PDA

View Full Version : bx63a

opimax
04-03-2011, 07:26 AM
Since the BX63 is hard to find I have purchased a Paradigm x-30 to use instead. It worked great for 3 time before it started leting out some of the magic smoke. I was able to source another unit to be shipped tomorrow.

I need anther or 2 anyway so what else out there will perform the same functions? Cross over duty and the ability to sum L and R of my amp that doesn't bridge(swap phase 180 degrees) ? of course be in $100 price range

If anybone has a bx for sale let me know!!!

Mark

pos
04-03-2011, 10:26 AM
You can look for the very cheap reckhorn B1 (http://www.reckhorn.com/index.php?ln=en&prod=b2).
The HP filter+boost can achieve the same thing as the Q=2.0 HP filter of the bx63a.
The only thing missing is the mono summation, but it is easy enough to accomplish...
It is unbalanced but stereo, so you can make a cable with inverted polarity and effectively run your amp bridged.

I know Guido has also been using it and was quite happy with it (that's what decided me to buy one).

The current rechhorn B2 (http://www.reckhorn.com/index.php?ln=en&prod=b2) is even cheaper, but lacks the LP functionality.

toddalin
04-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Maybe you could try a dbx 110, 120, or similar and see if it works for you. They are easy to find. My 110 sums the channels, provides an adjustable bass boost, synthesizes a subharmonic (if desired), and provides a subwoofer output.

opimax
04-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Thx for the replies. I was not able to find either product before I could find 2 x-30s which I purchased. They do what I am looking for and were available :)

Mark

opimax
04-07-2011, 04:20 AM
I heard abourt it here I think, if you did search,...(j/k) :D

From memory only...

Paradigm x-30 came with 1 of their subs as a controller maybe as early as the 90's.

3 choices for hi pass 50, 80 and I believe 120 choose by which connection for you plug your RCAs into. Choices for low pass are detemined by rotorary knob in the front, continuous from 40ish to 200ish. 2 additoinal knobs, 1 for level and 1 for phase. If you use the 2 positive connection from a standard amp and then set the phase 180 oppisite you then have summed your amp or bridged it.

Specifics to my set up

I moved 2 300 watt Perreauxs upstairs, Adcom 760 and a x30. Full range out to x30. I use the home ver 3150 on the dq-10s, 1 of the 6000 w/fan "summed" on the DBX sub. Sounded pretty good last week the 3 times I heard it. Then no light , bad smell(no real smoke) no sound. It came with a Radio Shack power supply, supposedly worked correctly when I bought months ago???

Reconfigured the set up till I can reinstall 1 of 2 new to me X-30s. I am using the fixed XO in Adcom and a single channel in the Perreaux but it isn't the same at all. Next week I will restore it and think about testing my spare 2445 in tht DBX box

Mark