PDA

View Full Version : Removal help for LE175 driver/horns from L101

brabus420
03-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Long time reader but first time post. I have a pair of L101 Dorians that I've owned for some time that I'm in the process of restoring. I am a complete amateur so apologies if this is an easy question.

I got everything out except for the horns and drivers. How do you correctly and safely remove from the cabinet. I've removed the four screws on front but not sure which else I need to remove. Any help much appreciated. I don't want to 'hurt' the drivers/speakers. Thanks!!

locanti
03-17-2011, 08:09 AM
First you have to unscrew the clamp,then push the clamp to the driver.Unpluged the driver and then pull the horn and driver through the face of the loudspeaker.:)

brabus420
03-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Perfect. That did the trick! I am having the wood refinished on these babies by a local guy who has done amazing work on a couple Klipsch heresy speakers in the past. The crossovers are going through a look over by my audio tech and I've already gotten the LE14 woofers refoamed at A Broun Sound = authorized JBL repair place. Trying to make these perfect. By the way, I also have the original boxes, packing material, all paperwork, etc. These are keepers! Pics to come soon!

brabus420
03-18-2011, 05:37 PM
One more thing, when removing the LE175 the label fell off the horn (the label attached to the side of the horn not the driver). What glue should I use to reattach? I know it sounds silly but I want to make sure I do it right as I am very particular. Thanks!!

HCSGuy
03-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Please PM me with your wood guy - I've got a pair of 4315's who's veneer could use some attention. Also, please post pictures when you're done - they should look fabulous!

I have stopped using A Brown Soun and switched to Audivex in Berkeley - much more consistent quality, though it's a one man shop with weird hours. I also don't mind the drive to Berkeley as much as I detest the drive to San Rafael.

Good luck with the project.