PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this for me?

oldsoundz
04-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Can't find it in the catalogs. Curious if it's worth grabbing? It has an LX5 crossover?

Anybody?

HCSGuy
04-02-2011, 08:02 PM
No, I don't know anything about it. But that hasn't stopped me from opinionating before, why should it now?

Looks like maybe a LE15B woofer on the bottom, don't know what's on top - maybe another mfr? LX5 would be for 500hz crossover to a 375/2440/2441, which isn't there. Enclosure looks like the back panel is particle board, sides are plywood, which makes me think homebuilt with scavenged parts, and maybe they kept the crossover just to fill the hole? It's also not ported, so it's doubtfully engineered. Lastly, I don't remember JBL ever doing a box with diagonal drivers on the face until the THX theater stuff in the early 90's, which is way out of the vintage of these parts.

IMO, you've got a crossover, a fair quality JBL woofer with a damaged cone, and an unknown, probably worthless second woofer. I'd pass, but let someone else chime in, tell me everything I said was wrong, and you are looking at Ed May's lost bass rig that's worth millions :p

oldsoundz
04-02-2011, 08:15 PM
The offset drivers did not look JBL to me but the cabinet does. It has a cutout in the rear for an
energizer which makes me think its factory. These other pics not previously posted to make me
think its factory.

The top woofer is not JBL but the lower is passive JBL I think pr15.

The crossover is confusing me unless it had a horn and driver that sat on top.

Audiobeer
04-02-2011, 09:08 PM
If the Crossovers are unmolested should be worth something!!! I have know ideal what the cabinet was meant to be originaly? It's definitely been changed to a clusterf%&$.

HCSGuy
04-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Once again, you got me! - I didn't even think of a PR15. Cabinet interior shot looks good too, like a factory built box. The energizer cutout is odd, though, as that was only used in speakers meant for home or recording studio use - I think by the time they got into sound reinforcement, energizers were gone and JBL was making rack mounted amps. It's configured like a theater speaker that would have a 2440/HL90 on top, but that's not a market JBL pursued during the late 60's/early 70's when this would have been built, unless it is an early custom job. If you have the dimensions, it could be a reworked 4331/4333 box with a new front baffle, or even an older 4320box with the front overhangs cut off - the 4320's had the energizer cutout.

Anyway, there's nothing left of it, but it does peak one's curiosity, doesn't it...

Audiobeer
04-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Let me now how you come out. Im good for the crossovers.

oldsoundz
04-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Thanks guys!

This is a single cabinet and over an hour drive each way.

To me it looked like a weird sub but the LX5 didn't make sense.

The crossover it actually sort or different in it's appearance to with a red lx5 sticker.

Audiobeer
04-03-2011, 07:09 PM
I have a pair with the red LX5 stickers I bought on Ebay. When I unpacked them a year later I found out those were useless and had been monkeyed with. So apperently some do have the red stickers!

oldsoundz
04-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Nobody knows what this is???

subwoof
04-04-2011, 11:38 AM
I have never seen an LX5 that is painted with the *pro* gray color in 30+ years...and the back of the box is suspect. I betcha someone made a custom subwoofer with parts salvaged from a sovereign. And the bottom speaker is the PR15 - note the lack of leadwire points..:)

don't waste your gas.

Lee in Montreal
04-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Rodgers Organ Company made a similar cabinet, using a passive JBL PR15 woofer.

In fact, there should not be two different active woofers in the same enclosure unless they are exactly identical.

vernb
05-12-2013, 05:55 AM
Rodgers Organ Company made a similar cabinet, using a passive JBL PR15 woofer.

In fact, there should not be two different active woofers in the same enclosure unless they are exactly identical.

Yes but that cabinet had PR15 and the custom made D-140R woofers. I have them.
D140R looks like a 2216/LE15B but has the heavier cone like LE15a and paper dust cap, unlike other D-series woofers. Gives a real punchy proper LF punch
Vernb

Mike F
05-15-2013, 08:00 PM
My guess would be EVM-15b and PR 15