PDA

View Full Version : Replacement/Upgrade Speaker Components Suggestions Needed

LE8T-PR8
03-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Many years ago I made stereo speakers and now I want to replace the components. The cabinets shown in the attached photos have internal dimensions of 32 in. high, 15 in deep, and 17 in. wide, about 4.7 ft^3. It has a 15 in. woofer and an oval shaped midrange, and small tweeter. Could you suggest new components and where they can be purchased?

The speakers are for home use with a VTL 50/50 amp at about 50 watts/channel, playing mainly classical music of various eras. The room size is about 25 X 15 and I think the amp will be sufficiently powered. I'm using is on a different system currently. A smaller woofer would also be fine.
50492d50491?

Mr. Widget
03-17-2011, 10:27 AM
One easy answer would be to fit the components from an L300 into the box and outfit it with a modern charge coupled 3133 crossover... everything you need to do it well is posted here... I'd guess it would cost you around a grand perhaps a bit over.

If you want to spend a lot less, the work of our late friend Zilch comes to mind. One of his "quick and dirty" or "econowave" projects should fit the bill.

Widget