PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I'm looking to sell but I do not know what I have.

NewGuy
03-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Hi everyone,

obviously I am new here :D but I would like to get some help from you guys and possibly help you out as well.

I just received a bunch of audio equipment from my grandfather because I find interest in electronics. I have new age audio equipment and I have no use for the stuff I was given. I was hoping on getting some clarity on what I exactly I have. I have three speakers and what i believe is a cross-over.

1. D130A
2. D123
3. 1217-1290, 175
4. N1200

I also have a bunch of paperwork which leads me to believe my grandfather was going to build a C40 or C34 enclosure with some of the components. Other paperwork includes:

1. 4 copies of "installation...wiring...operation" pamphlets
2. Short Dictionary of High Fidelity Terms and Definitions
3. C34 Enclosure Instructions in two different looking pamphlets
4. Two different C40 advertisement papers
5. C40 Driver Installation Instructions
6. 2 Same 130A & 130B Bulletin Advertisements
7. D130 Bulletin Advertisement
8. D131 Bulletin Advertisement
9. D208 & D216 Bulletin Advertisement
10. 175DLH Bulletin Advertisement
11. 075 HF Radiator Bulletin Advertisement

Maybe I can finish what my grandfather had started. I would be so happy if i could actually even build whatever my grandfather was going to and bring it to him the next time I go see him.

Eaulive
03-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Hi everyone,

obviously I am new here :D but I would like to get some help from you guys and possibly help you out as well.

I just received a bunch of audio equipment from my grandfather because I find interest in electronics. I have new age audio equipment and I have no use for the stuff I was given. I was hoping on getting some clarity on what I exactly I have. I have three speakers and what i believe is a cross-over.

1. D130A
2. D123
3. 1217-1290, 175
4. N1200

I also have a bunch of paperwork which leads me to believe my grandfather was going to build a C40 or C34 enclosure with some of the components. Other paperwork includes:

1. 4 copies of "installation...wiring...operation" pamphlets
2. Short Dictionary of High Fidelity Terms and Definitions
3. C34 Enclosure Instructions in two different looking pamphlets
4. Two different C40 advertisement papers
5. C40 Driver Installation Instructions
6. 2 Same 130A & 130B Bulletin Advertisements
7. D130 Bulletin Advertisement
8. D131 Bulletin Advertisement
9. D208 & D216 Bulletin Advertisement
10. 175DLH Bulletin Advertisement
11. 075 HF Radiator Bulletin Advertisement

Maybe I can finish what my grandfather had started. I would be so happy if i could actually even build whatever my grandfather was going to and bring it to him the next time I go see him.

If you have all this in it's original state it maybe worth good money for collectors.
However if you intend to build it go for it, you maybe surprised by this "old" stuff. :applaud:

NewGuy
03-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Original state is an understatement... I do not know how to prove that the drivers are in NEW NEW in box condition.

What is the involvement in building a C40 cabinet? Were these cabinets given as just instructions or were they sold as parts (legs, grill, terminals) in a kit.

HCSGuy
03-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Start looking here, in the library:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/plans/jbl-plans.htm

I know there are no C40 plans, but you can see what's involved in a vintage type build. JBL did not sell kits - they sold raw components (woofers, crossovers, etc), finished enclosures, or complete built speakers. If you didn't like their enclosure, you could use their design manual to build your own, or design one yourself. If you're patient, unloaded enclosures show up occasionally on CL or Ebay for pretty cheap, as the sellers have already stripped and sold the valuables. Unfortunately, these also can usually use some veneer work.

Good luck!

NewGuy
03-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks HCSGuy, I will look into that. I would like to see if it would be easy for me to build a cabinet. That is what my grandfather was going to do and i know my way around a woodshop.

So it seems like the bulk of the value is in the individual components. Does the value go up if it is a part of a set?

HCSGuy
03-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Does the value go up if it is a part of a set?

No, not in this case, and it goes down further still if they are built into an enclosure. JBL produced all these parts individually, in large quantities - what you have is not rare, and is not even that rare in NOS condition ("New Old Stock", meaning in the boxes, unused, but old), so chances are the person you would be selling them off to is a collector who already has a collection of parts and is buying yours for one of the parts more than the others. Furthermore, that buyer (the one who will pay the most) is probably overseas in Europe or Asia, where this hobby is more expensive, so they are used to paying more. Therefore, freight is a big deal, so selling off each piece individually, without a cabinet, is the way to get the most money for them.

That said, I understand the value of finishing the project for your grandfather, and respect you for your willingness to do so. If the drivers are unused, still in the boxes, it will hurt their value a little to install and use them, as screw marks around the holes drop them from NOS to used, excellent condition. However, if the boxes are missing, most buyers will assume they are used anyway, so if you are very gentle with them, the loss in value from letting your grandfather enjoy them for some time will be miniscule, provided they are not abused or placed in direct sunlight.

Enjoy, and post pictures of your build!

Cooljjay
03-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Another thing you will need to think about before buliding a cabinet. Is that the components you have will build a single 001 mono speaker, if you want to have stereo you would have to build 2 cabinets and locate another 001 system. The D123 is considered a full range 12" driver those are pretty cheap and a pair of nice 12" cabinets can easily be located on the local CL. Also builiding acoustically correct cabinets, is no easy task. I've never encountered a acoustically correct home built cabinet. Your best bet may be to sell off the stuff and use the proceeds to buy a nice pair of speakers like the famous L100's.

NewGuy
03-23-2011, 12:22 PM
I already have a decent HT setup, but i am missing the lows. I am wanting to build a dual 15" 4th order sub enclosure so I can rattle my house apart when i play my duf duf techno beats.

I have some thinking to do i guess. I did not see any cabinets online today and I almost feel that I wont find what I want. c34 or c40.

Cooljjay
03-23-2011, 01:15 PM
I am wanting to build a dual 15" 4th order sub enclosure so I can rattle my house apart when i play my duf duf techno beats.

:blink: ekk I think you should sell them to someone who will appreciate them and look for something new to build a subwoofer out of. Look at some EV stuff or JBL pro stuff. The speakers you have are meant to play music through, they were a very desirable speaker back in the day and still are. Just look for a good subwoofer or upgrade your system to use a pair of Cerwin Vegas.

No offense but using these as a woofer to play techno beats, is like using a pair of Western Electric speakers for you cars subwoofer to play ghetto rap with.

Post in the General audio discussion area with what you are looking to build and people can point you into the right direction.

Vintage speakers aren't meant to play todays bass driven music. Also I would think your system is 4ohm output with some crazy high watt output...these speakers are meant for very very low output 50watts is pushing older speakers.

grumpy
03-23-2011, 01:29 PM
... I don't think that was being proposed.

NewGuy
03-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Cooljjay,

The big Lebowski is correct. I have undeniable respect for what I have received and that is ultimately why I am here trying to get information. I know that these components do not belong in my arsenal of noise. I only wish I had a clear thought on what I could use them for that would be of some significance to me beside saying that they are my grandfathers.

I only mentioned my subwoofer plans as a way to show what I know and want from my audio setup.

Please do not confuse my electronic house music to some overly auto-tuned Krap. I would never abuse my JBL speakers to that level of disgust.

Cooljjay
03-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Cooljjay,

The big Lebowski is correct. I have undeniable respect for what I have received and that is ultimately why I am here trying to get information. I know that these components do not belong in my arsenal of noise. I only wish I had a clear thought on what I could use them for that would be of some significance to me beside saying that they are my grandfathers.

I only mentioned my subwoofer plans as a way to show what I know and want from my audio setup.

Please do not confuse my electronic house music to some overly auto-tuned Krap. I would never abuse my JBL speakers to that level of disgust.

Ok. I think the only thing you will be able to do with these speakers. Is make what they were meant to be. A mono rig. Keep an eyeout for a cabinet, get a mono tube amp/tuner/phono and turn it into a mono rig for the bedroom or someplace. Mono rigs are nice. I have like 6 mono rigs around here.

NewGuy
03-24-2011, 12:12 PM
I believe I have a tube amp around somewhere! Time to start digging!

Cooljjay
03-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I believe I have a tube amp around somewhere! Time to start digging!

Start digging for the amp. Mono systems are fun, this is one I just through together in my bedroom. I plan to get a mono turntable I have downstairs oiled and put with it. Another option you can consider is finding a 15" speaker box just for the woofer. The horn and crossover doesn't necessarily have to be installed in a box, they can sit ontop.

http://i56.tinypic.com/307yals.jpg

grumpy
03-24-2011, 12:41 PM
I'd look at the C34 plans that are in the place pointed out in post #4.
Fits in a corner nicely (not in the way and probably helps the low end
a bit), looks sharp, and sounds nice. D123 might pay for the wood :)

If you want the C40 (sideways version of C34... -ish), some more info
is here (although you'd have to figure out or research the horn path):

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1962/page16-17.jpg

NewGuy
03-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Well I guess I was wrong. I have a solid state amplifier and am/fm stereo. From what I remember tube amps are a pretty penny. :crying:

Cooljjay
03-24-2011, 07:04 PM
From what I remember tube amps are a pretty penny. :crying:

Depends on what you want they can be had from consoles for very cheap but they need a little modification and upgrade. I just picked up a neat little mono amp from an old voice of music console. I also have a few on the shelves down stairs. they go pretty cheap and sound pretty good with a little work. Now once you've discovered the tube sound, you will want bigger and better...then they will cost a pretty penny...One like the one on my speaker below just sold for like 750$...I was hoping to get it to make a stereo pair...but after 200$...I backed out.

NewGuy
03-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Hmmm. This is turning into a big project really fast. I do not know if i should put it on my project list... which is more like a book now.

Grumpy made mention of selling the D123. How much would that go for? $50-60? This is the one piece that was not in the factory box but is in new condition.