PDA

View Full Version : L101 & l200 questions

roychen
04-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Hi there,

Bitten by JBL bug and now evaluating 2 vintage: L101 and L200.
My audio room size: 3x3m
Powered amp: 7W 300B.
Source: jazz, olden days pop; female vocalists.

L101 (LE175DLH, LE14A)
- female voice a little ‘horny’ to my taste but acceptable. However, could L101 provide some level of imaging and layering with proper speaker placement (ie put on stand and off the back/side walls)?

L200 (LE85+HL91; LE15B)
- Should L200 sound better than L101 since it cost more when new in 1973?
- Understand LE15B needs no re-forming but can scratches (on them) be repaired?
- No similar repair kits as LE15A/136A for LE15B. Any future issue?
- Are imaging & sound layering possible with proper speaker placement?

Am thinking also the newer 4430/4425 but can they be driven by 300B in small room?

Many thanks - roy :)

HCSGuy
04-05-2011, 09:05 PM
This is my opinion, feel free to disagree. Also, I have never heard either of the exact speakers you are contemplating, however my current shop speaker is an L200 enclosure with a LE15A/LE85/HL91, which was my father's growing up (different enclosure), so I have listened to this speaker more than any other. The horn is very directional, and getting it to image is tough - they really want to be higher, or for you to be way back (my shop is about 7m x 12m and they fill it nicely). I don't think you can get far enough back in your room for them to image, or you will need to raise them 30cm or so. They're big enough that you don't have lots of flexibility to maneuver them, either. Durability shouldn't be an issue, provided you don't abuse them.

I would strongly recommend listening to the 4430's you mention; they're a much more balanced speaker and are less sensitive to placement, provided you have a way to attenuate the bass a little. They're one of my favorites...

roychen
04-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Yes. Understand 4430 is one of the longest produced JBL monitors with many followers. The article: ”Improvements in Monitor Loudspeaker Systems” by DAVID SMITH, D. B. KEELE, JR., AND JOHN EARGLE detailed why such 20+ year old design is still light-year ahead compare with many others.

Key concern is whether can 300B sufficiently power 4430 in that tiny room of mine? From many forums I learn that L300/L200/L101 can still be driven by 300B and if it is the same for 4430, I’ll be keen to look for a pair due to its unique dispersion design.

As my room is used only for 2-ch hifi; speakers can be put on stands for bass control & with freedom of placement to improve the sound separation, stage depth and quality.

Currently I’m using ProAc response 3.5 in near-field position with pair of Genesis Servo12 sub; on/off selectable. From the few auditions I have on JBLs so far, it seems the instruments; bass & male voice is thicker, more accurate and ‘real’; but if it is without some level of sound staging and layering; is not real hifi to me. In short, I hope to have a JBL that can work with 300B in small room and yet with ‘some’ level of sound staging; ….maybe a little like those Maggie, Quad or ProAc that I have been living with all these years. Any other recommendation besides 4430?

Cheers - roy:)