PDA

View Full Version : Heres a rare bird for yeah!

Cooljjay
04-04-2011, 08:07 PM
I went after a pair of speakers I seen today on CL. I get there and see they are JBL 030 but one cabinet doesn't look right. They were huge home built cabinets, I couldn't get them in the car so I opted to just remove the drivers. PITA since the builder didn't create a way to remove the drivers if need be. I pulled the one and there was a 075 and D130 as usually. The other cabinet contained something very very early. So here it is something you just don't see everyday. A 1948 D101. I am not sure what to do with it, as it is a rare find but I don't have a mate or a mono speaker that I can use it in, then the cone is toasted. Had to share.

http://i51.tinypic.com/281rokn.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/r7953l.jpg

Audiobeer
04-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Put it on Ebay. Enjoy the fruits of your labor! :applaud:

Cooljjay
04-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Put it on Ebay. Enjoy the fruits of your labor! :applaud:

I was thinking about that but it seems sad to let it go, as its a piece of history. Does anyone know when the last one should up on ebay and what they bring? I wish I had the system it came from, bet it was a gorgeous speaker.

John
04-05-2011, 12:10 AM
I was thinking about that but it seems sad to let it go, as its a piece of history.

Well if you have a museum keep it if not sell it and tell stories to the grand kids.;)

Cooljjay
04-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Well if you have a museum keep it if not sell it and tell stories to the grand kids.;)

Alright I will put it on the bay, now it better sell for enough to put a down payment on a house :p

oldsoundz
04-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Is that the only label on the speaker? Does it have a city/state noted?

Very cool piece.

I just found this from an earlier post by Steve Schell: It is in reference to a Venice Label D-130..

The D-130 you have pictured is a fairly early one, probably built in 1949. These are pretty rare in such nice condition. The earliest D-130s were built by Jim Lansing at his farm near San Diego, and the labels say "San Marcos, Calif." Then Lansing obtained space in a factory in Venice by mid 1947 and the labels say "Venice, Calif." Then the company he rented space from moved up to the San Fernando valley and the labels, like yours, say "Van Nuys, Calif." Lansing's company was only there for a few months before moving to a location on Fletcher Drive in Los Angeles. It is possible that there was some inaccuracy in labeling since the operation was moved several times in a short period of time. Your serial number may indicate a manufacturing date of September 1949, which was the month that Jim Lansing died. Glen, can you add anything?

Cooljjay
04-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Is that the only label on the speaker? Does it have a city/state noted?

Doesn't have the small round label, on the main label it is stamped with San Marcos, Ca.

oldsoundz
04-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Probably hand built by J.B. Lansing. Great history there.

Not sure about the value.

Would be a cool piece to own just to say you have something built
by the man!

John
04-05-2011, 12:42 PM
by the man!

Would be cooler if it paid for a down payment on a house!!!;)

Cooljjay
04-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Probably hand built by J.B. Lansing. Great history there.

Not sure about the value.

by the man!

Yep, I have a small 6in field coil speaker, that is also most likely built by him at his house. This one is really neat, but the smaller one is easier to display. I really wish I found it in the cabinet with the horn and x over. Would be the coolest most valuable mono speaker set up I have.

Would be cooler if it paid for a down payment on a house!!!;)

Yep I keep telling my self I will find a the audio find of a lifetime and be able to buy me a house and shop. You will most likely see me on one of those unlikely millionaire shows :D Then I can open one of the largest audio museums.

Eaulive
04-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Cool :applaud::yes: :cool:

Eaulive
04-05-2011, 07:04 PM
There it is, good luck!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultra-Rare-1948-JBL-D101-15-Woofer-Speaker-/220765354960?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3366a3fbd0

Cooljjay
04-05-2011, 09:11 PM
There it is, good luck!

Yep, lets see what happens. Now what should I do with the money? My 71 swinger needs a paint job, but then I could use a truck...maybe I should keep the money for a bit...don't really need anything for my system. Could always buy a ton of capacitors with the cash :p

Rolf
04-06-2011, 01:14 AM
I don't understand why you are selling it. If it was mine I would have it in a glass mounter for display. And for $110? No way.

JeffW
04-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Earl Scheib will paint any car for $29.95! (US humor, they probably don't have Earl Sheib in Norway).

Cooljjay
04-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Earl Scheib will paint any car for $29.95! (US humor, they probably don't have Earl Sheib in Norway).

Thats what I thought, I was tired of primer the roof after I removed the vinyl...figure a cheap paint job will keep that from happening....went to Earl Scheib....cost will be...1900$

I don't understand why you are selling it. If it was mine I would have it in a glass mounter for display. And for $110? No way.

I doubt it will stay at 107$. One sold in Feb for 1600$. If I had a system to use it in I would keep it, but just sitting it on a shelf wouldn't do anything for me. If I waited for the period horn and xover to come up for auction...I would be paying a crazy price...plus I would need to have the original cabinet built..Its better to put it on the market and let someone buy it whos been looking for one to complete their project.

hjames
04-06-2011, 01:05 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Scheib

Founded by Earl Scheib (February 28, 1908 - February 29, 1992) in Los Angeles in 1937 the company grew quickly following World War II
and by 1975 had branches in Germany and England, all company owned, with Scheib manufacturing his own paint through a wholly owned-subsidiary.

Earl Scheib ceased operations nationwide on July 16, 2010. The corporation will no longer honor its customer warranties.
Each store is now independently owned and operated by individual owners.

Cooljjay
04-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Earl Scheib ceased operations nationwide on July 16, 2010. The corporation will no longer honor its customer warranties.

Ah that explains the run down condition of the shop and the prices.

JeffW
04-06-2011, 02:45 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Scheib

Founded by Earl Scheib (February 28, 1908 - February 29, 1992) in Los Angeles in 1937 the company grew quickly following World War II
and by 1975 had branches in Germany and England, all company owned, with Scheib manufacturing his own paint through a wholly owned-subsidiary.

Heh, thanks for that! I can't remember where I used to see those old commercials, I'm guessing off the cable feeds from Dallas or Chicago.

Rolf
04-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Sell it to me. How much? including freight to Norway. Anyway, let somebody who cares (like me) get the hand of it.

Thats what I thought, I was tired of primer the roof after I removed the vinyl...figure a cheap paint job will keep that from happening....went to Earl Scheib....cost will be...1900$

I doubt it will stay at 107$. One sold in Feb for 1600$. If I had a system to use it in I would keep it, but just sitting it on a shelf wouldn't do anything for me. If I waited for the period horn and xover to come up for auction...I would be paying a crazy price...plus I would need to have the original cabinet built..Its better to put it on the market and let someone buy it whos been looking for one to complete their project.

Rolf
04-07-2011, 09:02 AM
I paint your car for nothing. That is, you pay for the color, and the freight to me and back to you.:D

JeffW
04-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Looks to me like you've shorted yourself a couple of years on the date. If I read the Steve Schell piece correctly, Lansing had moved out of the San Marcos location by early/mid '47.

"The earliest ones, built in San Marcos (beginning late 1946 or early 1947) and Venice (from mid 1947) "

Cooljjay
04-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Looks to me like you've shorted yourself a couple of years on the date. If I read the Steve Schell piece correctly, Lansing had moved out of the San Marcos location by early/mid '47.

"The earliest ones, built in San Marcos (beginning late 1946 or early 1947) and Venice (from mid 1947) "

Oops you are correct, I should have said 1946. For some reason I got the 2 locations mixed up. These allergies have my head all shorts of messed up...Least I have the right photos in the auction. I will add a note into the auction.

Sell it to me. How much? including freight to Norway. Anyway, let somebody who cares (like me) get the hand of it.

Your Welcomed to bid on the auction, I don't want to putt it as there are like 60 people watching the auction and it wouldn't be fair.

Altec Best
04-08-2011, 08:40 AM
I would keep it.It won't bring nearly the price it could have due to it needing to be re-coned.And you can't get the correct original cone for it anymore.But I just love having history like that in my possession to insure it's preservation.

But you can see why Altec sued Jim Lansing.It looks identical to the Altec 515 except for the color,wrinkled paint,cone & dust cap,and that's when they changed soon after the lawsuit.

I would have kept it.Not everyday you come across things like that. Great Find ! Good Luck with your auction. ;)

Progneta
04-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Not gonna lie, that looks like hybrid mix of a JBL and Altec 515...

audiomagnate
04-13-2011, 07:16 AM
Not exactly a down payment on a house: $455.

JeffW
04-13-2011, 07:37 AM

Nah, just a more modest abode!

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=50607&stc=1&d=1301187775

Eaulive
04-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Nah, just a more modest abode!

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=50607&stc=1&d=1301187775

I hope this is seriously braced, a couple of hundred watts and a pair of decent JBLs inside there will shake this shack to pieces :bouncy:

JeffW
04-13-2011, 09:45 AM
There's no power to it, but it's framed up with 2X4s just like a house. Surprisingly well made for the cost, and the loft is 2/3 decked to store even more junk up there. I bought it as a place to stash the equipment boxes that were taking over the place.

Cooljjay
04-13-2011, 09:57 AM

Yep I know, guess I will contuine to rent :banghead: Though tht shed looks pretty nice, a small window some nice stepping stones...yep I can live there oh and a loft...I can use that for guest :p

Oh well it was more then what I paid for them, the lady only wanted 20$ and would not let me pay her more. So far I've made 1144$ on them...not a bad investment. :D

Steve Schell
04-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Altec Best, Altec Lansing never sued Jim Lansing. They expressed displeasure over his use of the terms "Iconic" and "Lansing", and Jim made changes to pacify them which settled the matter. I have never seen evidence that a lawsuit was filed.