PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend on your SPL db metre?

JBL 4645
04-06-2011, 03:07 AM
I’ve estimated the cost to be around £24.00 pounds on 9volt ASDA batteries per year.

I use my SPL db metre mostly each day for sort periods the battery can last for around 9 hours before changing it.

I often spend £1.00 on 9volt per fortnight sometimes £2.00 pounds on 9volt batteries per fortnight.

The batteries on the left are being evaluated by Mr. Sooty as good. :D The batteries on the right go into battery container box for recycling, (hence their flat)!

How much do you think, you send on 9volts for the SPL db metre then?

toddalin
04-06-2011, 09:38 AM
I paid $2,600 for my Quest Type 2 and another $600 for the Quest Type 1 calibrator. I couldn't afford the Bruell and Kjaer (started at >$4,500 for their Type 2) at the time.

JBL 4645
04-06-2011, 10:59 AM
I paid $2,600 for my Quest Type 2 and another $600 for the Quest Type 1 calibrator. I couldn't afford the Bruell and Kjaer (started at >$4,500 for their Type 2) at the time.

That’s a lot of money for 9volt battery. I think your was mugged! :D I’m not talking about how much you spent on SPL db metre I’m talking about battery cost unless your SPL db metre is fitted with dilithium crystals.

Then again if you want to talk about the cost of the SPL db metre mine cost £25.00 and its been dropped on concrete more times then you’ve had hot dinners and its still working.:p

toddalin
04-06-2011, 11:11 AM
That’s a lot of money for 9volt battery. I think your was mugged! :D I’m not talking about how much you spent on SPL db metre I’m talking about battery cost unless your SPL db metre is fitted with dilithium crystals.

Then again if you want to talk about the cost of the SPL db metre mine cost £25.00 and its been dropped on concrete more times then you’ve had hot dinners and its still working.:p

Well the meter takes two 9-volt batteries, and they last about a day in the field. If I'm doing 24-hour readings, that may go on for several days, I have an attachment that replaces the two batteries and allows me to use a 12 volt gel pack. The attachment was >$200.

The field calibrator uses one 9-volt battery and it lasts a year until it is replaced when the unit is recalibrated every year. (If I were to open the unit to change the battery, I would void the calibration seal.)

Calibration runs ~$450/year for the meter, the field calibrator, and the microphone. Even so, the meter has always been within 0.2 dB of specification in the calibration graphs, so nothing is ever done to it, other than a routine check out and certification.

Your meter may have been dropped and may still work for you, but use it for OSHA, Government, State, City, or any certifiable-work, write in your document what you used (don't forget to include the factory calibration records), and see how far that gets you.

Mine has paid for itself countless times over.

JBL 4645
04-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Mine has paid for itself countless times over.

What do, lease it out? I take that as a yes if “it’s paid off”.

I forget to mention my SPL db metre was almost set on fire by a candle a few years ago. :D I guess the sound was too hot!:p The plastic underneath near to the mix is melted.

Most new SPL db metres I’ve seen don’t have an output device. I might look for another of the same SPL db metre I prefer VU meters than LCD readouts. Also LCD if dropped on floor could crack the LCD!

Eaulive
04-06-2011, 03:47 PM

I forget to mention my SPL db metre was almost set on fire by a candle a few years ago. :D I guess the sound was too hot!:p The plastic underneath near to the mix is melted.

Most new SPL db metres I’ve seen don’t have an output device. I might look for another of the same SPL db metre I prefer VU meters than LCD readouts. Also LCD if dropped on floor could crack the LCD!

If for you, "to see a reading" is enough to say "it works" then fine. But for people who rely on this professionally, it's not enough.

Mine cost "only" 1400$ when I bought it and it's due for its calibration now.
As a matter of fact it's overdue.

maxwedge
04-06-2011, 03:58 PM
You should use the batteries with the pink bunny, their mo better!:p j/k
Maybe you should invest in rechargables? Better for the planet anyway. But, I think the rechargable type may have a slightly lower voltage, so make sure your device can use them.:dont-know:

JBL 4645
04-06-2011, 04:56 PM
You should use the batteries with the pink bunny, their mo better!:p j/k
Maybe you should invest in rechargables? Better for the planet anyway. But, I think the rechargable type may have a slightly lower voltage, so make sure your device can use them.:dont-know:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iu3GNfriqSE/TM9ziVJQabI/AAAAAAAAAI4/h6jdycFJU68/s200/energizer+bunny.jpg I’ll get Mr. Scott to energize the batteries. Captain, I don’t have the power.:D

I think the reachable battery would be exhausted within a few days. I’d have to have two 9volt reachable batteries while one is recharging I can be using the other. I’ll have a look for cheap 9volt reachable batteries.

I have to recharge the AA for my camera at least once every two days the flash eats the power up.

I might see if, The Pound Shop has any Duracell 9volt batteries next week. Anywhere else you’d be paying rip off prices for Duracell anywhere from £4.00 for a frigging 9volt!

maxwedge
04-06-2011, 05:08 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iu3GNfriqSE/TM9ziVJQabI/AAAAAAAAAI4/h6jdycFJU68/s200/energizer+bunny.jpg I’ll get Mr. Scott to energize the batteries. Captain, I don’t have the power.:D

I think the reachable battery would be exhausted within a few days. I’d have to have two 9volt reachable batteries while one is recharging I can be using the other. I’ll have a look for cheap 9volt reachable batteries.

I have to recharge the AA for my camera at least once every two days the flash eats the power up.

I might see if, The Pound Shop has any Duracell 9volt batteries next week. Anywhere else you’d be paying rip off prices for Duracell anywhere from £4.00 for a frigging 9volt!
You know that my real name is Scott right?
They use to call me Scotty Power in my band 'cause I was so loud and always had power to spare!
So yeah, so when one goes low then stick another in and recharge the other!:p

toddalin
04-06-2011, 05:08 PM

Yes, "lease it out" with my help included. My going rate is a steal at $75/hr. This usually entails the preparation of an Environmental Impact Report, also at that rate. Most people in my position charge twice that. I've had this meter ~15 years now.

JBL 4645
04-06-2011, 05:18 PM
You know that my real name is Scott right?
They use to call me Scotty Power in my band 'cause I was so loud and always had power to spare!
So yeah, so when one goes low then stick another in and recharge the other!:p

:rotfl: no kidding huh. I need warp "11" it's one louder! :D

JBL 4645
04-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Yes, "lease it out" with my help included. My going rate is a steal at $75/hr. This usually entails the preparation of an Environmental Impact Report, also at that rate. Most people in my position charge twice that. I've had this meter ~15 years now.

15 years!

I think I’ve had my Radio Shack SPL metre since mid 1990’s.

£45:96 that will buy nearly two weeks of shopping food!

Well I’m going to recharge myself now :p it’s been a long day.

maxwedge
04-06-2011, 05:45 PM
:rotfl: no kidding huh. I need warp "11" it's one louder! :DYep, my Marshall's go to 11. The Fender's too!:bouncy:

Eaulive
04-06-2011, 06:23 PM
It is cheap, we charge more than that.

JBL 4645
04-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Yep, my Marshall's go to 11. The Fender's too!:bouncy:

I had a feeling you’d say that. :D

Rolf
04-07-2011, 09:31 AM
You have no idea what you are talking about. Cheap, cheap, cheap. Listen to the ones above. Not everything is cheap. Price is a reflection of quality. Why do you think that a 52" flat screen is from -£ to +£ at the same size?

I had a feeling you’d say that. :D

JBL 4645
04-08-2011, 03:01 PM
You have no idea what you are talking about. Cheap, cheap, cheap. Listen to the ones above. Not everything is cheap. Price is a reflection of quality. Why do you think that a 52" flat screen is from -£ to +£ at the same size?

Why do some KW amps cost £££thousands when it may only cost ££hundreds! :D

hjames
04-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Why do some KW amps cost £££thousands when it may only cost ££hundreds! :D

I dunno - lets try some guesses!

Because some folks have tintitus and don't hear the difference on their speakers?

Because some folks have more money and buy pricier stuff to show their station in life?

Because some folks limit their audio budget and put a higher value on other things in their life?

Got any other theories, pilgrim? :applaud:

JBL 4645
04-08-2011, 03:24 PM
I dunno - lets try some guesses!

Because some folks have tintitus and don't hear the difference on their speakers?

Because some folks have more money and buy pricier stuff to show their station in life?

Because some folks limit their audio budget and put a higher value on other things in their life?

Got any other theories, pilgrim? :applaud:

Let’s say if Bill Gates gave me £10billion I’d give it to you to flash around because it means nothing to me. I have my plastic JBL and my cat and that’s all I want. I might keep £1million :D You'll be some£9.9billion better off. :p But would you know what to do with it? That's more money than 10 life times than you'll ever see. Remember money never buys happiness in life.

hjames
04-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Let’s say if Bill Gates gave me £10billion I’d give it to you to flash around because it means nothing to me. I have my plastic JBL and my cat and that’s all I want. I might keep £1million :D You'll be some£9.9billion better off. :p But would you know what to do with it? That's more money than 10 life times than you'll ever see.

What are you - some school child talking parables?

You're the one who naively asked - Why do some amps cost more than others??

10 Billion?? - That's more money than anyone here will probably see - in fact, its pure SWAG hyperbole - useless when it comes to having a real conversation with anyone.

Remember money never buys happiness in life.

Please come back to earth and talk real-world talk, and not some Beatles song schtick

JBL 4645
04-09-2011, 03:23 AM
Remember money never buys happiness in life.

What are you - some school child talking parables?

You're the one who naively asked - Why do some amps cost more than others??

10 Billion?? - That's more money than anyone here will probably see - in fact, its pure SWAG hyperbole - useless when it comes to having a real conversation with anyone.

Please come back to earth and talk real-world talk, and not some Beatles song schtick[/QUOTE]

Nah, I prefer up there :beamup: I’m from outer space then again it doesn’t “matter” to you…

...Why don’t you tend to the flowers in the garden take some pictures and pop over to off-topic its been a while since we’ve seen your garden.:)

toddalin
04-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Let’s say if Bill Gates gave me £10billion I’d give it to you to flash around because it means nothing to me. I have my plastic JBL and my cat and that’s all I want. I might keep £1million :D You'll be some£9.9billion better off. :p But would you know what to do with it? That's more money than 10 life times than you'll ever see. Remember money never buys happiness in life.

Well..., you see there's the problem right there. Your calculator doesn't seem to work any better than your noise meter. :p (Maybe they're made by the same company.) Perhaps you should invest in an hp calculator.

Hoerninger
04-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Perhaps you should invest in an hp calculator.
:thmbsup:

maxwedge
04-09-2011, 08:01 PM
I thought we were discussing batteries??:confused::confused::p

JBL 4645
04-10-2011, 04:01 AM
I thought we were discussing batteries??:confused::confused::p

You’d think after spending a lot of money on an SPL db metre , you’d think the least they can do is supply your first free battery.

Yet they give you, your first free batteries with a remote that comes with TV or DVD player.

The rest! *Batteries Not Included
http://mimg.ugo.com/201101/5/5/2/163255/cuts/batteries-not-included-fix-its_480_poster.jpg

What I need is one of these little people They're the fix-its. They like to fix things. They have that knack. :thmbsup:

cooky1257
04-10-2011, 07:06 AM
It's like entering an alternative universe following these threads, they're like some Dali-esque avant-garde performance piece.

hjames
04-10-2011, 07:16 AM
It's like entering an alternative universe following these threads, they're like some Dali-esque avant-garde performance piece.

I tend to think its like entering a room with a loud child ...
who doesn't quite follow the conversation but has to shout his way into every one of them nonetheless!
Oh, and slaps stupid pictures over the walls in the meantime ...

Pub-o-clock anyone?

JBL 4645
04-10-2011, 07:22 AM

Why are you an evil Spock then? :D
http://www.galaide.org/old_weblog/image/Evil_Spock.jpg

JBL 4645
04-10-2011, 07:33 AM
who doesn't quite follow the conversation but has to shout his way into every one of them nonetheless!

Pub-o-clock anyone?

Here’s a Sooty with pancake on his head. :D

SEAWOLF97
04-10-2011, 09:49 AM

Pub-o-clock anyone?

Here’s a Sooty with pancake on his head. :D

yup, gotta stop and watch the train wreck ...:eek:

Allanvh5150
04-10-2011, 12:48 PM
I would have thought that one of the clever folk here would have mentioned to get a rechargeable 9v battery. The do make them in 9v these days and if you are using that many batteries, they are a very good alternative.

:blink:

JBL 4645
04-10-2011, 12:56 PM
I would have thought that one of the clever folk here would have mentioned to get a rechargeable 9v battery. The do make them in 9v these days and if you are using that many batteries, they are a very good alternative.

:blink:

I did say in page 1 I’d look into it. Only I’d need x2 9volt one for charging while the other one is in use.

Allanvh5150
04-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Indeed you did but everyone else wanted to talk about other things.......

JBL 4645
04-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Indeed you did but everyone else wanted to talk about other things.......

What things was that, Al? :D oh those "things" yes I guess they have troubling things on their minds. Never mind tomorrow might be brighter day. :)

Oddly so I haven't had need to use the SPL db metre tonight that's one less few milliwatts I have to use on it tonight. :D

toddalin
04-10-2011, 05:16 PM
The question was, "How much do you spend on your SPL db metre?"

That's all I've been talking about. What I, and some others spend goes way beyond batteries. But you asked the question.

JBL 4645
04-12-2011, 07:02 AM
The question was, "How much do you spend on your SPL db metre?"

That's all I've been talking about. What I, and some others spend goes way beyond batteries. But you asked the question.

Yes in powering it! I mean its not much good without batteries, is it now.

Maybe I should buy some Eveready 9volt batteries http://www.audiolinks.com/Eveready/Ever_9V.jpg I hear they’ve got ever lasting power. :D

It even has a tiny picture of cat on it. :)

I got it! They make those wind-up radios and even touches! Why not a wind-up SPL db metre? That way you don’t have to keep spending money on batteries. Just a thought.

I have two containers full of batteries for later disposal when I take them down to a shop. You know what they, should do! If you hand in 10 or more batteries they should give you x2 free batteries of your choice.

I know I can daisy chain series the 9volt batteries together to get my last full 9volts from 10 or more batteries. Waste not, want not.;)

toddalin
04-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Yes in powering it! I mean its not much good without batteries, is it now.

Maybe I should buy some Eveready 9volt batteries http://www.audiolinks.com/Eveready/Ever_9V.jpg I hear they’ve got ever lasting power. :D

It even has a tiny picture of cat on it. :)

I got it! They make those wind-up radios and even touches! Why not a wind-up SPL db metre? That way you don’t have to keep spending money on batteries. Just a thought.

I have two containers full of batteries for later disposal when I take them down to a shop. You know what they, should do! If you hand in 10 or more batteries they should give you x2 free batteries of your choice.

I know I can daisy chain series the 9volt batteries together to get my last full 9volts from 10 or more batteries. Waste not, want not.;)

For my intents and purposes, its not much good without certification, even if it works perfectly with new batteries in it. For you it's a toy, but for me it's a tool.

The "cat of 9 lives" came from the acquisition of Ray-O-Vac.

JBL 4645
04-12-2011, 11:10 AM
For my intents and purposes, its not much good without certification, even if it works perfectly with new batteries in it. For you it's a toy, but for me it's a tool.

The "cat of 9 lives" came from the acquisition of Ray-O-Vac.

I might think about Phonic PAA3 PAA-3 is that a toy? I don't think so at over £230.00

Cat of 9volts! Maybe I should ask Sooty to stick his, tongue on the terminals. :p

toddalin
04-12-2011, 11:29 AM
I might think about Phonic PAA3 PAA-3 is that a toy? I don't think so at over £230.00

Yes, it's still a toy regardless of how much you pay.

And 230 pounds is nothing for a noise meter. Follow the link to the Larson Davis Model 720. This is the Volkswagon (entry level) of sound level meters and will set you back about $3,000 (or more). You'll also need the calibrator so plan andother $800-$1,000.

http://www.larsondavis.com/Model720.htm

What makes it a tool rather than a toy is it's purpose and use..., not its cost.

My HT system, Corvettes, and garden railroad are also toys based on their purpose and use. Doesn't matter what they cost.

JBL 4645
04-12-2011, 03:03 PM

And 230 pounds is nothing for a noise meter. Follow the link to the Larson Davis Model 720. This is the Volkswagon (entry level) of sound level meters and will set you back about $3,000 (or more). You'll also need the calibrator so plan andother $800-$1,000.

What makes it a tool rather than a toy is it's purpose and use..., not its cost.

My HT system, Corvettes, and garden railroad are also toys based on their purpose and use. Doesn't matter what they cost.

Are you a toy-boy?:p

timc
04-13-2011, 06:50 AM

I fully agree with you. No point in getting some pretty data, if the data is wrong. Or even if you don't know if it is correct. It might be.....or it might not......