PDA

View Full Version : Lancer 77

bob newton
08-31-2004, 07:08 AM
Hello Gentlemen and Ladies,

I just purchased a pair of lancer 77's that need new foam surrounds. What are my options? Is it something I can do myself? Can the origional surround be purchased? What about color? All I can find is black or grey. Is there any voice coil centering involved?

Gorden,you are a pretty smart fello and have helped me in the past. What do you think??

droh
08-31-2004, 03:08 PM
Hi Bob,

Before you encounter the wrath of the senior members you might want to try a search on here. There are a number of threads on the topic of surrounds in general and the lansaloy surrounds that you have on those L77s in particular. Try seraching on "lansaloy" and see what you get.

boputnam
08-31-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by droh
...the wrath of the senior members :flamer: :bash: :moon:

Ah, much better now... ;)

Anyway, there is a Thread on surrounds and DIY surrounds (http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=95602&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending), repleate with resources. It's kinda fun if you're goofy like we are... :nutz:

bob newton
08-31-2004, 04:20 PM
shuit bo, sometimes you are funny. but thats ok. Just keep it in ur sneaker

GordonW
08-31-2004, 10:02 PM
The gray foam surrounds work fine on L77 woofers and PRs. Yes, there's some centering involved... fortunately, those woofers have a strong tendency to "self-center", when a new surround is installed. Just use the white glue that comes with most surround kits (or just plain old Elmers white glue- on paper-to-foam joints, there's no functional difference between that and the 'specialized' glues, IME) and the signal generator method, to make sure that the speaker is "centered" properly.

BTW: I still have some of the 10" gray foam surrounds for LE10s and PR10s... I've been selling 'em to people on the board for $25 for the set of 4 (for an L77 pair, that's how many are required), shipped USPS within the USA...

Regards,
Gordon.

bob newton
09-01-2004, 08:01 AM
GORDON W

OK Gordon, I take it that the white surrounds are not available? If grey is all there is,then grey it has to be ! What about the 30hz test signal? can I do this with my old frequency audio generator? I have had much experence with old tube type radios and I have lots of old test equipment. Speaker repair is new to me . How do I go about purchasing the surrounds from you? Thanks !

droh
09-01-2004, 08:19 AM
I know that lansaloy surrounds (the white/light yellow stuff) are no longer available. And given there half life that's probabaly a good thing. But they did have a certain look that I kind of miss when we replace them with boring grey. Has anyone ever pursued having some replacement surrounds made in a color closer to the white/yellow of lansaloy? I asked Rick Cobb about it and he didn't sound too interested. As an alternative does anyone know of a way to paint or otherwise color the grey ones so they would have that color without compromising the surround itself?

Yeah I know this is over the top, but hey - it's worth asking.

bob newton
09-01-2004, 08:25 AM
Right on Droh ! If they make them in black or grey, why couldn't they make white ones?

4313B
09-01-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by droh
But they did have a certain look that I kind of miss when we replace them with boring grey.I prefer the color contrast of the dark surrounds and dust caps, the white cones, and the silver frames. Not quite as nice looking as a naked raven haired woman with a cream complexion standing proud in silver stilettos, but not all that bad for a loudspeaker either.

droh
09-01-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Giskard
I prefer the color contrast of the dark surrounds and dust caps, the white cones, and the silver frames. Not quite as nice looking as a naked raven haired woman with a cream complexion standing proud in silver stilettos, but not all that bad for a loudspeaker either.

Ummm, can't argue with that, but seems like you are talking about more than speakers there. Actually I have LE8T-2s that I am working with right now, so they have the boring gray cones already but they do have silver fingernails, err I mean domes (or would domes be something different on your lady?)

Mr. Widget
09-01-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Giskard
I prefer the color contrast of the dark surrounds and dust caps, the white cones, and the silver frames. Not quite as nice looking as a naked raven haired woman with a cream complexion standing proud in silver stilettos, but not all that bad for a loudspeaker either.

:rotfl: