PDA

View Full Version : LE25 Foam Surround whats the scoop?

91boz
03-28-2011, 05:16 PM
I have a pair of L100 from the 70's that are missing the foam surround around both tweeters. Is this foam disc really necessary? My speakers are in excellant condition and still sounds great 40 years later. It is only the foam surround around the tweeter that has disinegrated due to the age. Is it worth the time and energy to try and rebuild and replace the foam?

Don C
03-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Don't buy the reproduction parts on ebay. They don't fit well, because the center hole is smaller than the originals.

Rolf
03-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Of course it is neccaserry. Why do you think it was there?:)

I have a pair of L100 from the 70's that are missing the foam surround around both tweeters. Is this foam disc really necessary? My speakers are in excellant condition and still sounds great 40 years later. It is only the foam surround around the tweeter that has disinegrated due to the age. Is it worth the time and energy to try and rebuild and replace the foam?

grumpy
03-29-2011, 08:04 AM
... if it bothers you, or you think you might hear a difference, sure...:)

1) they'll look nicer
2) it may help sounds seem more distinct (less diffuse) as it is intended
to limit diffraction effects from the cabinet edges (making sound like there
are multiple tweeter locations).

call JBLpro and cross your fingers...

http://www.jblproservice.com/parts.html

part numbers used to be:

LE25 #50402
LE25-2 #53363
LE25-4 #54279

(that last bit was cut/pasted from a several years old wardsweb post
LE25-2 part number still shows up in the tech sheet pdf that's available for 4311b)

badman
03-29-2011, 12:58 PM
It was pretty commonplace way back when to use a lot of felt and acoustic treatments on the faces of speakers. Alas, not so much nowadays, which is unfortunate as it's a method that can yield pretty great improvements when done with your noggin.