reasoning is because they say that the sub output has much better eq control for LF than the other outputs. I'll give it a whirl but I think it would be better for movies than stereo.

You go out and spend $5K and open it up and see what makes it tick, and tell us.:D

I read a few members posts on other sites we’re still having trouble with it. And only few seem to be having success with it.

Mr. Widget
05-01-2011, 09:52 AM
If I had several dozens FBQ2496 daisy chinned to make up a single 200 bands per channel though might be more than I would need I could use PEQ for wide to narrow crunching down on the offensive peaks at far less price than $5grand £2993.00 talk about an over-costly toy to EQ the room automatically, that's because most are lazy to do it manually.Ashley, do us a favor and try not to post when you have no idea what you are talking about... just a thought.

What Audyssey does is far more than simply EQing a speaker system. It adjusts time delay of all kinds, not just simple arrival time, it adjusts phase, and most importantly it uses a very clever algorithm to balance the bass in a room for a wide sweet spot, not a simple center weighted single or multi-mic position measurement.

Widget

JBL 4645
05-01-2011, 10:02 AM
What Audyssey does is far more than simply EQing a speaker system. It adjusts time delay of all kinds, not just simple arrival time, it adjusts phase, and most importantly it uses a very clever algorithm to balance the bass in a room for a wide sweet spot, not a simple center weighted single or multi-mic position measurement.

Widget
Widget
I guess that’s why I read some posts where it says unquote “All my bass is gone”!

Yeah I can adjust for phase time delay even temperature changes in the room.

maxwedge
06-30-2011, 09:30 AM
The word is there's going to be a price increase on the AV7005 of $100 starting July 1st, tomorrow. MSRP will go to $1599.

Mine has been flawless.:)

hjames
06-30-2011, 09:42 AM
The word is there's going to be a price increase on the AV7005 of $100 starting July 1st, tomorrow. MSRP will go to $1599.

Mine has been flawless.:)

Thanks for keeping us informed!

Titanium Dome
06-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Yes, I got an email from Outlaw to that effect a couple of days ago.

maxwedge
06-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks for keeping us informed!
Welcome.

Yes, I got an email from Outlaw to that effect a couple of days ago.
It's a small world, I got my info from them too.

Mr. Widget
07-01-2011, 10:00 PM
On the subject of the AV7005... since it is built in Japan, they have not been available for the past couple of months. A large allotment has just hit the US and some may not be spoken for... most are pre-sold as they were back ordered.

I think they are a fabulous bargain if you are looking for high performance AV Processor.

Widget

maxwedge
07-02-2011, 07:38 PM
On the subject of the AV7005...

I think they are a fabulous bargain if you are looking for high performance AV Processor.

Widget
What he said:yes:

I've had 3 firmware updates since I got it. Don't ask me what for, I suppose I should go look.:p

maxwedge
07-09-2011, 10:17 AM
One word>>FANTASTIC!

I have 3 PCs in the house, my main PC, my server and the kids PC plus a laptop that are all networked. My main PC and laptop are W7 Pro 64 bit. Anyway, all of my cds are ripped to my PC as images, wave and mp3 and using the media server function through the web based control of the AV7005 I get no glitches playing the music in wave form over the network.:) W7 networking is great too, I can play the files from the storage PC to the AV7005 by way of the laptop.

I have my pc connected analog as well but streaming is just as good. Haven't tried any video yet, I'm slow. Haven't even got FM up yet!:p