PDA

View Full Version : JBL HP580 remove inner subwoofers, how to?

dadox
04-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Hi there! Hope will find some help here! Question is…How to access (to disassemble) the two inner subwoofer of the HP 580. I've found the Technical Manual of the Hp 520 (I think is same disassembling procedure). It tells:
1- Turn speaker upside down
2- Remove screws
3- Remove bottom panel then remove damping material
4- Remove 4 screws
5- Low frequency transducers are now free

But…what does it mean "are now free"? Can I remove either from the bottom panel? Or only the lower? If the second option is right, how can I remove the upper transducer? From the top of the speaker? Not sure, I suspect other upper components can create obstacles...Any help?

Fred Sanford
04-07-2011, 04:51 AM
Hi there! Hope will find some help here! Question is…How to access (to disassemble) the two inner subwoofer of the HP 580. I've found the Technical Manual of the Hp 520 (I think is same disassembling procedure). It tells:
1- Turn speaker upside down
2- Remove screws
3- Remove bottom panel then remove damping material
4- Remove 4 screws
5- Low frequency transducers are now free

But…what does it mean "are now free"? Can I remove either from the bottom panel? Or only the lower? If the second option is right, how can I remove the upper transducer? From the top of the speaker? Not sure, I suspect other upper components can create obstacles...Any help?

Love the avatar!

You might want to take a look at a few of the HP series white papers, there are differing configurations of the woofers in different models within that range. I think some are low in the cabinets & some are higher.

I've never had the woofs out of my HP420s, just took the bottoms off to check the x-overs & foam.

Pics also might help...

Good luck!

je

dadox
04-07-2011, 05:40 AM
[QUOTE=Fred Sanford;310423]Love the avatar!

You might want to take a look at a few of the HP series white papers, there are differing configurations of the woofers in different models within that range. I think some are low in the cabinets & some are higher.

I've never had the woofs out of my HP420s, just took the bottoms off to check the x-overs & foam.

Where can I find white papers of the HP580? I have those of HP520. Same 4way, only transducers are bigger. And it tells on page 2 "4- Remove 4 screws 5- Low frequency transducers are now free":
I've turned the speaker upside down, opened it, bottom panel removed, crossover also, and the dampling material. Lower sub is in his chamber. Upper sub is in his chamber. Far away from other equipment (front speakers are in another chamber, isolated from subs). Let's suppose...I want to recone UPPER sub...if I want to remove it...the only logic way is to remove the crystal on the top (seems to be vary difficult without damaging it), to permit to unscrew the top. And...if I uncrew the sbs from the bottom (when the speaker is upside down, does the UPPER sub DROP?? (I'm afraid of it) Instructions on Specifications give to me a little confusion. The four screws simply unlock subs from themselves? Is the upper screwed by itself somewhere on the upper panel? Do you have an email address? I will post the pdf so you can take a look at it also!. Thanks!